Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Social media is ripping society apart'
Maybe this is true but there are still plenty of people who do not use social media at all and probably a good percentage that do use it, hardly use it at all.

I'm not too worried about it.

But I am old and grumpy.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I've got Facebook and have a total of 3 friends due to my wife using it.  I get requests, but I always politely decline as I dont really use it as it was intended,  I pretty much use it to look at social pages for organizations and for sale pages for used outdoors stuff.  Other than that I am usually scared at what I see on some peoples pages....ugh.

( oh and when my kids start dating some body I don't know...yeah...I think it's called creeping  :# )
I was over 1,000 friends, so I disabled my profile for about a year, and then when I re-started it a few months ago, I deleted most of them. I have it down to about 50-ish people and basically use it as my personal e-mail and that's about it. Slowly deleting photos and posts as time goes on, too. It's just not worth it. Some think it's the anonymity, but facebook isn't really anonymous... it's just "safe". People feel free to spew whatever they want knowing that nobody is willing to call anyone out in public.

LOL I also wouldn't talk politics on facebook.  

Half the people would hate me.  

Half hate me here - but it's different.  People that know me could stop paying rent etc. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
LOL you can’t make this shit up. Bunch of old people bitching about social media on one of the oldest forms of social media out there. 

Cracks me up man. Literally the same gripes about anonymity, echo chambers, inane arguments, false info being diseminated, and everything else is exactly the same thing that happens here (or on other forums) and the bitching pissing and moaning is the same too! 

pure comedy. 
Get off my lawn, ya damn kid.   =)

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
LOL you can’t make this shit up. Bunch of old people bitching about social media on one of the oldest forms of social media out there. 

Cracks me up man. Literally the same gripes about anonymity, echo chambers, inane arguments, false info being diseminated, and everything else is exactly the same thing that happens here (or on other forums) and the bitching pissing and moaning is the same too! 

pure comedy. 
Yeah, sorry... this is completely different. That's like saying the Antikythera Mechanism is the same thing as an iPhone.

A message board is only discussion, and with very little outside interference. Things like Facebook and Twitter have people controlling what you see and how you see it to an extreme level.

Quote: @Max said:
@Mike Olson said:

pure comedy. 
Yeah, sorry... this is completely different. That's like saying the Antikythera Mechanism is the same thing as an iPhone.

A message board is only discussion, and with very little outside interference. Things like Facebook and Twitter have people controlling what you see and how you see it to an extreme level.
you dont think message boards can be controlled?   :p B)

@Max said:
@Mike Olson said:

pure comedy. 

you dont think message boards can be controlled?   :p B)
Schism!!!!!

Quote: @greediron said:
IMO, social media is a symptom, not the cause.  It may have a hand in the behavior and certainly feeds the beast, but the selfish, look at me generation was already there waiting for it.  It isn't the "this generation... blah blah blah, get off my lawn" either.  There are some serious issues with a majority of the youth.  Horrible behavior, so much lacking. 
would help if bad people would stop having 6 children, drugged out of their minds, and not giving a shit about their children. Parenting is a lost art. 

Quote: @golfervike said:
@greediron said:
IMO, social media is a symptom, not the cause.  It may have a hand in the behavior and certainly feeds the beast, but the selfish, look at me generation was already there waiting for it.  It isn't the "this generation... blah blah blah, get off my lawn" either.  There are some serious issues with a majority of the youth.  Horrible behavior, so much lacking. 
would help if bad people would stop having 6 children, drugged out of their minds, and not giving a shit about their children. Parenting is a lost art. 
I dont think a lack of parenting skills is exclusive to the druggies.  I can think of plenty of kids that were raised by sober parents that were pretty fucked up as well.

@golfervike said:
@greediron said:
I dont think a lack of parenting skills is exclusive to the druggies.  I can think of plenty of kids that were raised by sober parents that were pretty fucked up as well.
of course. wasn't pigeon holing it to just them. I just see/hear more about it because of the Fiancee's line of work. It's amazing the absolute lack of responsibility some people have.