Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think this is a 9-win football team for 2023
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
You make it sound like improving from 31st to 20th is some unprecedented landmark achievement. That kind of improvement (and decline) is pretty standard in the NFL. 

Bengals improved from 26th to 18th and went to the Super Bowl. Chiefs improved from 27th to 11th and went to the Super Bowl by increasing their pressure rate and becoming one of the most blitz happy teams in the NFL. Last year the Ravens improved from 25th to 9th. Sauce was a big factor, but the Jets improved their defense mostly by changing their defensive philosophy and went from 32nd to 4th. Point is, it happens quite a bit. 
Those teams you mentioned invested in free agency and drafted to fix the problems on that side of the ball, so of course there are significant jumps in their defensive rankings. We didn't do any of that. We didn't sign a Trey Hendrickson in free agency, draft a Sauce Gardner or Geore Karlaftis. We went Dean Lowry. So while you paint a pretty picture, I don't see us improving significantly on defense. 
That's nonsense. So you just conveniently leave out Marcus Davenport, PFF's #1 ranked free agent edge rusher, and Byron Murphy, a top 5 free agent corner, who was the only corner to shut down both Cooper Kupp and Davante Adams. Is it impossible for them to turn in good years and improve our defense a few slots? Or is that just impossible because for Team Woe Is Us the grass will always be greener in the other guy's yard? Will Brian Flores have no impact at all? The dark rain cloud you carry around every day because we hired Kwesi instead of the guy you wanted has got to get tiresome at some point. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
You make it sound like improving from 31st to 20th is some unprecedented landmark achievement. That kind of improvement (and decline) is pretty standard in the NFL. 

Bengals improved from 26th to 18th and went to the Super Bowl. Chiefs improved from 27th to 11th and went to the Super Bowl by increasing their pressure rate and becoming one of the most blitz happy teams in the NFL. Last year the Ravens improved from 25th to 9th. Sauce was a big factor, but the Jets improved their defense mostly by changing their defensive philosophy and went from 32nd to 4th. Point is, it happens quite a bit. 
Those teams you mentioned invested in free agency and drafted to fix the problems on that side of the ball, so of course there are significant jumps in their defensive rankings. We didn't do any of that. We didn't sign a Trey Hendrickson in free agency, draft a Sauce Gardner or Geore Karlaftis. We went Dean Lowry. So while you paint a pretty picture, I don't see us improving significantly on defense. 
That's nonsense. So you just conveniently leave out Marcus Davenport, PFF's #1 ranked free agent edge rusher, and Byron Murphy, a top 5 free agent corner, who was the only corner to shut down both Cooper Kupp and Davante Adams. Is it impossible for them to turn in good years and improve our defense a few slots? Or is that just impossible because for Team Woe Is Us the grass will always be greener in the other guy's yard? Will Brian Flores have no impact at all? The dark rain cloud you carry around every day because we hired Kwesi instead of the guy you wanted has got to get tiresome at some point. 

I dont give a shit who the GM is... and I still dont see the rainbows and unicorns that you try and sell every offseason when TC rolls around.  Its ok,  people are allowed to see things differently.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@Kentis said:
The Lion’s defense was actually worse then ours last season, hype doesn’t win divisions…!
I think that was because they started off fairly crappy.  Lions went 8-2 in their last 10 games that included beating GB twice, Bears twice, and a convincing win over our Vikes in December.  They have an impressive OL and some really nice young players on D.  They've had so many years of top draft picks; I think it's going to really pay off this upcoming season.
[Image: sgiyljwbgwaq.jpeg]
Well they’re still the Lions, we’ll see how they’ll respond to the high expectations, they may just fold like an accordion…!  Wink :p  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

I dont give a shit who the GM is... and I still dont see the rainbows and unicorns that you try and sell every offseason when TC rolls around.  Its ok,  people are allowed to see things differently.
It's rainbows to think that it's possible for the defense to improve from 31st to 21st? And the idea that, while we may not win as many games as last year (conceding regression to the mean), it could very well turn us into a more stable, reliable team, is unicorns?

Jimmy, you may not have Supa's agenda, but I'd bet cash-American you think you're the one being objective. Am I right? Trust me, you're not. You're habitually, neurotically negative. About every damn thing. You're very close to becoming a drinking game. :-)

Quote: @Kentis said:
@HappyViking said:
@Kentis said:
The Lion’s defense was actually worse then ours last season, hype doesn’t win divisions…!
I think that was because they started off fairly crappy.  Lions went 8-2 in their last 10 games that included beating GB twice, Bears twice, and a convincing win over our Vikes in December.  They have an impressive OL and some really nice young players on D.  They've had so many years of top draft picks; I think it's going to really pay off this upcoming season.
[Image: sgiyljwbgwaq.jpeg]
Well they’re still the Lions, we’ll see how they’ll respond to the high expectations, they may just fold like an accordion…!  Wink :p  
Very true, and I wouldn't mind it one bit if they just simply act like the Lions of old.  I just don't think they will.

@supafreak84 said:

Half a sack, he touched the QB once in 17 games....and he's learning a new position that will encompass less rush opportunities when he has to drop into coverage. You think he's an upgrade to Zadarius, who despite the injury was still a Pro Bowl player!? Lmao, good luck with that. I actually think Patrick Jones will be more productive..

You seem like a smart guy but your reading skills are lacking. I said I expect this defense to improve simply by virtue of better coaching, but unlike yourself I don't see an improvement in overall defense into the teens. We simply don't have the horses or the talent. So no need to get butthurt about it. It's just my assessment of things heading into the season. You act like I insulted your grandmother or something. Settle down Francis..

@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

It's rainbows to think that it's possible for the defense to improve from 31st to 21st? And the idea that, while we may not win as many games as last year (conceding regression to the mean), it could very well turn us into a more stable, reliable team, is unicorns?

Jimmy, you may not have Supa's agenda, but I'd bet cash-American you think you're the one being objective. Am I right? Trust me, you're not. You're habitually, neurotically negative. About every damn thing. You're very close to becoming a drinking game. :-)
lol, curmudgeon alert! I like to call Jimmy a red ass sometimes. Yes, he also thinks he's being objective in the political threads!  :p

@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

I defended your position of a 10 spot improvement,   but I dont think we are going to see that translated into more wins as I dont think the luck of last year is sustainable and on paper we have a tougher schedule this year.

Just beacuse I dont buy your annual rosy roster reviews doesn't make me negative,   I just see to many holes to think they will be more than a game over 500 without a lot of luck like last year,  with huge question marks on DL and the IOL, I'm just not seeing it with a weak LB group and an immobile QB.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

lol, curmudgeon alert! I like to call Jimmy a red ass sometimes. Yes, he also thinks he's being objective in the political threads!  :p

Lol,  have you read your own shit?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

Lol,  have you read your own shit?
lmao. Touche. But I'm downright Mr. Blue Sky compared to you about the Vikings....

[Image: pot-kettle.gif]