Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon signing official
Getting him was one reason I wanted to keep Case.  Didn't think we could afford Richardson if we blew our wad on Cousins, and we really needed a 3 tech. 

Seattle was trying to resign him but must not have offered the 11 per, plus they are letting most of the veteran defenders walk so are in rebuild.

I think Richardson sees the top defense and a 1 year 11 mill as a perfect opportunity to parlay into a bigger contract and it could be with us if he has a stellar year.  The guy is 27 and two years younger then Joseph.

Everyone tries to project ahead of who we need to sign after this season like Barr, Waynes, Kendricks, Hunter and the amount of cap we will have but no one ever projects to a subpar year from any of the young players, a step back or maybe even an injury.  At the end of the day it is nice to have so many good players to resign then to not have enough.

Lastly, Richardson played in a 3-4 with the Jets and then was moved around the line in Seattle in the 4-3 and all reports were that he adjusted well in the 4-3 later in the season.  We know Zimmer "loves" guys that he can move around and play chess with and Richardson is a perfect young fit to the already #1 defense.  

Cousins - QB check
Richardson - DL check
Cook comes back close to 100% - run game check
Another good draft and a day 1 starting Guard - OL check

Quote: @HappyViking said:
Great news!  Wonder why only a one year deal?  If he has a big year, wouldn't he only cost more later?
Yeah, that's probably what he's thinking. After a good year in this great defense, he can write his own check. Vikings may also be excited about what they have in Jaleel Johnson. He may not be ready now, but could be next year. 

Look what putting a lot of money INTO a franchise can do.  Cousins and Richardson were probably two guys that would have chosen to go another direction had the team still been playing in the old Dome and practicing at Winter Park.  Okay, maybe not definitely, but over the years we've watched them chase a lot of players only to have them run screaming from their visits.  Tongue

I agree Clobimon...Do you guys think for one second that the Super Bowl being here showcasing the stadium (where Cousins just happened to be here and rented a car and drove around for six days prior, to get familiar with the community as soon as he knew he was out of DC), with that new stadium, with that new facility almost finished...and oh, he just stopped by PJ Fleck's office to say howdy for an hour...you remember Fleck...who spent some time building Central Michigan's football program just up the road from Michigan State...

Oh geez, now I'm rambling...I can't even make complete sentences.  Yeah, it's a woodie all right. Girls stand back...not sure how big this thing is gonna get.

I honestly thought we'd sign a FA O-lineman given Berger's situation, and some fairly big questions on our right side in general. Sets up for a pretty cut and dry draft in my estimation.
O-line
O-line
DB
RB
DE
LB

Quote: @CLOBIMON said:
Look what putting a lot of money INTO a franchise can do.  Cousins and Richardson were probably two guys that would have chosen to go another direction had the team still been playing in the old Dome and practicing at Winter Park.  Okay, maybe not definitely, but over the years we've watched them chase a lot of players only to have them run screaming from their visits.  Tongue
lol but great point

Rick Spielman said the top two priorities for the #Vikings this offseason were an offensive coordinator, a quarterback and a three-technique defensive tackle. He said all three boxes are now checked.

OL and CB focus from here on out.  Wouldn't rule out a CB in Rd 1 now if their top OL options are gone.