Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your ideal scenario over the next 3 months?
Quote: @VikeMike52 said:
@Bullazin said:
Broncos at 12 and Raiders at 13 will most likely take QB4 and 5.  After that the pickings get slim at QB
Quote: @Bullazin said:
Broncos at 12 and Raiders at 13 will most likely take QB4 and 5.  After that the pickings get slim at QB
I’ve seen a few mocks with both of those taking either McCarthy or Nix. If McCarthy is the Vikings preferred QB they may have to take him at 11, that is if he makes it out of the top 10.
Matt Miller of ESPN just released a new mock with the Vikings taking Dallas Turner at 11, followed by the Broncos taking Nix at 12, and the Raiders taking McCarthy at 13 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@VikeMike52 said:
@Bullazin said:
I’ve seen a few mocks with both of those taking either McCarthy or Nix. If McCarthy is the Vikings preferred QB they may have to take him at 11, that is if he makes it out of the top 10.
Matt Miller of ESPN just released a new mock with the Vikings taking Dallas Turner at 11, followed by the Broncos taking Nix at 12, and the Raiders taking McCarthy at 13 
lol, this would explode people's heads. The pitchforks would be marching to Eagan. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:
I think the ideal off season involves having a good QB and getting
like 4 starters out of the draft, meaning guys are dropping and us getting
lucky because teams missed them.

That’s not hardly a plan though, but something more
tangible:

1. Resign
    Cousins to a 2 year deal that’s probably something like $60M guaranteed
    with $20M more in incentives and an out after 1 year if he’s unable to
    really perform due to the injury, but gives him security if he’s healthy.
  2. Resign
    Hunter to a good contract that you can get out of in like 3 years max.
  3. Resign
    JJ to a contract that doesn’t make me cringe a lot.
  4. Resign
    Davenport to be our 3rd OLB for like $6M prove it deal.
  5. Draft
    a QB with our first or second pick without giving up the farm to get them.
     I’m skeptical that we’re going to
    get one of the top 3 guys, so I just don’t see how it makes sense to
    invest multiple high picks in getting the 5th best prospect.  I’d rather draft the 5th best
    prospect 2 years in a row, than invest 3+ picks into the 4th
    best guy.  If there’s a guy you feel
    really confident in that fits your system and you’re sure that everyone
    else is misreading, sure go after that guy, but I think the list of guys
    that fail after teams traded up for them is probably just as long as guys
    that succeeded.  This guys probably
    going to have some flaws and need to sit for a year.  End of the first makes sense to me.
  6. Have to get a second impact edge or DL.
  7. Have to get a quality RB that can both run and block at a low cost.
  8. Have to bring in another competent starting caliber CB.

6-8, Here you are really dependent on
how you get that QB, ie. Did you blow all your draft picks?  You’re probably going to have to pick up a CB
or an Edge in free agency if you draft a QB, unless you get really lucky.  I think if you blow a ton of picks on a QB you're probably building for 2025 rather than 2024, so you're more going for overall roster quality than win now as you'll have to be more frugal in FA to make up for the missing draft picks.
It would cost us half as much to move from 42 to 16 as it would to move from 11 to 3. Draft your edge at 11 (there are three with strong value in the 8-15 range--Verse, Turner and Latu). Draft QB4 at 16. Sign Cousins, Hunter and a pass rushing DT in free agency. Use a 4th or FA for a RB.

That gives you Cousins, JJ, Addison, Hock, Darrisaw and O'Neill on offense. Your front seven now has Hunter, Wilkins (FA1), Phillips and Turner (D1). This is a team that would be serious contenders in '24 with a succession plan at QB in place—not to mention $130M in cap space in '25—to keep them there. 
Maybe tweak this a bit to be sure you get a QBOTF you want, and end up with the same result.  You could draft the QB at 11 then trade back up to the 16 range for the blue chipper DL player.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@VikeMike52 said:
@Bullazin said:
lol, this would explode people's heads. The pitchforks would be marching to Eagan. 
That might be enough for me to hang-up my fan card...

The names may change as it's only Feb, but I think if they want any of the QB's (outside of Penix) they better take him @ 11 or maybe 12. 

This pipe dream of the best D player @ 11 and then a QB in the 20's is just that. 

@supafreak84 said:
@VikeMike52 said:
@Bullazin said:
It would be terrifying. I try not to root against guys who aren't Packers but if we go defense and one or God forbid both Nix and Mccarthy turn out to be solid pros that would sting for a long time. It's been said by all of us but man, the Vikings have to have to have to nail this offseason.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@VikeMike52 said:
@Bullazin said:
Not going to complain about Dallas Turner. That kid can flat play. But unless the Vikings sign Cousins to three years, which is extremely unlikely, Vikings will take the QB. 

@supafreak84 said:
@VikeMike52 said:
@Bullazin said:
Rightfully so!

For me it would be as follows:
  • Edge/DT at the #11 spot
  • Move up for JJ McCarthy end of round 1
  • Sign Kirk Cousins to 2-year contract
I'd be extremely stoked about this possibility. What's your ideal scenario?
This is where my head is at.  No matter what the Vikes need to get a future QB they like for the l-t.   Sign Cousins for no more than 1-2 years.  Let Hunter go, sign JJ to an extension and cut costs wherever necessary including O'Neill at RT.  Sign Darrisaw, let Harry go/retire.   It's time to tighten the belt, but keep JJ happy, get your QB of the future and an All-Pro LT.  Those are building blocks along with Addison.

Quote: @Waterboy said:
@StickyBun said:
This is where my head is at.  No matter what the Vikes need to get a future QB they like for the l-t.   Sign Cousins for no more than 1-2 years.  Let Hunter go, sign JJ to an extension and cut costs wherever necessary including O'Neill at RT.  Sign Darrisaw, let Harry go/retire.   It's time to tighten the belt, but keep JJ happy, get your QB of the future and an All-Pro LT.  Those are building blocks along with Addison.
Why do you keep Cousins if you are going to get rid of 1 of our 2 decent OL?  As it is Cousins will be a question mark,  if you are gonna go flea market,  then don't waste a dime on Cousins. 

If anything you would be more inclined to spend more on better OL so as not to piss away the money you spend on Cousins. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@StickyBun said:
Why do you keep Cousins if you are going to get rid of 1 of our 2 decent OL?  As it is Cousins will be a question mark,  if you are gonna go flea market,  then don't waste a dime on Cousins. 

If anything you would be more inclined to spend more on better OL so as not to piss away the money you spend on Cousins. 
I don't hate your idea, but I'm kinda coddling JJ with this.  O'Neill was somewhat subpar this year and is paid a lot of money.  I think you can find a decent replacement for him in FA at a much better price.  No more than 1-2 years of Cousins, and I would be okay without for the time being.  Mullens can sling it enough to keep JJ happy, but he'll keep the DB's happy too.  lol