Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Jimmy, why are you deleting posts again?
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@Caactorvike said:
@greediron said:
@Caactorvike said:
Well no Greed I think you got it wrong.  While I’m sure it feels good to pat oneself on the back, “ when we are acting specifically in a mod role, we are simply posters and have a right to our opinions” is simply wrong.  When acting specifically as a mod is exactly the time you should put aside your personal opinions and be as unbiased as you can be.  You have no right “when acting  specifically as a mod” to inject yourself in any way. It’s simple—When you are a mod act like one.  Of course, when you are simply a poster you should feel free to express your personal opinions as you wish. 

Well no actually, you have no idea what you are talking about.  When acting as a Mod, we are specifically injecting ourselves into a conversation that we often weren't involved in.  Yes, when we are a mod, we should act it.  Just like adults should act like it as well.  Doesn't always work out that way, but that is how it should be.
And Mike is the one that has specifically reminded us that the mods are also posters and can be posters.  When they have to be a mod, they should set aside politics and personal items.  And I think most have been very good at that.  Even when being called all sorts of names by both extremes. 
That post makes absolutely no sense. You contradict yourself from one paragraph to the next. Paragraph One:  “ when acting as a mod we are specifically injecting ourselves into a conversation”.  Paragraph two:  “when they have to be a mod, they should set aside politics and personal items.”  So which is it???   Your point in paragraph two is EXACTLY  what I was saying!  And you say I “ have no idea” what I’m talking about?  Hahaha you are LAUGHABLE. Jesus, is it possible for a mod to be wrong?  I guess not. Ok, tough guy, keep patting yourself on the back.
Greed and I have come to some kind of detente, which is great, but he's not one for admitting he's wrong about something. Just sayin'. 
is that something unique to Greed on this board,  or does that pretty much sum up about every poster on here?   Not to many I ever see take a knee and admit defeat and any side of an argument,  especially the topics that belong in the ST arena.
I've seen it and done it. But to your point, yeah its mostly par for the course. This isn't a political argument however, its about mod/poster hypocrisy. Its not like its an easy line nor an easy job, but maybe saying, 'yeah its really an untenable situation and we mostly error on the side of being a poster' isn't the end of the world, is it? Its something that we can all understand and relate to. 
I was having a hard time staying with his line myself,  but I know what he is trying to say.  I figured I would stay out of it and let him straighten out what he was trying to say in the first place.

I think he was simply trying to say we are still posters here and shouldnt hold back because of the mod hat that we are sometimes forced to wear,  however when we put that hat on,  we need to forget our personal views on the matter and try to enforce the rules unilaterally regardless of how we feel about the offending or offended parties,  we have rules of the board and we have to try our best to enforce them equally... of course nobody believes that,  but its still what we do and the number one reason when I do take action I always try to refer that poster to the other mods for a second and third opinion.... i have been over ruled before and I am sure it will happen again and thats why the system is set up how it is.

EDIT: Its also why Mike gave us the ability to remove posters from threads without taking stronger actions like banning them from the board.   its a temporary action to try and remove people from tense situations without taking them completely off the board.  Most would realize that if they are removed that they are likely on the verge of more strict action and back down for a bit... some dont,  but it give the rest of the mods time to review that persons action before taking more serious or permanent action.  Hell,  I've been removed from a thread myself.

Yes, maybe poorly put, you are right on what i was driving at. Mods here tend to over discuss things before acting.  So to be accused of taking things into our own hands is laughable.

But I don't abide by the holier than thou stance of some taking personal shots because their panties are in a wad.  It is time for adults to act like it.

Quote: @greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
@Caactorvike said:
@greediron said:
@Caactorvike said:
Well no Greed I think you got it wrong.  While I’m sure it feels good to pat oneself on the back, “ when we are acting specifically in a mod role, we are simply posters and have a right to our opinions” is simply wrong.  When acting specifically as a mod is exactly the time you should put aside your personal opinions and be as unbiased as you can be.  You have no right “when acting  specifically as a mod” to inject yourself in any way. It’s simple—When you are a mod act like one.  Of course, when you are simply a poster you should feel free to express your personal opinions as you wish. 

Well no actually, you have no idea what you are talking about.  When acting as a Mod, we are specifically injecting ourselves into a conversation that we often weren't involved in.  Yes, when we are a mod, we should act it.  Just like adults should act like it as well.  Doesn't always work out that way, but that is how it should be.
And Mike is the one that has specifically reminded us that the mods are also posters and can be posters.  When they have to be a mod, they should set aside politics and personal items.  And I think most have been very good at that.  Even when being called all sorts of names by both extremes. 
That post makes absolutely no sense. You contradict yourself from one paragraph to the next. Paragraph One:  “ when acting as a mod we are specifically injecting ourselves into a conversation”.  Paragraph two:  “when they have to be a mod, they should set aside politics and personal items.”  So which is it???   Your point in paragraph two is EXACTLY  what I was saying!  And you say I “ have no idea” what I’m talking about?  Hahaha you are LAUGHABLE. Jesus, is it possible for a mod to be wrong?  I guess not. Ok, tough guy, keep patting yourself on the back.
Greed and I have come to some kind of detente, which is great, but he's not one for admitting he's wrong about something. Just sayin'. 

lol.  Yeah I have.  I have multiple times here.  Even with you.
Ha, I'm not remembering, but.....as I get older, I'm 'not remembering' more and more. My bad if you did. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
@Caactorvike said:
@greediron said:
@Caactorvike said:

lol.  Yeah I have.  I have multiple times here.  Even with you.
Ha, I'm not remembering, but.....as I get older, I'm 'not remembering' more and more. My bad if you did. 
I have the same problem,  but my wife blames it on the canadian whiskey.

I think some people just like to argue for sake of argument.  You run into it in all factors of life, definitely more on the internet.   Nothing better than bravely spouting off your opinions when you are not face to face with someone Smile.

And to be clear to all, as sometimes my thoughts in my head don't quite make it to the keyboard, I am posting here in my own capacity as a poster, not a mod.  So these opinions are my own.  I am expressing that when we put on the mod hat, we do our best to be impartial, we always run it by other mods first and try to be balanced.
I know I rub certain people the wrong way.  As stickybun mentions, we have a very un-symbiotic relationship.  But I respect his take on many things.  He believes himself a moderate and I read his opinion from that perspective and often take that into consideration, not always agreeing.  But I value the perspective.
But my posting is my own, and I try to own it, begrudgingly admitting when I make a mistake.  As I said, as mods we do our best to set that aside, avoid actions that may be perceived wrong because of the relationships we have developed here, and always, always talk it over with other mods.  So sorry for getting a bit hot. I don't like the accusation that any of the mods here have personal vendettas for certain posters.  We go out of our way to avoid that.  As Jimmy said, many of us have been cussed out by both sides.

Quote: @greediron said:
@Caactorvike said:
@greediron said:
@Caactorvike said:

Do you understand what moderation is on a forum?  It is specifically injecting into a coversation that has gone off the rails.  If you don't understand that, then you have no idea what you are talking about.  Your personal shots at me aside, yes it is possible for a mod to be wrong.  Many have apologized for mistakes at different times on this site. 
but never Greediron. stop "injecting" YOURSELF into a discussion long enough to implement guidelines of the board without offering your opinions and bias FFS.
as a POSTER you are free to express your opinions of course but as a MOD you have a responsibility not to your opinion but to guidelines set down by the board.

Quote:
@KingBash said:

Interesting. Well regardless, lost in all the fervor of the looters being pieces of shit, there's zero discussion here about the peaceful protestors gassed Monday night - without warning - on Trump's orders so he could have a photo op as he fumbled a Bible in front of a church... all because people made fun of him the day before, hiding in a bunker and turning the porch lights off because people had mean signs about him outside.

Just wondering why that was deleted. I didn't attack anybody. 
I tried to explain it in real time in my thread as I spent my entire night watching it evolve from Facebook LIVE and Youtube LIVE searches.  But I feel like I'm viewed as a part of some "side" ya'll are fighting against just because i'm not in line or something...

There certainly WAS warning. Not just from President Trump, but Governer Walz. He held a 1 am press conference, Friday night I believe, telling people to get off of the streets!!! He told people the National Guard was coming in. He sternly looked at the camera and said this is NOT a joke, go home.

The issue really is for all of the police brutality videos, articles and stories you WE are getting, you WE are NOT getting the entire picture of what the riots were! They we're fucked! It WAS a war! Innocent people have had their entire lives flipped upside down. Families are terrorized. KIDS! People of every race in MN arming themselves to protect their own. 

That's also a thing nobody wants to talk about... all of this police action, national guard response and "threat" of military build organically in real time night after night. I swear to god, we just wake up and see the shit people fling at us to get us upset. Some want us to vote blue and turn it off, some apparently are ready to FIGHT so bad they are begging others to clash with each-other, well after the real rioting has calmed down. 

I get emotional thinking about the brutality though man. I certainly DO have compassion for the people in the cross fire of this shit. People who have been permanently scarred by the police response; i totally agree that shit IS fucked man... It is!! Police officer in Vegas got shot in the back of the head by a civilian - that shit's fucked too.

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
I tried to explain it in real time in my thread, but I feel like I'm viewed as a part of some "side" ya'll are fighting against.

There certainly WAS warning. Not just from President Trump, but Governer Walz. He held a 1 am press conference, Friday night I believe, telling people to get off of the streets!!! He told people the National Guard was coming in. He sternly looked at the camera and said this is NOT a joke.

The issue really is for all of the police brutality videos, articles and stories you are getting, you are NOT getting the entire picture of what the riots were! They we're fucked! It WAS a war!

That's the secret nobody wants to talk about... all of this police action, national guard response and "threat" of military build organically in real time night after night. I swear to god, we just wake up and see the shit people fling at us...
i dont understand some of the empathy for people that sit and scream obscenities at these law enforcement officers when they are responded to... now some of this is excessive,  but I also think some of the videos arent showing the whole incident and the media is rarely giving the whole story.  I did see one incident (i dont remember where it was)  where there was a peaceful protest and the cops were pretty chill but some of the protestors started to jump a fence to try and shut down the adjacent highway and the cops responded with tear gas on those that jumped the fence,  one station was reporting it as cops tear gassed peaceful protest,  another actually pointed out that it was just used on those that jumped the fence and that they had been warned repeatedly to stay off the highway. ( IIRC this was in Philly )

I also am thinking that we are a week into this shit,  the cops and NG are pulling super long hours in super tense circumstances,  sleep deprived and patience will wear thin,  i fully expect things to keep getting worse as these guys have been stretched for to long already.

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:

@KingBash said:

Interesting. Well regardless, lost in all the fervor of the looters being pieces of shit, there's zero discussion here about the peaceful protestors gassed Monday night - without warning - on Trump's orders so he could have a photo op as he fumbled a Bible in front of a church... all because people made fun of him the day before, hiding in a bunker and turning the porch lights off because people had mean signs about him outside.

I tried to explain it in real time in my thread as I spent my entire night watching it evolve from Facebook LIVE and Youtube LIVE searches.  But I feel like I'm viewed as a part of some "side" ya'll are fighting against just because i'm not in line or something...

There certainly WAS warning. Not just from President Trump, but Governer Walz. He held a 1 am press conference, Friday night I believe, telling people to get off of the streets!!! He told people the National Guard was coming in. He sternly looked at the camera and said this is NOT a joke, go home.

The issue really is for all of the police brutality videos, articles and stories you WE are getting, you WE are NOT getting the entire picture of what the riots were! They we're fucked! It WAS a war! Innocent people have had their entire lives flipped upside down. Families are terrorized. KIDS! People of every race in MN arming themselves to protect their own. 

That's also a thing nobody wants to talk about... all of this police action, national guard response and "threat" of military build organically in real time night after night. I swear to god, we just wake up and see the shit people fling at us to get us upset. Some want us to vote blue and turn it off, some apparently are ready to FIGHT so bad they are begging others to clash with each-other, well after the real rioting has calmed down. 

I get emotional thinking about the brutality though man. I certainly DO have compassion for the people in the cross fire of this shit. People who have been permanently scarred by the police response; i totally agree that shit IS fucked man... It is!! Police officer in Vegas got shot in the back of the head by a civilian - that shit's fucked too.
KB was referring to the peaceful protests in Washington DC not Mpls. In Washington the protesters were tear gassed, flashbombed and had rubber bullets fired at them ( and an Australian reporter was beat up) Without warning and before the curfew, simply so Trump could waddle a block or two to a church he never attended and hold up a book he had never read. All for a 3 min. Photo op.

Quote: @Caactorvike said:
@BlackMagic7 said:

@KingBash said:

KB was referring to the peaceful protests in Washington DC not Mpls. In Washington the protesters were tear gassed, flashbombed and had rubber bullets fired at them ( and an Australian reporter was beat up) Without warning and before the curfew, simply so Trump could waddle a block or two to a church he never attended and hold up a book he had never read. All for a 3 min. Photo op.
Which is not how it happened, according to the National Park Service Director. 

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/uspp/6_2_20_statement_from_acting_chief_monahan.htm

All this outrage over a "photo op", and not one lament in these posts  about the historic church burning. 
Interesting.