Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diggs "It's the same S*** every week."
Quote: @FSUVike said:
Great Defenses are helping the Bears & Ravens WIN games. The Vikings Defense is keeping them IN games. As a Roster Construction enthusiast that's not good enough for me when I look at how much resources have been invested in one side of the ball vs. the other.

You all feel differently and are giving the Defense a pass. Fine. I'm not. And my biggest pet peeve remains teams running the ball straight up the gut.

Seriously, I hate getting run on up the middle like Sauron hates hobbits. Like Sheer Khan hates fire. Like Eleven hates men in lab coats. Like Thanos hates 50% of life.

And when you contrast that with Minnesota's inability to run in between the Tackles it becomes that much more frustrating.
I don't have anything for "straight up the gut", I'm sure there's something out there, but I'm not looking it up.  Here's rushing on 1st down though.

[Image: DtlQuiaXcAUEAHC.jpg:large]

Look, fan "perception" is just not reality.  Everything can't be viewed in a vacuum.  

I think by the end I could be looking for one of these.
This season ranks a 9 for weird $h!t going on. [Image: 13lfsyy803j2.jpg]A season to forget.
Flashy thing it all away... please.

I know its frustrating to see the way our often historically vaunted  run defense has been getting gashed lately,  but its bound to happen,  with the league putting more emphasis on the passing game, with rules created to support the O and hinder the D,  teams are forced to put more defensive assets on the field to counter the passing game,  which then results in better opportunities to pick up yards with the run.  I am sure Zimmer could put a scheme together to kill teams on first down runs and to really take away a teams ability to run at all, but then that would expose the passing game to more deep threats which lead to more scoring for the inept O to over come.  yes they are getting run on,  but so is the rest of the league,  it the way the game is going today.

Don't get me wrong. I'm actually very much still into the season. I'm more commenting on the weirdness of it all. Started with letting all the QB's go before we sign one. That was a nervous week. I know every expert said it was a done deal. I know better then that. Or thought so. Nervous to high.  A coach unexpectedly dies. Back to low. Then in season. The defensive captain has a mental breakdown. Getting beat at home by a 17 point underdog. A tie game. Missing 2 OT field goals that should have beaten the hated Packers. Now firing a coordinator mid season.  We've had alot of stuff going on for one year. Made all the harder by the how last year ended.  We had a Super Bowl game hosted by my birthplace. I couldn't even watch it. I didn't care if it was the undeserving awful Eagles fans or the entitlement Patriots.  I usaully find one team to root for or against. That didn't work this year. 1st SB I didn't watch in memory. It's been an unusual year for  a fan that's used being snake bit. 

Quote: @silverjoel said:
@FSUVike said:
Great Defenses are helping the Bears & Ravens WIN games. The Vikings Defense is keeping them IN games. As a Roster Construction enthusiast that's not good enough for me when I look at how much resources have been invested in one side of the ball vs. the other.

You all feel differently and are giving the Defense a pass. Fine. I'm not. And my biggest pet peeve remains teams running the ball straight up the gut.

Seriously, I hate getting run on up the middle like Sauron hates hobbits. Like Sheer Khan hates fire. Like Eleven hates men in lab coats. Like Thanos hates 50% of life.

And when you contrast that with Minnesota's inability to run in between the Tackles it becomes that much more frustrating.
I don't have anything for "straight up the gut", I'm sure there's something out there, but I'm not looking it up.  Here's rushing on 1st down though.

Look, fan "perception" is just not reality.  Everything can't be viewed in a vacuum.  
Do they one off these for 2nd down?

For what it's worth, the Seahags had a 3.5 minute advantage in time of possession.  That- by itself- doesn't feel like a "dagger" to our team.  I was wondering if Seattle's proficiency in the run game equaled a more lop-sided time-of-possession.  Not really.
I will say this though: Seattle screwed up big time by passing on 2nd down.  Any pass on 2nd down was a waste.  They could've gotten first downs all game long, just by running the ball twice in a row.  When they decided to pass on 2nd and 5... and then again on 3rd and 5... it was a gift to our defense.  If I were a Seahag fan, I'd be ticked off that they didn't run the ball more.

Quote: @pumpf said:
For what it's worth, the Seahags had a 3.5 minute advantage in time of possession.  That- by itself- doesn't feel like a "dagger" to our team.  I was wondering if Seattle's proficiency in the run game equaled a more lop-sided time-of-possession.  Not really.
I will say this though: Seattle screwed up big time by passing on 2nd down.  Any pass on 2nd down was a waste.  They could've gotten first downs all game long, just by running the ball twice in a row.  When they decided to pass on 2nd and 5... and then again on 3rd and 5... it was a gift to our defense.  If I were a Seahag fan, I'd be ticked off that they didn't run the ball more.
I looked at the run average.  Taking away wilson's big scramble, they only averaged 4.0 a carry, same as Cooks had.

Quote: @holmanjp said:
@silverjoel said:
@FSUVike said:

Do they one off these for 2nd down?
I don't think so.  It's NFL Matchup on twitter, if you want to check it, they put a lot of various offense/defense/players stats in this format.

Quote: @greediron said:
@pumpf said:
I looked at the run average.  Taking away wilson's big scramble, they only averaged 4.0 a carry, same as Cooks had.
What was it in the first half?  THAT'S when they were gashing us.  Whatever the Vikings did at halftime, it worked.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
Don't get me wrong. I'm actually very much still into the season. I'm more commenting on the weirdness of it all. Started with letting all the QB's go before we sign one. That was a nervous week. I know every expert said it was a done deal. I know better then that. Or thought so. Nervous to high.  A coach unexpectedly dies. Back to low. Then in season. The defensive captain has a mental breakdown. Getting beat at home by a 17 point underdog. A tie game. Missing 2 OT field goals that should have beaten the hated Packers. Now firing a coordinator mid season.  We've had alot of stuff going on for one year. Made all the harder by the how last year ended.  We had a Super Bowl game hosted by my birthplace. I couldn't even watch it. I didn't care if it was the undeserving awful Eagles fans or the entitlement Patriots.  I usaully find one team to root for or against. That didn't work this year. 1st SB I didn't watch in memory. It's been an unusual year for  a fan that's used being snake bit. 
That is our Vikings though it seems. It is always something. I don't know if there is such a thing as a normal year with this franchise. Well at least we're not the Browns. :/