Josh Oliver
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"Kentis" said:
Right now, Oliver is the 1st overall tight end on PFF. A total of 71 TEs are considered, but Oliver’s 89.5 grade is claiming the gold medal.

Yeah, but Kwesi spent like $60 Billion on a back up TE.  Get the pitchforks and torches!!!
Don't give them any ideas. It’s a public safety issue. That crowd is so fucking stupid they'd be running around the exurbs with their heads on fire and pitchforks stuck in their asses. 

Because anybody that doesn't agree with the Homer's take has to be fucking stupid.
What's the Homer's take? 
read you past posts.  anybody you disagree with gets blasted,  apparently in this instance they are "fucking stupid"  simply because you disagree with their positions on something.  contrary to your belief,  you are not dead on in all things Vikings related,  you are have a pretty good football opinion on most things,  but you do get blinded by purple and just because some have a different view on something (KAM, his hiring, and his efforts to date ) doesnt make them "fucking stupid".
Is it that? Or is it more that we should maybe be patient with decisions made by the GM before reflexively kvetching about them like a teary teen whose TikTok goes unliked? 
Many were slagging the Davenport signing as a bust less than a week ago. My “homer” response wasn’t “no, he was a great signing!” It was “maybe, just maybe, we should wait to see what he does when he actually plays before calling him a bust...maybe?" 

See, by any standard, that’s a rational, reasonable take. It only SOUNDS like starry-eyed homerism when you compare it to the surplus of negativity directed at every decision the GM makes simply because some folks don’t like him….or wanted him to make a decision THEY supported. You have to admit it’s pretty ridiculous. Any reasonable evaluation of our GM would factor in his good decisions (TJH, KOC, Thielen, Cook) and bad (trade down comp, Donatell, Tomlinson) and those for which it's too early (drafts, Davenport, Oliver, Flores). But in context with other NFL GMs, that's probably par for the course.

Anyway, that’s all I’m doing. Aside from my work as a part-time Pagan god and saver of whales, I consider it my job as board homer to bring a little sliver of hope, a ray of sunshine if you will, to those who are convinced they can't have anything nice. And I enjoy my work. 

so if they arent being as patient as you want them to be they are "fucking stupid"?  I dont necessarily agree with everything written on this site, but I dont have to go right to offensive to try and belittle those I disagree with.  You dont have to shower them with kindness, but why be so damn rude about it?  It astonished me one time when Olson told me how many lurkers we have on this site vs active participants,  ever wonder why so many just lurk and never feel like sharing their own opinions?

edit:  for the record,  I know I am somewhat hypocritical in posting what I did,  and I expect to be called out on it when I do it as well,  we are all guilty of going right to richard mode at times,  but it doesnt make it good for the board.

when the team is struggling its hard to remain civil,  but we gain nothing from letting this place turn into a shit show like other sites have in the past.

Lots of stuff in this thread bordering on name calling and getting personal.

Time to cool it or will have to shut it down.

Quote: @"greediron" said:

[Image: R.3ee83fa63f5241c24c3b80e8033a3505?rik=z...ImgRaw&r=0]

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"greediron" said:

Do I really have to dig through it all to find everyone so people don't feel left out?  Can't we all just act like adults?

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"greediron" said:

Do I really have to dig through it all to find everyone so people don't feel left out?  Can't we all just act like adults?
[Image: raw]

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"Kentis" said:
Right now, Oliver is the 1st overall tight end on PFF. A total of 71 TEs are considered, but Oliver’s 89.5 grade is claiming the gold medal.

Yeah, but Kwesi spent like $60 Billion on a back up TE.  Get the pitchforks and torches!!!
Don't give them any ideas. It’s a public safety issue. That crowd is so fucking stupid they'd be running around the exurbs with their heads on fire and pitchforks stuck in their asses. 

Because anybody that doesn't agree with the Homer's take has to be fucking stupid.
What's the Homer's take? 
read you past posts.  anybody you disagree with gets blasted,  apparently in this instance they are "fucking stupid"  simply because you disagree with their positions on something.  contrary to your belief,  you are not dead on in all things Vikings related,  you are have a pretty good football opinion on most things,  but you do get blinded by purple and just because some have a different view on something (KAM, his hiring, and his efforts to date ) doesnt make them "fucking stupid".
Wait Jimmy, you must have missed that Asamoah was going to be a "superstar" this season, Lewis Cine was going to be an amazing piece in the Brian Flores system, continuity on the offensive line was all we needed for improvement, and we were winning 12 games and competing to go to the Super Bowl this season and anybody who thought otherwise had an agenda. But hey, everybody else is the fucking morons, right?
Yep, we have all been right sometimes and wrong more often.  We all have the same goal for our team.  We have a few who are Pollyanna and a few who are critical, and neither is stupid/right/wrong.  I put myself more in the critical category over the years and heading into this season.  I saw a 9-win team because IOL and front 7 remained a weakness that went unaddressed.  Others though continuity on OL and Flores on Defense were enough but I and the critical group did not buy it.  I would say we are on the "right" side of that, but it is all our loss because our team is struggling.  It is also still early in the season.  I still think we could squeeze out 9 wins but this is not a very good team overall.  I also think the competitive rebuild is a patchwork approach and I am not impressed by Kwesi at all.  Some will say you have to wait to judge some of these things and I say...no you don't...call it like you see it.  I really don't think this organization is heading in the right direction.  
OK I’ll be serious for a sec, but only for you Minny! I taught freshman comp for a semester after college. Because my pet peeve has always been the use of “certain” verbs in persuasive writing, especially when stating an opinion about something as uncertain as FOOTBALL, you’ll notice in all my posts—not just some, but dang near ALL, going back 20 years—is that I use “uncertain” modal auxiliaries like “could” or “should” or “might,” instead of “will.” 
For example, “if Cine ever figures out how to tackle, he could eventually replace Harry.” Because he could. Or “continuity should lead to incremental improvement from our OL.” Because it should. Some people read this as “Cine is going to be an amazing piece” and “all our line needs is continuity.” (Yeah, you did too there, buddy. LOL). But that’s on them, not me. You might consider this a soft stance, avoiding a bold or “hot” take, and you’d be exactly right. I always want to avoid that, because I find hot takes naive and unpersuasive. Eye rolling, if I’m honest. Because above all, I want to be reasonable in my positions whether I’m debating the Vikings, Wall Street or whose turn it is to make dinner. 

It’s also why I’ve stopped talking politics on this board. There is no more reasonableness. People willfully mischaracterize your opinion, craft an enormous straw man and then proceed to set fire to it. Hey congratulations! You destroyed my argument. If only it were my argument. No thanks. I’d rather take a chainsaw to my thigh.

Quote: @"JR44" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
See, by any standard, that’s a rational, reasonable take. It only SOUNDS like starry-eyed homerism when you compare it to the surplus of negativity directed at every decision the GM makes simply because some folks don’t like him….or wanted him to make a decision THEY supported. You have to admit it’s pretty ridiculous. Any reasonable evaluation of our GM would factor in his good decisions (TJH, KOC, Thielen, Cook) and bad (trade down comp, Donatell, Tomlinson) and those for which it's too early (drafts, Davenport, Oliver, Flores). But in context with other NFL GMs, that's probably par for the course.
After watching Thielen tear us up last week and also seeing his leadership on the field which we sorely miss, how was letting him go a good move?  Also, after the move to go out and get Akers we can't say not keeping Cook was a good thing and when you consider what we are paying TJH and what we gave up for him, I am not sold on that being a good move as he has looked very average, not very physical and apathetic on the field this year.  His draft issues have been much more than just the trade down comp, but what he has done with the picks he did have.  I don't think it is fair to say anyone who criticizes Kwesi doesn't like him, maybe we do not like what he has done, guarantee if he had hit on a good number of these moves most would love him.  
You seriously think giving a 3-year, $25M contract to a 33-year-old receiver was the right move for the Vikings? I think it was the right move for Carolina, considering their rookie QB, and how much a veteran WR could help him. But it sure as hell wasn't for us, considering the realities of our cap, Cousins, Jefferson, etc.

@"JR44" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
After watching Thielen tear us up last week and also seeing his leadership on the field which we sorely miss, how was letting him go a good move?  Also, after the move to go out and get Akers we can't say not keeping Cook was a good thing and when you consider what we are paying TJH and what we gave up for him, I am not sold on that being a good move as he has looked very average, not very physical and apathetic on the field this year.  His draft issues have been much more than just the trade down comp, but what he has done with the picks he did have.  I don't think it is fair to say anyone who criticizes Kwesi doesn't like him, maybe we do not like what he has done, guarantee if he had hit on a good number of these moves most would love him.  
You seriously think giving a 3-year, $25M contract to a 33-year-old receiver was the right move for the Vikings? I think it was the right move for Carolina, considering their rookie QB, and how much a veteran WR could help him. But it sure as hell wasn't for us, considering the realities of our cap, Cousins, Jefferson, etc.
Yeah, Minnesota would have been idiots for resigning Thielen. They've got a better WR2 in Addison. He's a safety net for Young, good signing for Carolina. 'Leadership on the field', lol. 

@"minny65" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"Kentis" said:

What's the Homer's take? 
Wait Jimmy, you must have missed that Asamoah was going to be a "superstar" this season, Lewis Cine was going to be an amazing piece in the Brian Flores system, continuity on the offensive line was all we needed for improvement, and we were winning 12 games and competing to go to the Super Bowl this season and anybody who thought otherwise had an agenda. But hey, everybody else is the fucking morons, right?
Yep, we have all been right sometimes and wrong more often.  We all have the same goal for our team.  We have a few who are Pollyanna and a few who are critical, and neither is stupid/right/wrong.  I put myself more in the critical category over the years and heading into this season.  I saw a 9-win team because IOL and front 7 remained a weakness that went unaddressed.  Others though continuity on OL and Flores on Defense were enough but I and the critical group did not buy it.  I would say we are on the "right" side of that, but it is all our loss because our team is struggling.  It is also still early in the season.  I still think we could squeeze out 9 wins but this is not a very good team overall.  I also think the competitive rebuild is a patchwork approach and I am not impressed by Kwesi at all.  Some will say you have to wait to judge some of these things and I say...no you don't...call it like you see it.  I really don't think this organization is heading in the right direction.  
For example, “if Cine ever figures out how to tackle, he could eventually replace Harry.” Because he could. Or “continuity should lead to incremental improvement from our OL.” Because it should. Some people read this as “Cine is going to be an amazing piece” and “all our line needs is continuity.” (Yeah, you did too there, buddy. LOL). But that’s on them, not me. You might consider this a soft stance, avoiding a bold or “hot” take, and you’d be exactly right. I always want to avoid that, because I find hot takes naive and unpersuasive. Eye rolling, if I’m honest. Because above all, I want to be reasonable in my positions whether I’m debating the Vikings, Wall Street or whose turn it is to make dinner. 
Well Bruvva, it's a long season, but thusfar you've been wrong more about this team then you've been right, so to go out of your way to call anybody "fucking stupid" is laughable after hearing you yap all offseason. Even your buddy Sticky knows it. Coach Prime ain't the only one keeping receipts. 

@"JR44" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
So you are against giving one of the leaders of the team and a guy who was one of the top W2s in the league 3 years 25 million, but you are okay with 3 years 21 million for a TE who only blocks and outside of the selected clips you have put here, has not that done that particularly well.  For the record last week Thielen 7 receptions for 76 yards, Oliver 0 receptions and one costly hold that was a 14 point swing (which didn't seem to show up all your "highlight" reels!)