Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN: 'Vikings cannot let Keenum walk after this season'
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@MaroonBells said:
The height of arrogance to let him leave? What the hell does that mean? Everyone is for having a contract conversation with Case Keenum. Whether we sign him or not depends on how much his agent thinks he's worth vs. how much the Vikings think he's worth. Those two things may not be as close as Seifert thinks, especially considering the fact that we have two other talented QBs who may factor into the decision. 
I think the arrogance would be in the organization believing that Case is a placeholder and that any semi-competent QB could have accomplished the same results given the tools around him, and the defense keeping us in games. Pretty sure that was the consensus among a lot of people for most of his time as a starter. Zimmer didn't give him much credit with the "horseshoe up his butt" comment. I would hope that maybe even the experts could admit that they had it all wrong, and while not perfect, Case has the intangibles that make him a bonafide upper tier NFL starter. At least for now.
is he or isnt he?  you hedged your comment with the "at least for now".    I get it,  he has question marks especially with the changes coming at OC,  so when talking about the future its really hard to say he is going to be worth paying upper tier money as you say he is.
On a side note and related to new OC.

Case certainly proved he can learn a new offense pretty quickly this year with Shurmur.  Bradford has been working with Shurmur since drafted by the Rams/Eagles/Vikes.  Case seems to be a fast learner or at least at the age of 29 was able to pick up on the new scheme quickly.  That said, I hope we keep Shurmur's underling (Name???).  Keep the system that the QB has been successful in and not try to change...run the same damn thing until it is stopped.  I can't help but think that our offense can be even better next year with Cook as a dual threat and Case running the show.  

Let's see how this season ends. Right now, Case (and Diggs) are the Kings of Minnesota. If we win it all, you need to sign or franchise Case. Just cannot let him go.
What will happen to  Spielman or his reputation if he lets Case walk and whoever he brings in falls short while Case goes to Denver and takes them to a SB? He would be mocked for failing to see what every casual fan could see; what anyone who watched the end of the Saints game could see.  Signing or franchising Case is simply a lot less risky than not.

If Teddy is healthy, I think the team rolls with him.  But is he really back to form?  Why did they activate Sam if he was?

So Spielman caught flak for signing Rudy and Wright to contract extensions before they had put up enough of a body of work to merit those deals in the minds of many here but one year of Case with a red-hot OC that was.uber in demand to be a HC with Elite WRs and good weapons all around equals "Sign him up or else"?

I can't keep up any more Wink

We don't have much say in the matter, except to applaud or bitch about the decision that will be made.

My take would be to sign Case to a reasonable starter contract with protections if he doesn't win the starting job.  Bring back Teddy on a prove it deal and have them fight it out in camp next year.  I think Sam is done, health wise you just can't trust him.

Quote: @Ponifan said:
If Teddy is healthy, I think the team rolls with him.  But is he really back to form?  Why did they activate Sam if he was?
I think people have been reading way too much into that simple decision. Sam's just a better, more experienced QB. He has more arm talent than anyone on the team. If he's healthy, it makes sense to have him #2. He'd be starting Sunday if it weren't for the whole "don't fix what ain't broken"  thing.  

Another thing is that Bradford presents a totally different game plan for defenses. Keenum and Teddy are similar QBs. You probably wouldn't have to change your defense much switching from one to the other. Going from Case to Sam would give the Vikings a big advantage.

As far as which QB they commit to? I honestly don't have the foggiest. Could go either way.  But they know they can't screw this up. I just wish we could put Case's balls on a body with Sam's arm and Teddy's head. 

GMF Analyst on Case. Sorry if this has already been posted.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Ponifan said:
I think people have been reading way too much into that simple decision. Sam's just a better, more experienced QB. He has more arm talent than anyone on the team. If he's healthy, it makes sense to have him #2. He'd be starting Sunday if it weren't for the whole "don't fix what ain't broken"  thing.  

Another thing is that Bradford presents a totally different game plan for defenses. Keenum and Teddy are similar QBs. You probably wouldn't have to change your defense much switching from one to the other. Going from Case to Sam would give the Vikings a big advantage.

As far as which QB they commit to? I honestly don't have the foggiest. Could go either way.  But they know they can't screw this up. I just wish we could put Case's balls on a body with Sam's arm and Teddy's head. 
I wouldn't want Bradford starting this weekend even if he's completely healthy...  the Eagles defense is built to stop a QB like that.  They made him look like a fool last season by moving him off his spot with interior pressure and forcing some terrible decisions/turnovers.  That's pretty much been his MO for his entire career.

Keenum gives up a lot in pure arm talent to Bradford, but his ability to extend plays and avoid sacks is a HUGE X-factor for a defense to account for.  I actually think he gives us a better chance to win against the Eagles this Sunday.

Quote: @UHcougar33 said:
GMF Analyst on Case. Sorry if this has already been posted.

You just found the one show I can't watch. I love the coverage we're getting and the stat about Keenum vs. Brady is actually interesting but these four are such cornballs. It's football for Millenials. Have it hosted by some cute chick, a former player, and then two goofy New York hipster guys.

No one has earned a starting job for the 2018 season. That won't happen until August.  Keenum has earned to right to start as far as he takes this team in the playoffs this postseason.