Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Opposing OpEd's: Anthony Barr vs Stefon Diggs extensions
This is really tough...My fear is we sign Diggs to something around 5 years and 65-68 million, and he continues to only be available at full strength for 10-12 games per year...but you don't sign Cousins to that deal and then hamstring him...if Treadwell somehow goes off and becomes a legit starter we've at least got an option to let him walk...right now, I just don't think we can let him leave...

Barr is part of a very thin LB group...to date his talent has exceeded his production...a lot of what he does doesn't show up in the box score...the timing of him getting reps with the DL seems odd...Maybe Zim is planning a deeper rotation on the DL and he's our best option to spell Griff and Hunter...his value on the open market is going to exceed his worth or what we are willing to pay him...but there is nothing proven behind at all...right now, I just don't think we can let him leave either...

I'm hoping we can sign one of them to a similar value deal that we gave Hunter...something in the top ten but palatable to the player and tag the other...of course this all gets blown to hell if Richardson goes off...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
F ckkkkkk that....I dont want to lose Diggs or Barr. And what the hell will happen if Richardson blows-up?

Ok, I am going to get mindful and re-focus on just this season in a vacuum lol!
If Richardson blows up....he's gone after this season,  unless he really takes a shine to minny.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
This is really tough...My fear is we sign Diggs to something around 5 years and 65-68 million, and he continues to only be available at full strength for 10-12 games per year...but you don't sign Cousins to that deal and then hamstring him...if Treadwell somehow goes off and becomes a legit starter we've at least got an option to let him walk...right now, I just don't think we can let him leave...

Barr is part of a very thin LB group...to date his talent has exceeded his production...a lot of what he does doesn't show up in the box score...the timing of him getting reps with the DL seems odd...Maybe Zim is planning a deeper rotation on the DL and he's our best option to spell Griff and Hunter...his value on the open market is going to exceed his worth or what we are willing to pay him...but there is nothing proven behind at all...right now, I just don't think we can let him leave either...

I'm hoping we can sign one of them to a similar value deal that we gave Hunter...something in the top ten but palatable to the player and tag the other...of course this all gets blown to hell if Richardson goes off...
Right?

We'd probably have to prioritize a 3t over LB if thats the case...

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
F ckkkkkk that....I dont want to lose Diggs or Barr. And what the hell will happen if Richardson blows-up?

Ok, I am going to get mindful and re-focus on just this season in a vacuum lol!
If Richardson blows up....he's gone after this season,  unless he really takes a shine to minny.
And then as Geoff points out, there is the inevitable AT re-up too. Going to be some guys taking hair-cuts or shown the door to keep some elite, apex players. 

The Vikings have hopes that Richardson pans out and they'd love to sign-him long term.....Zimmer has said as much. For Z, Sheldon is the guy that really is vital in his D and he's never really had. 

So I don't know what happens with Barr/Diggs, but its obvious that Minnesota wants Richardson, too....if it works out.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
The Vikings have hopes that Richardson pans out and they'd love to sign-him long term.....Zimmer has said as much. For Z, Sheldon is the guy that really is vital in his D and he's never really had. 

So I don't know what happens with Barr/Diggs, but its obvious that Minnesota wants Richardson, too....if it works out.

Richardson has the potential to finally be the "Geno Atkins" of Zimmer's defense...  a dominant 3T that can really collapse the pocket and open up the double A gap blitzes.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings let Barr walk and re-sign Richardson if he has a great season.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@StickyBun said:

Richardson has the potential to finally be the "Geno Atkins" of Zimmer's defense...  a dominant 3T that can really collapse the pocket and open up the double A gap blitzes.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings let Barr walk and re-sign Richardson if he has a great season.
I wonder if that is part of the delay on both Diggs and Barr.  They both want top money and neither are really top of their game guys on a regular basis... they have that ability but they dont show it every game.  If Richardson is able to really open things up and create havoc himself it really lessens the need for Barr as you say,  but on the other side of the ball,  if Cousins continues to spread the wealth in terms of pass distribution,  that would also lessen Diggs impact for the offense.   Dont get me wrong,  it would be great to keep them,  but I think we need to pay great money to great players and both Barr and Diggs have the ability,   but to date they seem to be more of a  Good player in terms of contribution to the team.  (Poor, Weak, Average, Good, Great--scale)

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@StickyBun said:

SR may very well be the wild card in all of this... I said similar earlier in this thread - they may very well prioritize a dominant 3t over LB if they have to make a choice. The timing may be such though that they sign Barr now and worry about Richardson at another time, another season even. 

I'm a pig, gluttonous even - I want all 3 lol! 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@StickyBun said:

I wonder if that is part of the delay on both Diggs and Barr.  
That's what I've been thinking. If Sheldon has a great year--and with this supporting cast he really should--then he rockets to the top of the must-sign list. It would be silly to dismiss him as a one-year hired gun when the position he plays is so important to this defense...hell, to all defenses. At 27 years old, he could become the "face" of this defense for years to come. We were incredibly lucky to land a player of his caliber, and we should use to our advantage the fact that he can't talk contract with any team but us for several months. It might be very wise to wait on all three until we're through the bulk of our schedule. The development of Jaleel Johnson, Jalyn Holmes, Treadwell and Downs could also have a say in this decision. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@StickyBun said:

I wonder if that is part of the delay on both Diggs and Barr.  
That's what I've been thinking. If Sheldon has a great year--and with this supporting cast he really should--then he rockets to the top of the must-sign list. It would be silly to dismiss him as a one-year hired gun when the position he plays is so important to this defense...hell, to all defenses. At 27 years old, he could become the "face" of this defense for years to come. We were incredibly lucky to land a player of his caliber, and we should use to our advantage the fact that he can't talk contract with any team but us for several months. It might be very wise to wait on all three until we're through the bulk of our schedule. The development of Jaleel Johnson, Jalyn Holmes, Treadwell and Downs could also have a say in this decision. 
whats next years draft look like for athletic LBs?