Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Harbough Watch
From PFT, I think they have it spot on:

"Harbaugh has new G.M. Kwesi Adofo-Mensah in his corner. Which should be enough. As we’ve said in connection with the Vikings, Bears, and Giants, these teams need to let their General Managers hire the coaches they want. The coach-G.M. relationship is critical to the functionality of a franchise. They need to be on the same page.
What better way to do it than to let the G.M. hire the coach he thinks he’d work well with?
There may indeed be others in the Minnesota organization who are leery about Harbaugh. With all due respect to any of those people, what has the team won while you’ve been there? It’s for ownership to understand the human factors that may cause some who feel threatened by change to get on board with it, if change is going to nudge the Vikings in the direction that ownership hopes they will go."

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
I'm not too big of a fan of Jimmy

Jimmy knows QBs though.

Here are Jimmy's QBs at Michigan ...

Jake Rudduck

Wilton Speight

John O'Korn

Shea Patterson

Joe Milton

Cade McNamara

... Yuck!

Keep Jimmy away from decisions about which QB to draft please.

Here is how I really feel about Coach Hairball ...

[Image: hairball.gif]
He was also the QB coach of Rich Gannon his 2002 NFL MVP year.  Coached up Andrew Luck at Stanford, turned around Alex Smith's career, and helped Colin Kaepernick become a star.  

QB recruiting of a big 10 school is a tad different than your ability to work with pros (which he has done a fantastic job at).

Quote: @Skodin said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Jimmy knows QBs though.

Jake Rudduck

Wilton Speight

John O'Korn

Shea Patterson

Joe Milton

Cade McNamara

... Yuck!

He was also the QB coach of Rich Gannon his 2002 NFL MVP year.  Coached up Andrew Luck at Stanford, turned around Alex Smith's career, and helped Colin Kaepernick become a star.  

QB recruiting of a big 10 school is a tad different than your ability to work with pros (which he has done a fantastic job at).
He gets credit for Gannon yet Geep Chryst, the QB coach for the 49ers in 2011 & 2012 does not.  Got it.

Smith was OK and they drafted Kaepernick and traded Smith because they liked him so much.

The thing I like the most about him is that he said he does not want to be involved in personnel decisions.

I am torn as I feel this is the same as the GM hire:

High risk, but high reward.

This is only going to go one of two ways:  fail spectacularly, or just so crazy it might just work.

The only poker chips I'm playing with are my emotions ... well fuck it, let's go all in rather than playing it safe and being a perennial borderline playoff caliber team.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@Skodin said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Jimmy knows QBs though.

Jake Rudduck

Wilton Speight

John O'Korn

Shea Patterson

Joe Milton

Cade McNamara

... Yuck!

He gets credit for Gannon yet Geep Chryst, the QB coach for the 49ers in 2011 & 2012 does not.  Got it.

Smith was OK and they drafted Kaepernick and traded Smith because they liked him so much.

The thing I like the most about him is that he said he does not want to be involved in personnel decisions.
Smith was teetering on being a bust before Harbaugh got there.  He turned him into a damn good QB who lead multiple lead taking drives in the divisional and championship games late in the 4th quarter.  He was a little more than OK with 5 TDs and 500 yards in passing in those two playoff games.

2012 was his best season yet (top 4 QB rating, best passing completion %) but was injured with a concussion when Kaep came in and became the hot hand.  Harbaugh stuck with the hot hand and was a goal to go situation from winning a championship.  He was dealt for (2) 2nd round picks and went to the Pro Bowl his first in KC.  Smith did a great job but his career would have been drastically different without the staff lead by Harbaugh.

Throw in bringing in Pep Hamilton who coached up Luck & Herbert their rookie years, Davis Mills this year in Houston, these guys know QBs

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
I am torn as I feel this is the same as the GM hire:

High risk, but high reward.

This is only going to go one of two ways:  fail spectacularly, or just so crazy it might just work.

The only poker chips I'm playing with are my emotions ... well fuck it, let's go all in rather than playing it safe and being a perennial borderline playoff caliber team.
After hearing testimonies of him being a very demanding yet a "players coach", I'm starting to like the idea of Harbaugh too, but I'm still not sold.  I guess I don't have to be unless he's actually hired.
If he becomes the Vikes new HC, I hope it's a case of "hating him until I love him" and he wins me over.  B)

For this being a supposedly just a formality, it sure is taking along time for any information to leak out.  Maybe the longer it takes means that not everybody (ownership) is onboard the Jim Harbaugh express.  

Quote: @Greylock said:
For this being a supposedly just a formality, it sure is taking along time for any information to leak out.  Maybe the longer it takes means that not everybody (ownership) is onboard the Jim Harbaugh express.  
It is likely in between.  The Wilfs are likely just tying off for final buy in.  The last thing they want is to piss off Kwesi and team instantly by overruling a decision he makes.  I have to believe if Harbaugh is Kwesi's guy and Harbaugh is reasonable to even slightly unreasonable in his demands, he will be our coach.  There are a lot of boxes to check to make sure there isn't a backlash regarding minority hiring etc., so formality processes are going the way of the abacus more every day.  I don't think that changes the fact that Kwesi feels Harbaugh is the guy for the job, and he'll be our next coach if so.   I do believe it takes a little longer and is a little more silent because of what I've said above, and because Harbaugh will need some plausible deniability should he return to Michigan because they couldn't come together on the money.

Quote: @Skodin said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@Skodin said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Jimmy knows QBs though.

Jake Rudduck

Wilton Speight

John O'Korn

Shea Patterson

Joe Milton

Cade McNamara

... Yuck!

Smith was teetering on being a bust before Harbaugh got there.  He turned him into a damn good QB who lead multiple lead taking drives in the divisional and championship games late in the 4th quarter.  He was a little more than OK with 5 TDs and 500 yards in passing in those two playoff games.

2012 was his best season yet (top 4 QB rating, best passing completion %) but was injured with a concussion when Kaep came in and became the hot hand.  Harbaugh stuck with the hot hand and was a goal to go situation from winning a championship.  He was dealt for (2) 2nd round picks and went to the Pro Bowl his first in KC.  Smith did a great job but his career would have been drastically different without the staff lead by Harbaugh.

Throw in bringing in Pep Hamilton who coached up Luck & Herbert their rookie years, Davis Mills this year in Houston, these guys know QBs
Crazy part of all this is I was wanting Pep Hamilton for HC months ago.  

To bring him in as OC with Harbaugh as HC would be a scenario I would have never imagined even possible.  Our offense and QBing would go to a new level.