Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Gopher football fans, look whats coming
I listened to Fleck at a corporate meeting my employer was having...

He spoke for about 45 minutes and I wanted to kill myself about 1/2 way through. 

Gophers, football coach P.J. Fleck nearing a contract extensionThe coach of the 8-0 Gophers signed an $18 million, five-year contract in 2016.
By  Joe Christensen Star TribuneNovember 4, 2019 — 9:20pm
P.J. Fleck is about to be rewarded for leading the Gophers to their best start to a season in nearly 80 years.
A new deal for the Gophers coach is in the works, a source with knowledge of the situation said Monday evening, and is close to being done.
Fleck has taken the Gophers to 8-0 with a No. 13 ranking this year, on the precipice of their biggest game in decades when No. 5 Penn State visits Saturday. The coach, in his third season, signed an $18 million contract for five years in 2016. He garnered a one-year extension in November 2017 and another in December 2018 to keep him with the Gophers through 2023 for a total of $25.5 million.
Fleck's $3.6 million salary for this season ranks 37th among all 130 FBS coaches and 11th of 14 coaches in the Big Ten Conference, according to USA Today.
The source would not disclose specifics of the negotiations, just that Fleck and the Gophers have been in discussions for awhile and are quite far along in the process. Athletics director Mark Coyle could not be reached for comment. Fleck's agent, Bryan Harlan, declined to comment on the matter.
Purdue's new contract with coach Jeff Brohm ahead of this season could foretell what could be in store for Fleck. Brohm signed a similar deal to Fleck's when he took the job around the same time Fleck joined the Gophers, but he earned a new contract worth $36.8 million through 2025 ahead of this season.
Fleck has been a head coach for seven years, notably taking Western Michigan from 1-11 in 2013 to 13-1 by the time he left for the Gophers after the 2016 season. In three seasons here, he has taken the program from 5-7 to 7-6 to undefeated in 2019.
The Maryland victory was Fleck's 50th, making him at age 38 the second-youngest active FBS coach to reach that milestone. He's a hot commodity on the coaching market, especially with jobs already opening up. Florida State, for example, fired coach Willie Taggert on Sunday, leaving an attractive opening at the ACC powerhouse.
http://www.startribune.com/gophers-footb...564469462/

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

He spoke for about 45 minutes and I wanted to kill myself about 1/2 way through. 
That is my feeling about the guy. That kind of intensity and cliche-ridden syntax is such a freakin' eye roll for me. I've seen my share of motivational speakers in a corporate environment, I've been mentored by strong leaders and seen great ones in action and none of them acted like this. Its ridiculous and you tune it out quickly. My guess is people get caught up in his tactics when the credit should go to his coaching ability and staff because he's successful. He's obviously a good coach. But I wonder what how long he can sustain this with the kid's of today? 

I don't wish Fleck ill will at all and its nice to see the Minnesota program doing well. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:

That is my feeling about the guy. That kind of intensity and cliche-ridden syntax is such a freakin' eye roll for me. I've seen my share of motivational speakers in a corporate environment, I've been mentored by strong leaders and seen great ones in action and none of them acted like this. Its ridiculous and you tune it out quickly. My guess is people get caught up in his tactics when the credit should go to his coaching ability and staff because he's successful. He's obviously a good coach. But I wonder what how long he can sustain this with the kid's of today? 

I don't wish Fleck ill will at all and its nice to see the Minnesota program doing well. 
The thing is...they are mostly done with him after a few years and hes onto new crop of kids that havent been brain battered by his over the top intensity so I'm betting as long as he can still sell it,  there will somebody buying.

Oh I think the kids buy into this...I think they eat it up like a dog at it's kibble. 

If they're winning? Becoming better people and citizens? I think its great. Good for Fleck in that regard, 

Not anything I'd personally want to have to hear day after day lol! 

all that matters is that the AD bought into it,  yard barker is reporting that PJ got his new deal,  7 years and a significant raise for himself and his staff.

As one schill reporter said, call it exclusively dating for the next 2-3 years...

Buyout is prohibitive 1st and 2nd year. After that? Pretty easy to walk.

Rare weekend in MN when the Gopher game is bigger than the Vikings one. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
As one schill reporter said, call it exclusively dating for the next 2-3 years...

At the bold.. set up for another extension in two years if he keeps winning Smile

Quote: @mblack said:
@purplefaithful said:

At the bold.. set up for another extension in two years if he keeps winning Smile
the curious part would be what does it cost the university to get rid of him if he doesnt win?  the coaches always have their futures protected, but what does it cost the state to get rid of him?