Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Draft ranked 31 out of 32 Teams by the Athletic's Dane Brugler
I think Blackmon is going to surprise the hell out of people in Flores' defense and will be a day 1 starter. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I think Blackmon is going to surprise the hell out of people in Flores' defense and will be a day 1 starter. 
I hope so. But that probably means that either Booth or Evans is hurt again, so maybe I hope not. 

Quote: @FLVike said:
I don't think it matters how many picks we have KAM is going to try and trade down regardless. But Rick has proven that trading down doesn't work for us and when it always ends up the wrong decision then opposite decision would be the correct one. So we should trade up one year and pick in rounds 1-3 only. So we can bundle picks 4-7 and move up and get 4 or 5 picks in rounds 1-3.

What to F are you talking about?  Rick was one of the best drafting GMs out there.  We fielded team with the most home grown talent often over his tenure.  Every GM misses on most of their picks.  If you can get 1-2 starters from a draft you'll maintain.  If you can get +3?  You're golden.

Speaking of head scratcher's, and I don't recall it being a topic here on the forum, but what the hell are we doing employing Ryan Grigson as VP of player personnel? That guy was absolutely awful as the GM in Indy, is infamously known for trading a 1st round pick for Trent Richardson, and we are employing him as one of our main talent evaluators in Kwesi's ear on personnel decisions. Lol. Its shit like this that furthers my belief that the Wilf's really don't know what they are doing 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
@supafreak84 said:
Ouch...

I think it was a pretty average draft. Hard to do much when you don't have a second round pick, which is a hugely key piece in maneuvering up or having an "on paper" nice looking draft. If you don't count Hockenson as part of the draft, then yeah, on the surface it pales in comparison to a lot of team's draft tally's. Even counting Hockenson, it's still fair to wonder if we would have been better off keeping our pick and taking advantage of maybe the deepest TE group ever and having say, Michael Mayer or Kincaid on a rookie contract. Now we are going to be breaking the bank on Hockenson, after inexplicably giving Oliver a 21-million dollar contract, and still having to manage the cap to fit in JJ's soon to be record breaking contract. Oh and there is still the contract issue of Kirko on top of everything else. I don't know man, it just seems like whenever this front office does anything, it's questionable on if it was the right decision to make at the time. I would just like for once to be able to stand up and applaud the front office and say "great fucking move!" Two years in and I'm still waiting for it to happen...
Remember the Hock trade was because ISJ was hurt... again (another "great" Spielman pick, btw), and the Vikes wanted a replacement TE for their playoff run.  Hock not only replaced ISJ, but he might end up being the best TE in Viking's history.  I'd much rather have that than unproven drafted rookies with the #2 pick.

Disagree about ISJ. If he stays healthy in Pittsburgh, he's going to be a real weapon for them.

But I totally agree on TJH. Proven, 25 year old, 2X Pro Bowl TE and there are some questioning giving up a 2nd round pick for that? Madness. 
stays healthy lololol 

I thought the writers guild was on strike and we weren’t going to have comedy shows for awhile. 
Kyle Rudolph and Robert Smith had sketchy, injury filled starts to their careers. We heard over and over and over that they were busts and they would never stay healthy...until they did. Same with Frank Gore, Antonio Gates. Injuries are so overrated. It's more bad luck than anything. 
sometimes we make our own luck,  some guys come into the league thinking they are invincible and dont prepare their bodies and only learn with time what it takes to be a top athlete in a physical sport,  some come in prepared but dont keep themselves in top shape once they get paid, and are always injured.  others are just not built for the game.  IMO injuries are much more than bad luck or wrong place wrong time.
For soft tissue injuries, sure. Not fingers, ankles and knees. 
sure can,  if you dont keep your joints loose and flexible, through regular stretching and working out,  you are much more likely to tear or sprain something.  somethings are flukey,  but not everything,  especially when it keeps happening to the same person.

since we can now bet on virtually anything,  what are the odds that ISjr makes it a full season?  how does that compare to other TEs in the league?  I dont really get into betting on sports,  but my money would be on the under for ISjr.
Not mine. In fact, I plan on betting on him this year. I may not be right, nobody's right 100% of the time. But I've won 4 big-money fantasy championships in 12 years because I specifically target players others avoid due to injury reputation. Honestly, it's like taking candy from babies. Everyone thinks a player who was hurt last year, and/or the year before, is more likely to get hurt this year, which is obviously nonsense. It's actually the opposite. But shhhh, don't tell anyone. 

And before you mock fantasy, keep in mind it's the exact same thing as free agency: betting money on a player's talent, potential, fit, injury history, etc. Except, y'know, with hundreds instead of millions.
the Twins GMs had been following that same approach to adding talent to their team.... especially pitching talent,  they havent sniffed a championship in over 30 years,  and its largely been due to their pitching.  this year may be different,  but who knows.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@FLVike said:
I don't think it matters how many picks we have KAM is going to try and trade down regardless. But Rick has proven that trading down doesn't work for us and when it always ends up the wrong decision then opposite decision would be the correct one. So we should trade up one year and pick in rounds 1-3 only. So we can bundle picks 4-7 and move up and get 4 or 5 picks in rounds 1-3.

What to F are you talking about?  Rick was one of the best drafting GMs out there.  We fielded team with the most home grown talent often over his tenure.  Every GM misses on most of their picks.  If you can get 1-2 starters from a draft you'll maintain.  If you can get +3?  You're golden.

In my post I didn't dis Rick, I only said trading down didn't work.

Quote: @TBro said:
Even the Dolphins, without a first round pick, were rated higher. 

Favorite pick: Addison

Day 3 pick who could surprise: McBride

Nothing that hasn't already been written. 

This draft will be won or lost with the other picks sandwiched in the middle. We need these draft "Sleepers" to prove a lot of the experts wrong to field a respectable defense and last year's class to have an impact and stay healthy. Tall order and a lot of pressure on Flores.  

Where were they ranked a year ago ,after 2022 draft?

Because that looked like a bad draft and by the onfield results a year into it,  it was a bad draft.

Vikings got no help or play from their draft,

This draft feels the same way.

Quote: @Mattyman said:
@TBro said:
Even the Dolphins, without a first round pick, were rated higher. 

Favorite pick: Addison

Day 3 pick who could surprise: McBride

Nothing that hasn't already been written. 

This draft will be won or lost with the other picks sandwiched in the middle. We need these draft "Sleepers" to prove a lot of the experts wrong to field a respectable defense and last year's class to have an impact and stay healthy. Tall order and a lot of pressure on Flores.  

Where were they ranked a year ago ,after 2022 draft?

Because that looked like a bad draft and by the onfield results a year into it,  it was a bad draft.

Vikings got no help or play from their draft,

This draft feels the same way.

Yeah it sucks when players get hurt. Maybe wait another year or so before saying the draft was a failure. 

Quote: @FLVike said:
@AGRforever said:
@FLVike said:

I worked plenty of times.  We had lots later round guys we had on the team over the years.  Even Darrisaw should count.  We traded down, got a good player and more picks.  Obviously those picks haven't done anything but the trade down itself was successful. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@FLVike said:
@AGRforever said:
@FLVike said:

I worked plenty of times.  We had lots later round guys we had on the team over the years.  Even Darrisaw should count.  We traded down, got a good player and more picks.  Obviously those picks haven't done anything but the trade down itself was successful. 

How in the world should Darrisaw count? That would be my reasoning that you are now using. I said we should trade our late round picks and only pick from rounds 1-3. However any trade is done, picking in rounds 1-3 is all I am saying. I never said late round picks are never good. All I was saying is trading down for late round picks never worked. If it had, we would have played in a Superbowl, that is the goal, by the way. For some long timers like myself,  nothing else matters.
I will try to simplify what I want; I would like to see a draft where we trade all our picks in rounds 4-7 and only pick in rounds 1-3. Whatever we do or trade in any round doesn't matter as long as we only pick in rounds 1-3.