@purplefaithful said:
@suncoastvike said:
@purplefaithful said:
@suncoastvike said:
@purplefaithful said:
@suncoastvike said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:

Watch the tape from those games and see how many times Diggs is open but just doesn't get the ball. At times because Cousins was under too much pressure, but also at times when he was not and just didn't pull the trigger. Diggs is far from the problem. One can make a "best use of resources" argument in favor of a trade, but not a talent or injury one. 

You're right that if you're going to trade a receiver, Diggs would be the one to trade. I disagree with anyone who argues that Thielen would bring as much in return. He wouldn't. And that's mostly due to age. That said, teams almost never trade a star player for a pick that replaces that star player (Moss/Williamson notwithstanding). The potential failure of that trade is too conspicuous. 

Yes, Joseph, Rhodes, Griffen and Reiff are probably gone. We're currently $5M over the cap, which is expected to increase by $8M, putting us at $3M. Releasing the above frees roughly $40, giving us $43M to spend on our own free agents (likely Harris and Weatherly. Maybe Waynes, Mack Al) and perhaps one key free agent (Scherff?) and a couple of lower tier guys. All without sacrificing your best receiver for a draft pick that could easily be Troy Williamson or Corey Davis or John Ross or Corey Coleman or Will Fuller....
This (bolded part of your post) is 100% true.  I saw some screenshots of Kirk at the top of his drop with no pressure and he had opportunities to hit Diggs downfield in single coverage and either didn't see it or refused to throw it.  We can't have that...  especially in games where San Francisco clearly made it an emphasis to stop our running game.  It's very concerning after watching Cousins take those shots and make that throw to Thielen against New Orleans...  where did that guy go?
Kirk is just moody maybe. When he's in the mood he throws and games. When he's not he worries and holds. I'm getting a little tired of wondering which will show up. I'm also getting even more tired of Kirk not showing up most times when needed most.
He is what he is. I don't think you build around someone like him. You always build a team but a team any decent QB can win with is not the same as building around one. For that we could have built a team and got Case or someone like that.

2019 Keenum: 10 games played, 160 completions/247 attempts, 64.8%, 6.9 ya, 11 td, 5 int, 91.3 qbr
2019 Cousins: 15 games played, 307 completions/444 attempts, 69.1%, 8.1 ya, 26 td, 6 int, 107.4 qbr

The same Keenum who spent the playoff's watching em? Not winning a game? 

I get KC has some flaws, some that may never go away, he needs a good surround. But he is durable and he is accurate and he is in the right system. These names getting tossed about as clear-cut replacements just continue to boggle my brain. 

No my point is if you don't have an elite QB you try to win as a team. We are spending elite QB money on a guy who rarely beats elite teams.
I just said Case it could be anybody. Kirk is top paid and that is holding us back from adding those other pieces that anybody could be good enough to win with.
I'm over Kirk. We each make up our own minds. 

Wilson
Roethilsburger
Rogers
Goff 
Wentz
Ryan 

All made more in 2019 base vs Cousins.

KC is getting paid about the same as JG and Stafford. I dont think that's the wrong place salary wise for him. 

Smith
Dalton
Mayfield
Flacco
Fowles
Newton
Brissett
Murray
Darnold
Trubisky
Rosen
Hoyer
Haskins
And others made less

The one who's getting robbery $ is KC with Mahomes. NO is investing 25 into Brees and more with Bridgewater. 

I guess my point is I'm not seeing many on the getting paid less pile that are a clear cut above KC and I'd argue most of em are quite a step down (or on Rook deals still). 

Does a lesser QB and better surround = more wins than double down on OL with KC?

I dont believe that to be the case when I look at the names. We'll have all off-season to banter it about.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/ave...arterback/
I understand all that. Then Kirks plays the Bears or the Packers. The Seahags or the  Chiefs...ect.  You know the games he was brought in to be the difference maker and we still don't win. I don't blame people for supporting Kirk. I don't ever blame Kirk. He's a Super nice guy. Loving family man, bet he even picks up after his dog. I'd love him as my neighbor. I'm not yet sold on him as the guy who's gonna win me that BIG game or enough of any big games to get there.
Ha!

I used to say the same about Leslie Frazier...A lovely man who'd you'd love as a neighbor or even an in-law...

Hey I get the trepidation over Cousins.

Look at the big games and it's not encouraging. I just dont see a viable alternative.

They really dont have a choice right now to do much else than the OL double-down and hope it gets us more wins in 20 vs 19.

Dont get swept by Pack and Bears? Like most seasons? Thats a 12 win season vs 10.

I hope RS gives a few posters here a call on what to do with the left side of that OL Smile

I don't think there is a better alternative right now. So just run it out. I just don't see extending him out to get cap relief and hope what hasn't worked yet will next year. That is not a better alternative I think.  I'm afraid though it's better for Mike a Rick. They have no alternative but to make it work. Which only makes me sad now because I really can't shake the feeling next year is  pointless already and hope of a real rebuild isn't going to happen till 2021. The thought of another window closing with no reward is depressing. I'm not usually one who let's hopelessness prevail but it's really kicking my @ss right now

[Image: animal-hugs-3.jpg]

honestly HATE the idea that teams are “rebuilding”, you should ALWAYS try and field the most competitive team possible given parameters of salary cap, draft, Free Agency.  you wanna Tell your veterans on the squad that your rebuilding....guys that have spilled their blood on the field for the franchise?

F that.    Our problem isnt Cousins (I hate the idea of a QBs “ceiling”). QBs cant have good years or bad ones?  good games and bad ones? 
How many years was Brees in the league before cheating into a title?
Phillip Rivers, Dan Moreno, Jim Kelly, Tarkenton hit their “ceiling”?  Did they single handedly lose big games?  even FRANCHISE QBs need support around them.  

Look at some of the garbage QBs who have pulled a magic season out of their ass and “won” the SB....Doug Williams, Foles, Dilfer, McMahon, couple others whose names escape me.  I think of the Redskins “HOGS”, the Bears / Raven defenses during those seasons.   Hell, I could take snaps on those teams.

Cousins is fine.  Just take the leash off of him and let ‘er rip.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
honestly HATE the idea that teams are “rebuilding”, you should ALWAYS try and field the most competitive team possible given parameters of salary cap, draft, Free Agency.  you wanna Tell your veterans on the squad that your rebuilding....guys that have spilled their blood on the field for the franchise?
Agree. Everyone assumes that tanking and rebuilding means you end up with blue chip players at the top of the draft. But what if you miss? You just set your team back a decade. It worked for San Francisco because they had a few very high draft picks and were able to hit on them....and then pair them with a pretty good trade acquisition in Handsome Jimmy. But what if you miss and draft another Trubisky, Winston, Mariota...?

It's better to keep the core together as much as you can and fill the unaffordable slots with cheaper free agents and lower draft picks. Maybe you get lucky with a Lamar Jackson or Dak Prescott type or high impact 2nd rounders like Michael Thomas or Darius Leonard.

I think blowing it up and rebuilding is a thing of the past. I think smart, good-drafting teams can avoid it. 

Anyone else see the similarities between Cousins & Derek Carr”s game or lack there of...? They seem to share similar struggles. Not sure either will take a team to the promised land...