Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which player failed to meet your expectations the most this season?
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@VikingOracle said:
I went with Linval -- he wasn't the same this year.  
I got to go with LJ as well, his reason for being is to make it tough to run up the middle on this defense and he couldn't do that,  also Richardson wasn't nearly as impactful as I had anticipated.  I expected OL issues after all the injuries in preseason, and for that to affect what we could do on offense,  but I didn't expect our DLine to be so inconsistent and ineffective. 
I agree to an extent.  Zimmer still is playing him too much IMO.  Here are the snaps played this year for the DL ...
Player  |  Total Snaps  |  Def Snaps  |  Def Snap Pct   |  ST Snaps  |  ST Snap Pct
99-D.Hunter  |  1023  |  877  |  84.4%  |  146  |  32.7%
93-S.Richardson  |  779  |  718  |  69.1%  |  61  |  13.6%
98-L.Joseph  |  721  |  669  |  64.4%  |  52  |  11.6%
91-S.Weatherly  |  652  |  523  |  50.3%  |  129  |  28.9%
97-E.Griffen  |  635  |  584  |  56.2%  |  51  |  11.4%
96-T.Johnson  |  368  |  342  |  32.9%  |  26  |  5.8%
94-J.Johnson  |  295  |  261  |  25.1%  |  34  |  7.6%
92-J.Holmes  |  58  |  58  |  5.6%  |  0  |  0.0%
95-D.Parry  |  58  |  50  |  4.8%  |  8  |  1.8%
90-T.Bower  |  56  |  53  |  5.1%  |  3  |  0.7%
... Joseph played 664 snaps last year.  He will be 31 next October so I think that they should lessen his snaps and get someone they trust to be his backup and let that person play more.
I guess Jaleel Johnson is the backup but I thought he was a 3 technique coming out of college. Not many scouting reports pegged him as a nose tackle or 1 technique.

I think they are paying him to much to use him as a role player,  if he is going to be making 10-13 million per year over the next few years,  he needs to be able to play a lot of snaps,  if he is only going to be out there for half the snaps,  he really needs to take a pay cut so we can afford to put a quality player in his place.
Agreed.  And that is why his contract is structured as it is because most older players with larger deals and declining play get that conversation from the GM about restructuring.
For me, knowing full well they need to address the offensive line, if Dexter Lawrence is there at #18 then from a salary cap perspective and talent perspective he could be a very good addition and the future nose for the Vikings.
Then, I would be super aggressive in the 2nd (i.e., trading up and using future picks if necessary) to go get the first offensive lineman.  In the 3rd round I would repeat this formula if necessary.
he still carries about 3.6 million in dead money in 19, that is a lot to eat if he doesnt cooperate,  last year I would have said that all these defensive guys have  "unfinished business" and would be more receptive to restructuring,  but after the way this year ended and the way the spielman did BRob.. I have to wonder if they will be as willing to take a cut to stay here or will want to take their chances with FA.   I am sure that their agents are already having wink and nod conversations with other teams to gauge their clients worth if they were to play hardball.
I am looking to 2020 before I would consider cutting or trading Joseph.  But they need to get a guy like Lawrence now to groom and make that decision easier IMHO.
with him only playing about half the snap in an ideal situation to keep him fresh enough to be effective,  IMO they have to look at restructuring him this year regardless of who they have coming in behind him.  OL help has to come via FA and that is going to be expensive.  I would still invest in OL in the draft early, but I am not willing to go into next year with 2 new rookie OG,  and I am not at all willing to go into next year with Remmer or Compton as their back up plans,  as far as Jones and Isisdora,  if they couldnt replace Compton and Remmers... why were they even on the team?
Gonna be tough to find a free agent guard but maybe a Roger Saffold who might be pricey or Andy Levitre who could be less expensive.
I think they need to resign Easton,  its going to need to be a friendly for both type of deal with him coming back from the next injury,  other than that they need to spend what ever it takes... or trade Cousins away because he is useless with pressure in his face,  you could see all year that he wanted to step up in the pocket, but it was so rarely there he couldnt trust it when he needed it.  i am disappointed in Cousins,  but nearly as much as others and certainly not as disappointed as I am in how our OL ended up looking.
Here is my solution.  You cannot trade Cousins until 2020.  If you do it then you will save 30 mil in cap space.  But he has to agree to a trade which is problematic.
I would use the #18 pick on Daniel Jones QB from Duke.  Then, I would be super aggressive in the 2nd AND 3rd rounds moving up to get interior line help.
I think drafting a QB in the first round puts Cousins on notice and forces him to step up.  May even piss him off a bit and get him to agree to a trade.
Of course, Jones better be good or else I am fired!

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@VikingOracle said:
I got to go with LJ as well, his reason for being is to make it tough to run up the middle on this defense and he couldn't do that,  also Richardson wasn't nearly as impactful as I had anticipated.  I expected OL issues after all the injuries in preseason, and for that to affect what we could do on offense,  but I didn't expect our DLine to be so inconsistent and ineffective. 
I agree to an extent.  Zimmer still is playing him too much IMO.  Here are the snaps played this year for the DL ...
Player  |  Total Snaps  |  Def Snaps  |  Def Snap Pct   |  ST Snaps  |  ST Snap Pct
... Joseph played 664 snaps last year.  He will be 31 next October so I think that they should lessen his snaps and get someone they trust to be his backup and let that person play more.
I guess Jaleel Johnson is the backup but I thought he was a 3 technique coming out of college. Not many scouting reports pegged him as a nose tackle or 1 technique.

I think they are paying him to much to use him as a role player,  if he is going to be making 10-13 million per year over the next few years,  he needs to be able to play a lot of snaps,  if he is only going to be out there for half the snaps,  he really needs to take a pay cut so we can afford to put a quality player in his place.
Agreed.  And that is why his contract is structured as it is because most older players with larger deals and declining play get that conversation from the GM about restructuring.
For me, knowing full well they need to address the offensive line, if Dexter Lawrence is there at #18 then from a salary cap perspective and talent perspective he could be a very good addition and the future nose for the Vikings.
Then, I would be super aggressive in the 2nd (i.e., trading up and using future picks if necessary) to go get the first offensive lineman.  In the 3rd round I would repeat this formula if necessary.
he still carries about 3.6 million in dead money in 19, that is a lot to eat if he doesnt cooperate,  last year I would have said that all these defensive guys have  "unfinished business" and would be more receptive to restructuring,  but after the way this year ended and the way the spielman did BRob.. I have to wonder if they will be as willing to take a cut to stay here or will want to take their chances with FA.   I am sure that their agents are already having wink and nod conversations with other teams to gauge their clients worth if they were to play hardball.
I am looking to 2020 before I would consider cutting or trading Joseph.  But they need to get a guy like Lawrence now to groom and make that decision easier IMHO.
with him only playing about half the snap in an ideal situation to keep him fresh enough to be effective,  IMO they have to look at restructuring him this year regardless of who they have coming in behind him.  OL help has to come via FA and that is going to be expensive.  I would still invest in OL in the draft early, but I am not willing to go into next year with 2 new rookie OG,  and I am not at all willing to go into next year with Remmer or Compton as their back up plans,  as far as Jones and Isisdora,  if they couldnt replace Compton and Remmers... why were they even on the team?
Gonna be tough to find a free agent guard but maybe a Roger Saffold who might be pricey or Andy Levitre who could be less expensive.
I think they need to resign Easton,  its going to need to be a friendly for both type of deal with him coming back from the next injury,  other than that they need to spend what ever it takes... or trade Cousins away because he is useless with pressure in his face,  you could see all year that he wanted to step up in the pocket, but it was so rarely there he couldnt trust it when he needed it.  i am disappointed in Cousins,  but nearly as much as others and certainly not as disappointed as I am in how our OL ended up looking.
Here is my solution.  You cannot trade Cousins until 2020.  If you do it then you will save 30 mil in cap space.  But he has to agree to a trade which is problematic.
I would use the #18 pick on Daniel Jones QB from Duke.  Then, I would be super aggressive in the 2nd AND 3rd rounds moving up to get interior line help.
I think drafting a QB in the first round puts Cousins on notice and forces him to step up.  May even piss him off a bit and get him to agree to a trade.
Of course, Jones better be good or else I am fired!
i wasnt serious about trading cousins, he will be fine if they put a line in front of him,  but I do think that if Sloter isnt looking like starter material,  then its time to get a different future starting QB in the mix and no point in pissing around with a later round flyer,  identify your guy and go get him.

Quote: @greediron said:
LJ was hurt and that really limited his effectiveness.  Rhodes was disappointing as well, seemed to be hurt quite a bit.  I didn't expect that much from Remmers, so he was what he was.
But it was Cousins that sank the ship the last few weeks.  His inability to throw the ball until mid 2nd quarter was baffling.  He stared at the rush, held the ball and then thought he was Russel Wilson and could scramble around and make plays.  He killed the offense in the beginning of the games, left the D on the field too long and then just as inexplicably, he started playing like he should and the offense was able to move the ball.  But it was too late, our D was gassed, the other team had the momentum, the margin for error was too small and the opposing D was smelling blood.
I know he was often under siege, but he also couldn't seem to see the wide open receiver and many times threw to the wrong (covered) receiver. He also had a few times where he could have run for the first on third down but elected to throw a long, low probability pass instead. Perhaps I'm nit picking but it's something I noticed that doesn't get mentioned much. His decision making is questionable at times.
He also kills a lot of plays without much success.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@VikingOracle said:

Good thing you're not the GM of the Colts, lol. Rookie LG, Rookie RT, a bust from Seattle signed in the offseason to play RG. They're not going to be any good this, right? Wink

Can I just choose a body part...? It’s the hamstring, this team was hamstrung all year!  Wink 

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@VikingOracle said:

Good thing you're not the GM of the Colts, lol. Rookie LG, Rookie RT, a bust from Seattle signed in the offseason to play RG. They're not going to be any good this, right? Wink
i am not saying those guys cant make a contribution in year 1,  i am saying that i am not willing to waste another year of an 84 million dollar FA QB contract on maybes.  this OL needs more than just a couple new faces and if the rookies out play the veterans than so be it,  but barely covering the essentials and filling in with rookies or cheap FAs isnt cutting it.  get it fixed before the draft and hope to improve it from there.  you draft 2 guys to fill 2 glaring holes in the middle of the most important unit on your team and think that is a good approach to the problem?  I may not make a good GM,  but I am not convinced that simply drafting for need and hoping it fixed the problem is a sound course to plot either.

I would be looking at a likely day 1 starter at OG in the draft,(position flexibility be damned)  and I would be looking for OT talent that can kick inside to OG while he gets experience at OT if needed.  I would resign Easton (who has shown position flexibility as well as a good repoire with Reiff and Elf last year)  and look for a veteran that can start day 1 as well in case either my rookie or Easton arent able to go.  I want 3 starting OG on the roster going into camp with at least 2 more quality reserves penciled in...possibly Collins and Lang, with the other Rookie.  I am not seeing any point in keeping Isidora and Jones around nor Remmers and Compton.... in fairness to Compton,  he was likley going to be the 3rd string OG behind Easton and Collins before injuries pushed him up the depth chart.