• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Risner to Minnesota
Quote: @"FLVike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:
I think it’s just a no brainer.  Udoh is out for the season leaving us a hole
on the OLine and an open roster spot.

Risner gives us some position flexibility at backup for all
the positions if we need it and can compete with Ingram for the starting spot.

That said, it’s a little bit of a mixed message, where it
kind of signals that we’re “competing” in 2023, but the rest of the roster has
a bunch of compromises that kind of limit how competitive we can be.

For 2024 and beyond, if I were Cousins, I’d take a $10M
paycut and demand that the team add the best FA interior veteran lineman to the
group.
I agree with your last sentence. I hope he does that.

But I don't agree that it sends a mixed message to a non-competitive team. It's far too early to suggest this team will not be competing for the playoffs. Hell, if you take the 7 turnovers away, which I think is an NFL record, this team is very likely 2-0. Now I know you can say that about every game or group of games, but it also happens to be true. As I said a couple days ago, this may change after week 8, but for now anyway, we're buyers, not sellers. 

I think if we only take one turnover away from each game we are 2-0.
I agree with that last statement.  Particularly if JJettas had not fumbled at the goal line for the touchback.   

hope he plays center or right guard, help needed there the most.

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
@"FLVike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:

group.

But I don't agree that it sends a mixed message to a non-competitive team. It's far too early to suggest this team will not be competing for the playoffs. Hell, if you take the 7 turnovers away, which I think is an NFL record, this team is very likely 2-0. Now I know you can say that about every game or group of games, but it also happens to be true. As I said a couple days ago, this may change after week 8, but for now anyway, we're buyers, not sellers. 

I agree with that last statement.  Particularly if JJettas had not fumbled at the goal line for the touchback.   
So frustrating. An almost certain TD to take the lead before the half turns into Eagles ball. Vikings stop them out of field goal range. But wait! Elliott comes on and kicks a career long 61-yard FG before the half, because of course he does. Powell returns a punt to the Eagles 30, fumbles...Vikings pick off Hurts, Mattison fumbles. Opening drive of the 2nd half, a sack and a Cousins fumble gives the ball to the Eagles at the 6 yard line, leading to another Eagles TD. And still...STILL...the Vikings lose by only one score. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
@"FLVike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:

group.

So frustrating. An almost certain TD to take the lead before the half turns into Eagles ball. Vikings stop them out of field goal range. But wait! Elliott comes on and kicks a career long 61-yard FG before the half, because of course he does. Powell returns a punt to the Eagles 30, fumbles...Vikings pick off Hurts, Mattison fumbles. Opening drive of the 2nd half, a sack and a Cousins fumble gives the ball to the Eagles at the 6 yard line, leading to another Eagles TD. And still...STILL...the Vikings lose by only one score. 
It is kinda like all the retribution for last years 1 score wins rolled into 1 game.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
@"FLVike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:

group.

I'm not frustrated. The Vikings traded health for rust by not playing starters in the pre-season. They have their weaknesses, but they also have a lot of strengths.
If they lose this weekend, I will begin to question them. But I still pick them to win the division. I see potential and unlike others, I think they have good coaching. It's a long season and they are going to improve as it progresses.

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
@"FLVike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:

group.

I'm not frustrated. The Vikings traded health for rust by not playing starters in the pre-season. 
And so did every other team in the NFL. Its the standard. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"jargomcfargo" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
@"FLVike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:

group.

I'm not frustrated. The Vikings traded health for rust by not playing starters in the pre-season. 
And so did every other team in the NFL. Its the standard. 
Not every team,  the lions for example didn't and it showed week one against the Chiefs who did skip preseason.   I say we are 1-1 if the starters played preseason.  I think that would have made the difference against the bucs.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
@"FLVike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:

group.

It is kinda like all the retribution for last years 1 score wins rolled into 1 game.
Thats sooooo Catholic Greed lol!! 

Nice highlight video of Risner that I don't think you would be able to put together for Ingram and even Cleveland.  Like the energy Risner seems to bring and is usually the first one to run up to a tackled RB to help pick up.  His weakness is run blocking but see some real good second level.  The key is going to be to cut down on all those hits coming from Ingrams Guard position which were over 70 last year.  Kirk is one of the most hit QB's in the NFL and hopefully Risner can cut that back a decent amount and Kirk can stay healthy.  

Quote: @"minny65" said:
Nice highlight video of Risner that I don't think you would be able to put together for Ingram and even Cleveland.  Like the energy Risner seems to bring and is usually the first one to run up to a tackled RB to help pick up.  His weakness is run blocking but see some real good second level.  The key is going to be to cut down on all those hits coming from Ingrams Guard position which were over 70 last year.  Kirk is one of the most hit QB's in the NFL and hopefully Risner can cut that back a decent amount and Kirk can stay healthy.  
he can only play 1 position at a time,  I dont suspect Kirk will see any significant reduction in hits since 2 or 3 are likely equally responsible for the beatings,  and the OL cant do anything for those hits that Kirk brings on himself for not moving in the pocket,  or just flat out holding the ball to long.  honestly if we see 5-7 better plays a game as a result of him taking a starting spot,  that will be what I would expect.