Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings trade for OL help
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
maybe i am jaded,  maybe the giants did us a solid,  (although I am not sure why after we blocked them from Stefanski)  but I am not convinced Jones is a player ready to start for the Vikes.  I understand the Giants needing cap relief,  but given the OL woes around the league,  how are we able to get a "starter" for only a 7th round draft pick?  seems to good to be true.
We got a starting caliber player in George Iloka for the league minimum and no trade compensation, so it happens. Teams are always mindful of the salary cap, they have to be. And sometimes decent players become selectively available. I don't think anyone is saying that Jones is a world beater, but he definitely should provide value to the Vikings in his guard-center versatility and he started 13 games just last year. Shurmur liked the kid and did him a big solid by placing him in a good organization. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
maybe i am jaded,  maybe the giants did us a solid,  (although I am not sure why after we blocked them from Stefanski)  but I am not convinced Jones is a player ready to start for the Vikes.  I understand the Giants needing cap relief,  but given the OL woes around the league,  how are we able to get a "starter" for only a 7th round draft pick?  seems to good to be true.
We got a starting caliber player in George Iloka for the league minimum and no trade compensation, so it happens. Teams are always mindful of the salary cap, they have to be. And sometimes decent players become selectively available. I don't think anyone is saying that Jones is a world beater, but he definitely should provide value to the Vikings in his guard-center versatility and he started 13 games just last year. Shurmur liked the kid and did him a big solid by placing him in a good organization. 
Iloka chose to play for less to rejoin Zimmer,  I am not saying good deals dont come along.  Just that I am not sure why a team like the giants would sell so cheap when there are other teams around the league that likely would have paid more.. or maybe not.   I just dont know that he will be better than Edison or Isidora as some suggest.  I am not saying he wont improve the depth of the roster,  I just question those that pencil him into the starting 5.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Also, from what I read, Jones reportedly is better suited to move/ZBS blocking, which the Giants employed last year (as we do), but they are shifting to a power blocking system. 

@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Iloka chose to play for less to rejoin Zimmer,  I am not saying good deals dont come along.  Just that I am not sure why a team like the giants would sell so cheap when there are other teams around the league that likely would have paid more.. or maybe not.   I just dont know that he will be better than Edison or Isidora as some suggest.  I am not saying he wont improve the depth of the roster,  I just question those that pencil him into the starting 5.
the grass is always greener on the other side. we got a new guy so he must be better then what we had. i guess what can be said we do need guys and we got one who has actually started. 

I think salary impacts trade value more than most people think. Remember, the Texans sent a 2nd round pick to the Browns just to get Brock Osweiler's salary off their books. Sounds like the Giants were down to their last dollar. Moving Jones gives them a lot more flexibility to move on players they might like when rosters are cut down. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I think salary impacts trade value more than most people think. Remember, the Texans sent a 2nd round pick to the Browns just to get Brock Osweiler's salary off their books. Sounds like the Giants were down to their last dollar. Moving Jones gives them a lot more flexibility to move on players they might like when rosters are cut down. 
And to extend Odell Beckham...  ;-)

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
You’re right MB, it’s still pre season and the Giants can’t go in to the regular season that tight to the cap. Injuries are going to happen during the season, and you never know who might get cut before the season that they may want/need to pick up.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Also, from what I read, Jones reportedly is better suited to move/ZBS blocking, which the Giants employed last year (as we do), but they are shifting to a power blocking system.  Interesting that the Vikings went to a zone-blocking scheme under Shurmur but now Shurmur is taking the Giants to a man scheme

@"Jor-El" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Also, from what I read, Jones reportedly is better suited to move/ZBS blocking, which the Giants employed last year (as we do), but they are shifting to a power blocking system.  Interesting that the Vikings went to a zone-blocking scheme under Shurmur but now Shurmur is taking the Giants to a man scheme
Wow...that's a little strange, especially when you consider all the hype about Saquan Barkley being such a great zone runner and a "perfect" fit for the Giants because of that. Maybe it's because of Will Hernandez...