Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Vikings @ Giants
Very happy with this start, on both sides of the ball!

49'ers will obviously be a much tougher test.  I hope we can get Addison back in time, especially with TJH still out.

Darnold, Jones, Van Ginkel all came up big and brand new to the team.

Hats off to the coaching staff too.

[-] The following 2 users Like FLVike's post:

(09-08-2024, 02:15 PM)Mike Olson Wrote: Are we a good team today or is NYG just a dogshit team today?

A little of both. I said earlier in this thread that Daniel Jones is our secret weapon and he did not disappoint. Darnold was better than expected. Aaron Jones running like a bull is quite refreshing after a year of suffering through Alex Mattison. The defense looks better but again, they were up against a complete joke at qb.

Next week versus San Fran will give us a lot more meaningful gauge of who/what/where the team is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes comet52's post:

How about the kid from Rock Valley Iowa? Nice debut for Van Ginkel!!!
[-] The following 5 users Like Kentis's post:

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/18328...n%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.startribune.com%2Fminnesota-vikings-new-york-giants-28-6-three-keys-andrew-van-ginkel-justin-jefferson-aaron-jones%2F601140860

(09-08-2024, 04:51 PM)Kentis Wrote: How about the kid from Rock Valley Iowa? Nice debut for Van Ginkel!!!

Key player

Outside linebacker Andrew Van Ginkel
Vikings defensive coordinator Brian Flores put on a master class in flustering Giants quarterback Daniel Jones, and there were plenty of highlights to go around for the team’s defenders, including rookie Dallas Turner's first NFL sack and an active day for defensive tackle Harrison Phillips.

But no defensive player jumped off the screen like Andrew Van Ginkel, signed as a free agent from Miami, where he used to play for Flores. Van Ginkel, who is coming off a foot injury, had a sack, two QB hits and a lightning-quick interception return for a touchdown to give the Vikings their final 28-6 lead and send Giants fans to the exits. Overall, Jones was sacked five times and intercepted twice.

Source: Startribune
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

If Darnold can push the ball downfield without a bunch of turnovers, there’s no reason we can’t be a playoff caliber team. Of course we have to get our receiving corps healthy sooner than later. Hopefully Addison isn’t a big deal and Hock is back week 5.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waterboy's post:

Great win to start year. We knew with the upcoming schedule that this was one we had to have. Couple thoughts;

- Darnold with a very efficient, Cousin-esque performance except 170 million dollars cheaper. Was happy to see it for Sam and gives me a little more confidence in his ability as long as we can protect him. Accuracy, arm strength, it was all there.

- Our defense dominated. The Giants don't have a lot to scare you defensively, but we made it tough on them. I think the Gilmore signing is really going to help solidify the back end. Our rotation along the defensive line and ability to bring in pass rushers in waves is going to give opposing offenses trouble. Greenard, Van Ginkel, Dallas Turner, Pat Jones, Jihad Ward, and the list goes on. Gives us a lot of ability to bring different looks and get after the quarterback

- Aaron Jones! Love having that guy on my team instead of the Pukers. Huge difference in burst, vision and slashing ability compared to Mattison last year.
[-] The following 5 users Like supafreak84's post:

(09-08-2024, 07:19 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: Great win to start year. We knew with the upcoming schedule that this was one we had to have. Couple thoughts;

- Darnold with a very efficient, Cousin-esque performance except 170 million dollars cheaper. Was happy to see it for Sam and gives me a little more confidence in his ability as long as we can protect him. Accuracy, arm strength, it was all there.

- Our defense dominated. The Giants don't have a lot to scare you defensively, but we made it tough on them. I think the Gilmore signing is really going to help solidify the back end. Our rotation along the defensive line and ability to bring in pass rushers in waves is going to give opposing offenses trouble. Greenard, Van Ginkel, Dallas Turner, Pat Jones, Jihad Ward, and the list goes on. Gives us a lot of ability to bring different looks and get after the quarterback

- Aaron Jones! Love having that guy on my team instead of the Pukers. Huge difference in burst, vision and slashing ability compared to Mattison last year.

12 hits and 5 sacks today on Jones...Nice 1st game!

Addison did not answer questions about how he was feeling while walking out of the locker room. Head coach Kevin O’Connell said Addison injured his other ankle — but not the one in which he suffered a high ankle sprain on Aug. 14 and missed a few weeks of practice.

Meaning Addison, who had three catches for 35 yards, has suffered two ankle injuries in the past month.

“We’re going to have him fully evaluated,” O’Connell said. “Don’t know the severity of it yet, but Jordan made some big plays for us early on there, and to lose him kind of affected a little bit of the flow there in the second half. But hopefully, it will be a shorter-term thing.”

Center Garrett Bradbury also played through a knee injury, O’Connell added.
====================================================================
Pass rushing: a team effort

The Vikings defense harassed Giants quarterback Daniel Jones to the tune of 12 hits, including five sacks, in a game where New York consistently trailed and attempted 42 passes. Nine Vikings defenders tagged off on Jones, who saw a flurry of real blitzes and fake pressures designed to scheme up one-on-one pass rushing opportunities for others.

Four defensive linemen — Andrew Van Ginkel, Dallas Turner, Harrison Phillips and Patrick Jones II — combined for five sacks.

“Our room is crazy,” edge rusher Jonathan Greenard said. “Pick your poison when it comes to our room. Nobody’s trying to do too much, nobody is thinking they’re better than anybody else. If you have an opportunity, go make it.”

Greenard, the Vikings’ top free-agent signing in March, didn’t land a hit or sack. But he said he’s focused a different stat after failing to win the previous two Week 1 games for the Houston Texans. Greenard was inactive for season openers in 2020 and 2021.

“First time starting 1-0,” Greenard said, “so I’m good.”

Source: Startribune

Is this thing on?
[-] The following 2 users Like Mike Olson's post:

Is this thing on?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mike Olson's post: