Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Rick and Zim's Seats Getting Warm?
They both should be scrutinized for sure.  Has Zimmer ever won a big game?  I guess Saints but it took a miracle to get it done.  I'm thinking the game may have passed him by.

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
I'm thinking the game may have passed him by.
I think they brought in Flip to avoid just that...

Zimmer and Cousin's seasons are being done in by an OL that sucks, a one dimensional offense and rule changes that took the one advantage they had (defense) and neutered it. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:
@medaille said:
@Jor-El said:
I think the shelf life of NFL coaches with a team is shorter these days and Zimmer might be passing his window here. They used to get 3, even 4 years of patience through losing records to "build their team" and then a couple more years to make the playoffs, another year to win a playoff game, then contend... But now owners see coaches like Dan Quinn, Sean McVay, Anthony Lynn, and maybe Matt Nagy come in and field contenders within 2 years. Zimmer did win in his 2nd season, but he has been in a bad-year/good-year/bad/good/bad pattern and if the narrative is now, "need another season or so to bring the offense up to the same level as the defense", that's really frustrating.
But I don't think anyone is getting fired after this season (unless they totally collapse). Spielman can spin the idea that Cousins needed a year to get comfortable here and that now he really, honestly, I-swear-Mr-Wilf, GETS the notion that he needs to build up the OL through FA and the draft. If the Vikings are mediocre again in 2019 - especially if Cousins looks like a mistake - I think Spielman will be done. Most likely Zimmer with him because new GMs want their own coach...though Zimmer could get treated like John Fox, with a new GM that ignores him, drafts for the following year, lets Zimmer take the blame for a bad season that earns a high draft pick, and THEN fire Zimmer.
Just for reference.  A bad Zimmer year is just NFL medicore at 7-9 or 8-8.  It's not like the Frazier era where bad meant 3-13 or 5-10-1.

Totally true and it makes me hesitant to change. We were unhappy with Denny Green "only" making the playoffs 8 of his 10 seasons, and went into a 13-year abyss. But...

LOL... we are such a spoiled bunch.

No: spoiled means getting what you want almost always. Patriots fans are spoiled.
Vikings fans are teased: getting close to, but NEVER receiving, a championship.
in the grand scheme... we are pretty spoiled,  there are a lot of franchises fans that would love to have our team and its history...maybe not the ultimate fails,  but we have been treated to some pretty dam good teams over the history of the franchise.
Spoiled? LOL, no.....not even close. But if you think so, more power to you. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:
@medaille said:
@Jor-El said:
I think the shelf life of NFL coaches with a team is shorter these days and Zimmer might be passing his window here. They used to get 3, even 4 years of patience through losing records to "build their team" and then a couple more years to make the playoffs, another year to win a playoff game, then contend... But now owners see coaches like Dan Quinn, Sean McVay, Anthony Lynn, and maybe Matt Nagy come in and field contenders within 2 years. Zimmer did win in his 2nd season, but he has been in a bad-year/good-year/bad/good/bad pattern and if the narrative is now, "need another season or so to bring the offense up to the same level as the defense", that's really frustrating.
But I don't think anyone is getting fired after this season (unless they totally collapse). Spielman can spin the idea that Cousins needed a year to get comfortable here and that now he really, honestly, I-swear-Mr-Wilf, GETS the notion that he needs to build up the OL through FA and the draft. If the Vikings are mediocre again in 2019 - especially if Cousins looks like a mistake - I think Spielman will be done. Most likely Zimmer with him because new GMs want their own coach...though Zimmer could get treated like John Fox, with a new GM that ignores him, drafts for the following year, lets Zimmer take the blame for a bad season that earns a high draft pick, and THEN fire Zimmer.
Just for reference.  A bad Zimmer year is just NFL medicore at 7-9 or 8-8.  It's not like the Frazier era where bad meant 3-13 or 5-10-1.

Totally true and it makes me hesitant to change. We were unhappy with Denny Green "only" making the playoffs 8 of his 10 seasons, and went into a 13-year abyss. But...

No: spoiled means getting what you want almost always. Patriots fans are spoiled.
in the grand scheme... we are pretty spoiled,  there are a lot of franchises fans that would love to have our team and its history...maybe not the ultimate fails,  but we have been treated to some pretty dam good teams over the history of the franchise.
Maybe you would prefer to be a fan of the lions, browns , bills, or any of the other franchises that rarely contend  and are even less frequent making the playoffs?

Having been a fan since 1969 and seeing all 4 Super Bowl losses my perspective is probably different than most.
I have very little patience left and I do NOT trust any process.

The Minnesota Vikings do not have a Super Bowl win.
Until they do then ....
EVERYONE SHOULD BE ON THE HOT SEAT!
...  these dudes get paid very very well to do their jobs and along with those big paychecks come big expectations.
You got 13-3 the year before and get to the NFCCG and then improve your defensive tackle and QB situation plus get back your young RB who looked very good in his first few games, then yeah, expectations are SKY HIGH!
For me there is only one goal.
If they do not get there then all things are on the table.

@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:
@medaille said:
@Jor-El said:

Maybe you would prefer to be a fan of the lions, browns , bills, or any of the other franchises that rarely contend  and are even less frequent making the playoffs?
That list of teams is getting smaller all the time.  So we should be happy we’re better than the lowest 10% of the league and spoiled if we are not?

Ah, yes, the 2 playoff wins since 2006 have been splendiferous. What a fool I've been to minimize those few hours of satisfaction and instead focus on the remaining 12 YEARS of continued mediocrity.

I feel ashamed that I am unhappy with those results.....what a spoiled person I am. 

I humbly apologize to TRUE fans like Sir James from the intellectual center of the universe, South Dakota. 

Please, oh wise one, instruct us lowly folk as to the PROPER way to achieve Purple Nirvana. 

We await your words of wisdom (after you finish diddling the sheep, of course).

Bless you!!

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:
@medaille said:
@Jor-El said:

That list of teams is getting smaller all the time.  So we should be happy we’re better than the lowest 10% of the league and spoiled if we are not?
Only one team wins it all each year, and that is as often about luck as skill. I am not talking about superbowls,  I am talking about having a competitve team more years than not.  Sure everybody says they would die happy if they won just one lombardi,  but would they really want to endure 20 years of no playoffs and  abysmal teams or other such shit  to get it?  More often  that  not our team has been entertaining and that is really what we are in it for as fans is it not?

If this team makes you feel like shit then that's your problem,  looking back over the last 40 years I have more good memories than bad (although the bad were pretty bad)  I think I am pretty happy to be a Vikings fan vs those of many other franchises.

Quote: @njvike said:
Ah, yes, the 2 playoff wins since 2006 have been splendiferous. What a fool I've been to minimize those few hours of satisfaction and instead focus on the remaining 12 YEARS of continued mediocrity.

I feel ashamed that I am unhappy with those results.....what a spoiled person I am. 

I humbly apologize to TRUE fans like Sir James from the intellectual center of the universe, South Dakota. 

Please, oh wise one, instruct us lowly folk as to the PROPER way to achieve Purple Nirvana. 

We await your words of wisdom (after you finish diddling the sheep, of course).

Bless you!!
You could start by quit being such a dick and pulling your head out of your ass...feeling blessed yet you asshole?

Seriously,  your troll bit is beyond old you cock sucking piece of shit.  You want to piss people off and push buttons to get a response to give your life a sense of accomplishment well congrats,  I have responded to your trolling,   I guess you can call today a win.

You see yourself as lowly folk...that's because you act like a piece of dog shit on here and that's how you get treated as a result.

You get off on belittling those that disagree with you  at a Jr high level and you want to talk about intellect?  You might want to rethink that strategy there Einstein .

And what is your facination with sheep?  You seem to like to bring up sheep quite a bit.  Perhaps there is a reason that they are fresh on your mind and why you are so angry.

Fuck off

Anyone who wants Zim gone are over reacting IMO.   Continuity is critical.  It's not like this team hasn't won the North 2 of the last 3 years or anything right?    Zim has had to deal with a ton of crazy stuff each year - and it seems like right before the year starts.   He has handled it well and kept the team focused and in most games.

They may make the playoffs this year still too.

If they do that will mean playoffs in 3 of the last 4 years and people want to clean house.  Laughable.