Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We sign Josh Kline
at least they got someone, I was afraid Spielman was going to neglect the OL til the later rounds of the draft without getting any kind of body.  

Quote: @Purple Haze said:
Think of it this way, he is better than what we had last season.  
Not from what MarkSP18 said (about Kline being rated lower than Compton)!!!  Confused   :o

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
That is almost as much as Easton.
Why not just pay Easton?
I don't think they wanted to pay Easton that much because of his injury. I don't think the Saints did either...until Unger retired. 

Sounds like most observers think Kline is an upgrade from Easton. Personally, I think it's a wash. Both are good pass blockers and poor run blockers. Physically and athletically, they're twins. Kline gets the edge for durability, Easton for versatility. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@MarkSP18 said:
That is almost as much as Easton.
Why not just pay Easton?
I don't think they wanted to pay Easton that much because of his injury. I don't think the Saints did either...until Unger retired. 

Sounds like most observers think Kline is an upgrade from Easton. Personally, I think it's a wash. Both are good pass blockers and poor run blockers. Physically and athletically, they're twins. Kline gets the edge for durability, Easton for versatility. 
You do know now that Easton will not miss a start the next 3 years at least.....its the Vikings way.

Last year Remmers flagged 6 times for holding

Last 4 years total Klein has 5 holding flags

Remmers 18 holding penalties in last 4 years

Quote: @FSUVike said:
So.Kubiak and Dennison all the sudden don't know how to coach up.O-Linemen despite years of evidence to the contrary?

Or maybe you still believe it's just evil old Rick sitting in his ivory tower purposely trying to get himself and Zimmer fired.
Come on, I don't think even NJV thinks Rick is trying to get himself fired. But some people are very obsessive in resisting change and latch on to a minimal alternative and exaggerate it so they can continue their preferred method. So, yes, I do think Kubiak and Dennison can improve offensive linemen - but I fear that Spielman and Zimmer have convinced themselves that these new coaches are a panacea which will solve offensive problems so well that there is no need to rebalance team resources away from their dream of defensive perfection.
Kubiak and Dennison have a good track record for offensive coaching, and I hope Kline is someone they think can be improved. But I think coaching only goes so far and they are being asked to work with very moderate resources - while Zimmer has 8 defensive players averaging $10M each (cap space), including a 31-year-old DE who contributed little in 2018 and has viable young replacement options on the team.
So. Zimmer and Patterson suddenly don't know how to coach up defensive linemen - ones like Weatherly, Holmes, Bower and Johnson that they picked and have groomed for a couple years? Because it sure looks like they don't trust themselves.

The signing could be worse.  He is a zone guard and fits that scheme maybe better than Easton.  He was also miscast last year in a road grading blocking scheme which is why he was released, poor season for a poor fit player doesnt shock me.

I'm not holding my breath that he will be great but the right fit and the right coaching and we could be fine with him.

Vikings better hope they don't have ONE injury on the O-line this season because the depth will be horrific. Everyone will also be learning a new zone scheme with new coaches. You can see how this is lining up, right?? Less than optimal would be highly diplomatic.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Vikings better hope they don't have ONE injury on the O-line this season because the depth will be horrific. Everyone will also be learning a new zone scheme with new coaches. You can see how this is lining up, right?? Less than optimal would be highly diplomatic.
I feel this way too. I sure hope I'm being over dramatic. After 2016 and last year this team doesn't feel right. Though these are different times and circumstances. To me it feels like the 88 - 90 team. Jerry Burns had what seemed to be alot of talent that just never seemed to gel. Past that one miraculous run. We mortgaged everything for that one piece we felt was missing only to realize there was alot more holes then we thought. With a coach that openly questioned if he was getting through to the team. I am a bit concerned we slammed another window shut that wasn't as open as I believed.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I feel like they have to come out of draft with 4 OL.  Just so they have some depth.  It is just crazy how thin we are there even compared to last years OL.