Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stefanski news
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
Grimm would be awesome, but why did he retire after doing so well in Tennessee? And not end up anywhere else? Curious.
Coaching is such a fraternal brotherhood in the NFL.

I think a lot of times it's fit - personality fit and personal connections with staff/ownership. The "softer stuff" 
Yes and Malarkey lining up his future coaching staff.

Im in tn. Malarkey got a raw deal here. He was generally liked. Would love to see him as OC. 

This is playing out exactly like we discussed in the first Stefanski thread. Not surprised that he is leaving on his own. Zimmer handled that very poorly imo.  Mularkey makes sense for the type of scheme he will bring and the style Zimmer wants. Likes the power running game. Since our Line needs to be completely retooled, bringing in those two would make sense if he can get Grimm to come with him. It also allows him to be hands off. 

Quote: @TBro said:
This is playing out exactly like we discussed in the first Stefanski thread. Not surprised that he is leaving on his own. Zimmer handled that very poorly imo.  Mularkey makes sense for the type of scheme he will bring and the style Zimmer wants. Likes the power running game. Since our Line needs to be completely retooled, bringing in those two would make sense if he can get Grimm to come with him. It also allows him to be hands off. 

I like Mularkey, but is "power running game" a shift away from the ZBS that Shurmur (and JDF and Stefanski) used? Because that has impact on the types of players preferred (e.g., Brian O'Neill vs Will Hernandez..), and in the past two years we liked guys like Easton, Elflein, Compton, Isador, Collins, who are mobile. It's also just a scheme change and a new system to learn...
IMO the OC has more to do with OL scheme design and maybe personnel selection than given credit. Sparano was OL coach under Norv Turner and tried to run a "power game" and add guys who could knock people around (or whatever he said after we added Willie Beavers..) and was absolutely unsuccessful in 2016. Then Shurmur took over, shifted us to more ZBS, and we were surprisingly decent. Not sure how much of that was even Sparano.

I think everyone is overplaying Stefanski’s emotional
components and Zimmer’s handling of his contract last year, pretending like
Stefanski is some jilted lover or something and that Zimmer did him dirty.

Fundamentally, Stefanski is a less than optimal fit
here.  We are a win now team.  Stefanski is an inexperienced coach.  Zimmer focuses on the defense and he would
greatly prefer that the OC handle the offense and he just touches base from a
high level.  Zimmer just got burned badly
going with an inexperienced OC.  I think
this is even more true if Edwards gets a HC job and he has two new coordinators.

I would guess Zimmer likes Stefanski, but really wants
someone with some experience.  If I was
Stefanski, I’d want to be OC under an offensive guru type HC, where you know
they are going to focus on making everyone on the offensive side of the ball
look great, and the HC has the experience to help you out if there’s some
struggles to work through.

If we keep Stefanski, I don’t think it’s horrible for either
party.  We do have a talented group of
skill position players and a defense that can take burden off the offense.  He’s familiar with our players and has
coached a wide variety of positions.  It’s
just not the best case scenario either way, and I think that limits how excited
either party could feel about the situation.

Quote: @medaille said:
I think everyone is overplaying Stefanski’s emotional
components and Zimmer’s handling of his contract last year, pretending like
Stefanski is some jilted lover or something and that Zimmer did him dirty.

Fundamentally, Stefanski is a less than optimal fit
here.  We are a win now team.  Stefanski is an inexperienced coach.  Zimmer focuses on the defense and he would
greatly prefer that the OC handle the offense and he just touches base from a
high level.  Zimmer just got burned badly
going with an inexperienced OC.  I think
this is even more true if Edwards gets a HC job and he has two new coordinators.

I would guess Zimmer likes Stefanski, but really wants
someone with some experience.  If I was
Stefanski, I’d want to be OC under an offensive guru type HC, where you know
they are going to focus on making everyone on the offensive side of the ball
look great, and the HC has the experience to help you out if there’s some
struggles to work through.

If we keep Stefanski, I don’t think it’s horrible for either
party.  We do have a talented group of
skill position players and a defense that can take burden off the offense.  He’s familiar with our players and has
coached a wide variety of positions.  It’s
just not the best case scenario either way, and I think that limits how excited
either party could feel about the situation.
I like this take. And what if, and this is just speculation on my part: Stefanski didn't want to go to the giants and coach an over the hill quarterback. And asked Zimmer to block it so he wasn't spurning a coach he could possibly be working with someday?  I have nothing to base it off of, but it is a possibility.

If hiring Mularkey means we get Grimm and Hogs II, this hire should have been made yesterday.

Didn't Zimmer say they'd have a new OC by end of today sometime?

He did. At the very least, we should know what's happening with Stefanski one way or the other.