Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kipers new Mock
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
From GBN

Rumor du jour: Vikes, Pats close to swapping picks …
 Just a quick follow-up to yesterday’s story on the growing buzz surrounding Minnesota’s attempt to move up in the draft from the 11th pick overall to a position where they could get one of this year’s top QBs after acquiring an extra 1st from Houston, but there was a palpable buzz earlier today that the Vikings are ‘close’ to a deal with New England in which Minnesota would get the 3rd pick overall, presumably where they would select North Carolina QB Drake Maye, in exchange for a monster package of picks that could include the Vikings two first rounders this year and their #1 in

So this is what I was referencing. Everybody good giving up this kind of picks package to move up? Also considering that the 2025 pick may very well be a top 5 or top 10 pick
Yep. It beats the shit out of giving up JJ in a trade. These are unknown quantities.....draft picks that get squandered every single year by most teams. You trade JJ and then you'll need to draft a WRer because it'll be a need pick, how dumb is that? Minnesota won't be drafting top 5 next year, lets not get dramatic. 

You said you need to swing for the fences to get a 'franchise QB'....this is how you do it. Its not about being ok with it as a fan, its just what has to happen if you want a top tier potential rookie QB. Its a big risk. Nobody's going to deny that. I'm still not convinced however that Minnesota is looking to move up that far.
I just think you have to be careful how you allocate that draft haul in a trade. Ask the Panthers, who also thought it was dramatic to think they'd be drafting in the top 5 again in 2024.  It happens, especially with a rookie QB. You give up that haul, you essentially are going to have a one player draft the next two seasons. If that player turns out to be Andrew Luck, great, if not....you are in deep deep doodoo. 
Panther's and Viking's rosters are two very different things. And we aren't starting a rookie QB....guaranteed that isn't KOC's plan. Would a highly drafted rookie start a few games at the end of the year if Minnesota isn't in sniffing range of the playoffs? Sure. Just wondering how you'd feel to watch JJ light it up for another team and do what he does and then see the rookie QB tank? Its just not going to happen, trading JJ. And it shouldn't. Its much better to trade up using draft picks. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
From GBN

Just a quick follow-up to yesterday’s story on the growing buzz surrounding Minnesota’s attempt to move up in the draft from the 11th pick overall to a position where they could get one of this year’s top QBs after acquiring an extra 1st from Houston, but there was a palpable buzz earlier today that the Vikings are ‘close’ to a deal with New England in which Minnesota would get the 3rd pick overall, presumably where they would select North Carolina QB Drake Maye, in exchange for a monster package of picks that could include the Vikings two first rounders this year and their #1 in

So this is what I was referencing. Everybody good giving up this kind of picks package to move up? Also considering that the 2025 pick may very well be a top 5 or top 10 pick
Absolutely. I'd even throw in a 3rd rounder if that's what it took. If you hit on a franchise QB and put him into one of the best surrounds in the NFL, and get to pay him peanuts for 4 years, nobody's going to give a damn about what it took to get him. 
It may very well take some additional garnishment (as to how the media draftniks refer to it)...

Am I comfortable giving up this much capital? NO

More importantly, do I trust the org to pick the right guy? Sometimes

I dont believe the system is flawed in choosing QB's from the college ranks. Rather I believe a very high % of these kids are ruined coming into bad situations. 

Do I think the Vikings offer more positives (vs the avg team) in terms of surround to curate a QB?  YES 

Do I think the Vikings will eventually move up that high in the draft? No, but it may not be for lack of trying

I worry about striking out. Worst case, the Viking try to trade up and are turned down. Raiders jump to 10 for Nix, we take defense at 11, then get jumped for Penix at 23. 

Vikings go into the season with Darnold and no one else. JJ is concerned. Fans and media question the wisdom of not paying Kirk what it took to keep him, question the wisdom of not paying what it took to move up for their guy...two years in a row. 

No, I say identify your guy, go get your guy. Cost be damned. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
From GBN

Yep. It beats the shit out of giving up JJ in a trade. These are unknown quantities.....draft picks that get squandered every single year by most teams. You trade JJ and then you'll need to draft a WRer because it'll be a need pick, how dumb is that? Minnesota won't be drafting top 5 next year, lets not get dramatic. 

You said you need to swing for the fences to get a 'franchise QB'....this is how you do it. Its not about being ok with it as a fan, its just what has to happen if you want a top tier potential rookie QB. Its a big risk. Nobody's going to deny that. I'm still not convinced however that Minnesota is looking to move up that far.
I just think you have to be careful how you allocate that draft haul in a trade. Ask the Panthers, who also thought it was dramatic to think they'd be drafting in the top 5 again in 2024.  It happens, especially with a rookie QB. You give up that haul, you essentially are going to have a one player draft the next two seasons. If that player turns out to be Andrew Luck, great, if not....you are in deep deep doodoo. 
Panther's and Viking's rosters are two very different things. And we aren't starting a rookie QB....guaranteed that isn't KOC's plan. Would a highly drafted rookie start a few games at the end of the year if Minnesota isn't in sniffing range of the playoffs? Sure. Just wondering how you'd feel to watch JJ light it up for another team and do what he does and then see the rookie QB tank? Its just not going to happen, trading JJ. And it shouldn't. Its much better to trade up using draft picks. 
So you think starting Darnold all year would save us from a top 5 pick? Riiiight. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. 

I love Jefferson, but again, the whole contract thing is strange and if moving him (Cardinals) guarantees us one of the top 4 QB's in this draft PLUS additional draft capital to fill roster holes AND allows us to keep our first round pick next year...I think it has to be considered as an option..

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
From GBN

Absolutely. I'd even throw in a 3rd rounder if that's what it took. If you hit on a franchise QB and put him into one of the best surrounds in the NFL, and get to pay him peanuts for 4 years, nobody's going to give a damn about what it took to get him. 
It may very well take some additional garnishment (as to how the media draftniks refer to it)...

Am I comfortable giving up this much capital? NO

More importantly, do I trust the org to pick the right guy? Sometimes

I dont believe the system is flawed in choosing QB's from the college ranks. Rather I believe a very high % of these kids are ruined coming into bad situations. 

Do I think the Vikings offer more positives (vs the avg team) in terms of surround to curate a QB?  YES 

Do I think the Vikings will eventually move up that high in the draft? No, but it may not be for lack of trying

I worry about striking out. Worst case, the Viking try to trade up and are turned down. Raiders jump to 10 for Nix, we take defense at 11, then get jumped for Penix at 23. 

Vikings go into the season with Darnold and no one else. JJ is concerned. Fans and media question the wisdom of not paying Kirk what it took to keep him, question the wisdom of not paying what it took to move up for their guy...two years in a row. 

No, I say identify your guy, go get your guy. Cost be damned. 

My gut feel is that the odds of this very scenario are higher than many think...It happened just last year. 

That trade with Houston didnt guarantee shit. Too many qb needy teams

Hell, they may have to go Penix or Nix at 11 if they think the ceiling is remotely there. 

Typing this brings back a whiff of 2011 - scary. 

@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
From GBN

Yes, using draft picks to move up is one thing. You're trading rolls of the dice for another roll of the dice. Trading a 24 year old, proven superstar is another thing entirely. 

@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
From GBN

So you think starting Darnold all year would save us from a top 5 pick? Riiiight. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. 

The Vikings have spent a bunch of money on defensive free agents, they have Jones, JJ, Addison, Hock, 2 excellent OTs and Darnold won 7 games starting 13 games in 2019 with a garbage NY Jets team. He can't win 6 games this year in Minnesota? Please.

Who knows what will happen, of course. What I DO know isn't going to happen is trade the 24 year old best WRer in the NFL to move up for an unknown rookie QB. 

@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
From GBN

The Vikings have spent a bunch of money on defensive free agents, they have Jones, JJ, Addison, Hock, 2 excellent OTs and Darnold won 7 games starting 13 games in 2019 with a garbage NY Jets team. He can't win 6 games this year in Minnesota? Please.

Who knows what will happen, of course. What I DO know isn't going to happen is trade the 24 year old best WRer in the NFL to move up for an unknown rookie QB. 
Annnnnd you consider the defense to be upgraded from the personnel we lost? Where specifically have we upgraded? To me you have a bunch of lateral type moves, that while it makes us younger, we aren't necessarily better. 

Who knows when Hockenson is coming back. Might be mid-season or later. 

Right now we are squarely team 4 in the division. If you can't see that and think Darnold, who has proven only one thing and that's that he throws a shit ton of INT's, is going to lead us to wins...than I couldn't disagree more. That pick in 2025 could easily be a top 5 to 10 pick. We miss on QB and strip us of our next two drafts compounded with the disaster that was the 2022 draft, this team is going to be hurting and it really won't matter if we have the best receiver in the NFL. 

@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
From GBN

Annnnnd you consider the defense to be upgraded from the personnel we lost? Where specifically have we upgraded? To me you have a bunch of lateral type moves, that while it makes us younger, we aren't necessarily better. 

Right now we are squarely team 4 in the division. If you can't see that and think Darnold, who has proven only one thing and that's that he throws a shit ton of INT's, is going to lead us to wins...than I couldn't disagree more. That pick in 2025 could easily be a top 5 to 10 pick. We miss on QB and strip us of our next two drafts compounded with the disaster that was the 2022 draft, this team is going to be hurting and it really won't matter if we have the best receiver in the NFL. 
Dude, you've been complaining about this team non-stop. You and CFIA must be overeaters.....because you guys endlessly shit on everything. 

You said a Top 5 pick....now you are backtracking and saying Top 10. I just started a thread yesterday saying we need to hit on a rookie QB to keep up with the NFCN, so don't paint me pollyanna. If you can't see that trading JJ to get up to the #2 or #3 rated QB is foolish, not sure what to tell you. 

Well, I have been preaching on here for years to carpe diem and go get your guy.  Do your due diligence and then your job (GM - big boy pants) and get your guy.  

We currently have enough ammo to get to 4 assuming Cards are willing.  We are supposedly playing footsie with the Pats at 3.  Under zero/0/zero circumstances is JJ part of the conversation.  Mentioning Addison as a replacement for JJ is just ridiculous.  Addison is a potential nice 2 while JJ is the best #1 WR in the NFL.  Addison needs to stay healthy with his slight frame and got dinged mid-season and his stats did drop other than the 1 Cincy game which was awesome.  Anyway, here's to hoping Addison can continue to excel at 2.  

Back to QB draft, it makes sense to talk to every team about possible trade ups.  I do believe in where there is smoke there is fire, so I do think we are talking with Pats at 3.  Value charts indicate we would give them our 11, 23 and next year's 3rd.  I would not have a problem with that IF we have our guy sitting there.  If the Pats want more then next year's 3rd, then we have sweetened up we don't have a 2nd rounder.  So maybe we can go 3rd and 4th in 2025.  Sucks but again we are getting our guy and not giving up JJ or next year's first rounder.  

Now if it comes down to having to give up next year's first rounder or JJ, I give up next year's unknown first round player vs the proven best WR in football.  

@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
From GBN

Once we moved on from Kirk the odds we're going to stink in 2024 rose dramatically. I think all of us know that. No one thinks Darnold is leading this team to the Super Bowl.
The Vikings need to hit on a QB, that's the bed they've made. Counting on the defense, counting on player development, counting on the new dumbell rack the Wilfs paid for... it's all pointless unless we find the quarterback. That's why 80% of the threads on this board are about that topic and why everyone is on pins and needles.
If we stink in 2024 I could give a hoot... so long as we stink with a QB who has big upside and gives us all hope for the future. If we stink with Darnold... that's when you lose fans, sponsors, and primetime games.