Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last 8 offensive plays...15 yds
What surprises me is a few weeks ago when the Vikings were 1-5, certain posters were calling for "Tank for Trevor" and lose out the season.  Now the same posters are complaining about losing a game yesterday.  I saw going in before the first game the Vikings were not a very good football team, barely a .500 team by the end of the season.  Yes we need a quarterback, yes we need 3T defensive tackle and yes another offensive guard...probably a whole slew of other positions to fill because when the season is over, more veteran players are going to get their walking papers.  We are looking at an organization going into full rebuilding mode and will be 2 or 3 years away at being a completive team again.  We might as well accept it and roll with it.  Disappointment is going to be the normal for awhile.

Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
What surprises me is a few weeks ago when the Vikings were 1-5, certain posters were calling for "Tank for Trevor" and lose out the season.  Now the same posters are complaining about losing a game yesterday.  I saw going in before the first game the Vikings were not a very good football team, barely a .500 team by the end of the season.  Yes we need a quarterback, yes we need 3T defensive tackle and yes another offensive guard...probably a whole slew of other positions to fill because when the season is over, more veteran players are going to get their walking papers.  We are looking at an organization going into full rebuilding mode and will be 2 or 3 years away at being a completive team again.  We might as well accept it and roll with it.  Disappointment is going to be the normal for awhile.
this is more frustration that they didnt accept what you said ( what most of us saw) and sell those vets at the trade deadline in preparation for a complete rebuild,  instead they kept them,  and managed to add a few meaningless wins and are now likely out of the QB race this year which will only extend that window of disappointment.

This was a team loss, but I keep going back to this: 

“Damn we left Cousins too much time on the clock!”... Said no team ever!!! 
Confused 

I look at this game, and it’s the reason you have to be
looking to draft an upgrade to Cousins. 

Is this loss Cousins fault? 
Not really, the defense isn’t good at all, but sometimes things don’t go
to plan, and at those times you need to lean on your best players, and that’s
not Cousins.  If you can’t lean on your
QB to win games like this, you need to replace them, because you need to lean
on your QB during a SB run.

I think it’s pretty obvious that our defense isn’t good
enough to win a SB, but I also think it’s obvious that Cousins isn’t good
enough to win a SB.  We would need to have
a near flawless team to carry Cousins to a SB win.  We need our two Pro Bowl caliber receivers
and All Pro caliber RB.  We need our good
OLine, because when one of them is out, the train goes off the tracks.

Quote: @"medaille" said:

a near flawless team to carry Cousins to a SB win.  We need our two Pro Bowl caliber receivers
I think Cousins is plenty good enough to win a Super Bowl. Can he avoid playing poorly in enough big games to get there? Don't know. And that uncertainty is probably why we'll be drafting a QB soon.

But I don't know why Cousins' name is even brought up when it comes to the Dallas game. He played a really nice game. Can't think of a single thing he did that I could point to and say THAT'S why we lost. Sure, I'm frustrated that the offense couldn't put the game away on the last two drives, but the offense has 11 players. And our superstar rookie, like Thielen last week, had a ball go right through his hands. 

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
You're right, Zanary, I've never been a Cousins fan.  I don't hate him.  I just don't think he's very good when the game is on the line.  Maybe you disagree, and good for you.
When the Vikes got the ball with plenty of time to at least tie it, I said to my wife "Now it's time to see what our 30 million dollar QB can do!". 

He once again showed us.
Yeah, how DARE he not catch his own passes...

Quote: @"Zanary" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
You're right, Zanary, I've never been a Cousins fan.  I don't hate him.  I just don't think he's very good when the game is on the line.  Maybe you disagree, and good for you.
When the Vikes got the ball with plenty of time to at least tie it, I said to my wife "Now it's time to see what our 30 million dollar QB can do!". 

He once again showed us.
His last two drives were a 3 and out then a 4 and out.  Don't you expect better production from the highest paid player on the team?  I dont' think it's just me.  Anyway, I'm over it now.  I do root for Kirk, but I mainly expect failure if we're down late in the 4th.

Here's a snippet from pf's article he posted above:But on Sunday,  when Patrick Mahomes orchestrated a game-winning
75-yard touchdown drive to beat the Raiders and Aaron Rodgers led a
drive for a game-tying field goal around the same time the Vikings went
four-and-out to 
lose to the Cowboys by three,
critiques resurfaced about Cousins in the clutch. A day after the
Vikings’ third loss by a field goal or less, it’s worth looking at
Cousins’  record in high-pressure moments and attempting to put it in
context.

We should acknowledge first that last-minute drives —
when offenses must abandon the run game and operate with a condensed
playbook against a defense that has the clock on its side and can go
after the quarterback — are not environments conducive to consistent
success. They constitute a relatively small aspect of a quarterback’s
body of work, and a larger sample size isn’t necessarily a good thing,
since it often means a quarterback is playing for a team that finds
itself behind in the closing minutes. It should perhaps come as no
surprise that since 2015 (the year Cousins became a full-time starter),
the quarterback who has thrown the most passes in the final four minutes
of a game where his team trailed by eight points or less is Philip
Rivers, with 187 attempts.

But even when measuring a relatively
small body of work, the quarterbacks with the best numbers in
last-minute situations are the names you’d expect. Mahomes has the NFL’s
best passer rating (115.6) of quarterbacks who’ve thrown at least 50
passes since 2015, according to Pro Football Reference. After the
retired Andrew Luck comes Ben Roethlisberger (105.0), Drew Brees (97.6),
Ryan Tannehill (97.0) and Russell Wilson (93.1). Andy Dalton, who led
the Cowboys’ comeback against the Vikings on Sunday, is actually next at
92.9, just in front of Brady at 92.0.

Cousins’ passer rating in
such situations — 73.1 — ranks 20th of the 33 quarterbacks who’ve thrown
at least 50 passes since 2015. He’s actually just behind Rodgers, who
comes in 19th at 75.4, but while Rodgers has built his narrative with 10
fourth-quarter scores or game-winning drives in the final four minutes
since 2015, Cousins has only done it six times (to go with two ties).

Quote: @"Zanary" said:
@"HappyViking" said:

He once again showed us.
why the fuck not?  Dalton did it.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:

I think Cousins is plenty good enough to win a Super Bowl. Can he avoid playing poorly in enough big games to get there? Don't know. And that uncertainty is probably why we'll be drafting a QB soon.

But I don't know why Cousins' name is even brought up when it comes to the Dallas game. He played a really nice game. Can't think of a single thing he did that I could point to and say THAT'S why we lost. Sure, I'm frustrated that the offense couldn't put the game away on the last two drives, but the offense has 11 players. And our superstar rookie, like Thielen last week, had a ball go right through his hands. 
I think it's super tough for a mediocre QB to win a SB, because mediocre QBs almost by definition tend to make mistakes or not capitalize on opportunities often enough that cost their teams games.  They end up closer to .500 on the season.  They have a tougher road to get to the SB with more games on the road.  Then once you get to the playoffs you are going to need to put together 3-4 winning games in a row against the best teams in the league.

If you want to win a SB, you really need to have a top 5 QB.  If you don't have a top 5 QB you need to be so overpowering everywhere else and\or depend a lot on luck.  I think you're just better off doing your best with what you got, but always trying to upgrade the QB position until you find that top 5 guy.  Next year, we'll need to continue to build the OLine in front of Cousins and get the defense to a top 10 level.

cousins actually led the team to a lead with 3 minutes or less against the Titans and Seahawks.  He didn't call the run on 4th and inches vs the seahawks.  He also didn't let the other offense in both games drive right down the field to take the lead.  

Getting the ball with a minute left when the other team knows what you are going to do is tough.  If JJ catches that pass on 2nd and 6 he turns that up the field for at least 15 yds and its a completely different ball game.