Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adrian Peterson, 10 carries, 17 yards
Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
Oh, I know it's not involuntary. I realize there's study involved. I don't think it takes a boy genius to learn though. My point simply is that we had a young man join our team this spring who was eager and willing to do whatever the team asked and became quite brilliant at it from the get-go. And, BTW, he's a hell of a runner in his own right, too.
It's not so much that Adrian would have been a better player. He was a great player. I definitely appreciate his years with the team and the offensive weapon he was. The problem was that he wasn't an all-around kind of back, which in the current NFL mold is a more complete player who can block, catch and run. For our team these past few years we needed a guy like that because we needed someone who could help in pass pro and also have the ability to catch a pass so that we weren't having to send Adrian straight into the teeth of the defense on every down.
Well I think he did more of it in college than Adrian did in college though as well. 

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
Toby just wasn't a good running back at all. He might have been able to block but he was terrible. I never cared for him. 

And yeah early on he definitely should have been held accountable in the blocking dept. It isn't like he was on the field a ton his first year until later on in the year. Of course we had Taylor at the time too. So yes he should have been made into a complete back early on. 

And if he wasn't because he was so good at running the ball that still is on the coaching staff and the GM possibly for not demanding him to do more. 

If they asked him to do more and he didn't and refused to well.... You can see our trophy case over his career here. Now is it all his fault? Of course not but it's a team game..... And that's my point. It's a team game. 
if AD was held out for anybody back in those days the fans would have rioted,  as it was they were pissy with the limited snaps that CT got.  AD got 238 carries as a rookie, as opposed to 137 for CT,  and AD missed 2 games due to injury so he was getting the lions share of the workload that year already.  Its pretty hard to ticket buying fans that their fancy new toy cant be seen this week because he wasnt doing his homework.  I am pretty sure that it would have just been one more reason for the fans to hate on Childress.

Trying to teach AD how to block and run screens is like trying to teach Patterson how to run the WR route tree.  Can't fix stupid.  

I still don't understand how all these coaches get let off the hook for not holding him accountable or insisting that he learn how to block properly. 

At some point the coaches need to do their jobs and the GM's need to suck it up and let them despite where a guy was drafted or how much money the team is paying the player. 
As Jimmy referenced, it is about want to.  If he didn't want to learn, what are you going to do?  Well, with a lesser player you let that player go or cut playing time.  In the case of a talented RB, you have to use what you got.  You can't make a player study the playbook.  You can't make a player think. 

@"prairieghost" said:
Oh, I know it's not involuntary. I realize there's study involved. I don't think it takes a boy genius to learn though. My point simply is that we had a young man join our team this spring who was eager and willing to do whatever the team asked and became quite brilliant at it from the get-go. And, BTW, he's a hell of a runner in his own right, too.
It's not so much that Adrian would have been a better player. He was a great player. I definitely appreciate his years with the team and the offensive weapon he was. The problem was that he wasn't an all-around kind of back, which in the current NFL mold is a more complete player who can block, catch and run. For our team these past few years we needed a guy like that because we needed someone who could help in pass pro and also have the ability to catch a pass so that we weren't having to send Adrian straight into the teeth of the defense on every down.
Well I think he did more of it in college than Adrian did in college though as well. 
Very true, but I don't think that would necessarily preclude a guy from learning if he's willing.

As to the video and hit on Palmer, I wouldn't be overly critical of Peterson on that one.  He stepped up, but the guard was getting beat bad and he tried to help.  As soon as he tried to help, the delayed blitz came through.  So he was willing and recognized the immediate threat.  The delayed blitz was also blocked from his vantage point as he helped the guard.

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"Max" said:
Yikes... I don't want to say it was Peterson's fault, but he did look pretty foolish in pass pro. I always overlooked that aspect of his gane when he was a Vike.
Quote: @"Max" said:
Yikes... I don't want to say it was Peterson's fault, but he did look pretty foolish in pass pro. I always overlooked that aspect of his gane when he was a Vike.
You can say "it was Peterson's fault" because it was Peterson's fault.  Not that hard to clearly see that he didn't block who he was supposed too, ya know the blitzer coming into the hole which every RB is supposed to block.  
Agreed. I believe it, I just didn't want to SAY it. :-)

Quote: @"Max" said:
Pretty easy to overlook when you're watching the NFL's best back.