Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little context on Zimmer's QB comments
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I'm all in on whatever, I've said this from Day One, but if Zimmer isn't interested in trying to get a top QB because he's concerned about 'defensive talent' and how a QB would impact that salary cap-wise, the team will only ever be so good. It will be limited. Bridesmaids forever. 

Its a freakin' QBs league in the NFL. He can quote all the stats he wants, but the only stat that counts is a complete ass kicking in a NFC Championship game and a 1-2 record in the playoffs. Let's not be the Kansas City Chiefs.
I forget... did the team with the best QB win the Lombardi this year?  Or was it the better defense?

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
Zimmer can say that but his defense crapped the bed in the most important game of the season.  Is that because he played 4 DL over 66% of the snaps during the year.  Philly only had one guy play that many snaps and rotated 9.

Let’s say the Vikings sign Richardson to a 4 yr 44 mil deal and extend Barr, Kendricks, and Hunter,
Here is how the cap hits could look with some of the current actual cap hits included for the 10 players on defense …

Barr – 4 yr 44 mil

Kendricks – 4 yr 37 mil

Hunter – 5 yr 70 mil

Richardson – 4 yr 44 mil

Player : 2018 : 2019 : 2020 : 2021 : 2022

Everson Griffen : $11,600,000 : $11,900,000 : $13,900,000 : $14,400,000 : $15,500,000

Linval Joseph : $8,050,000 : $10,700,000 : $13,300,000 : $12,450,000 : $12,500,000

Anthony Barr : $10,100,000 : $10,100,000 : $12,100,000 : $12,100,000

Eric Kendricks : $4,100,000 : $10,100,000 : $11,100,000 : $12,100,000

Xavier Rhodes : $13,400,000 : $13,400,000 : $12,900,000 : $14,150,000 : $13,850,000

Harrison Smith : $10,000,000 : $10,750,000 : $10,750,000 : $10,250,000

Trae Waynes : $4,118,663 : $9,000,000

Danielle Hunter : $6,100,000 : $14,100,000 : $15,100,000 : $17,100,000 : $18,100,000

Andrew Sendejo : $3,500,000 : $5,500,000

Sheldon Richardson : $5,100,000 : $11,100,000 : $14,100,000 : $14,100,000

Total : $76,068,663 : $106,650,000 : $103,250,000 : $106,650,000 : $59,950,000

This is without adding in Waynes extension.
You are looking at over 100 mil for the top 10 players on defense in 2019, 2020, & 2021.
Even if you just extend Tom Johnson (2 years 3 mil) and Stephen (2 years 2.5 mil) you still are pretty high for his defense.
It does not leave much for the offense.
Zimmer and Spielman is going to have to learn from Belichek and realize that sometimes you have to trade a good player that you just cannot afford.
Belichek did this with Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones.
Well the offense definitely didn't do the defense any favors during that game, but I agree Sheldon Richardson would be a nice addition to the defense.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I'm all in on whatever, I've said this from Day One, but if Zimmer isn't interested in trying to get a top QB because he's concerned about 'defensive talent' and how a QB would impact that salary cap-wise, the team will only ever be so good. It will be limited. Bridesmaids forever. 

Its a freakin' QBs league in the NFL. He can quote all the stats he wants, but the only stat that counts is a complete ass kicking in a NFC Championship game and a 1-2 record in the playoffs. Let's not be the Kansas City Chiefs.
I forget... did the team with the best QB win the Lombardi this year?  Or was it the better defense?

You mean that awesome Defense that gave up 33 points? Against virtually no Gronk looks in the first half? Virtually no Cooks at all?

The last two Super Bowl winners have had to eclipse 30 points to win.

Rub routes. Bunch formations. RPO.  Tons of good RBs that can reverse cut and go. Maverick OCs that can scheme TEs onto small Slot CBs and RBs like Hunt, Kamara and Clements facing LBs.

And that doesn't even account for the proliferation of PF and PI calls against the Defense. Or how the young coaches are looking at analytics and making bolder calls on 4th, in the Redzone, etx.,

Defenses will adjust. They always have. But the last few years have proven that you need to score consistently to win. I don't think this is the time to plan on winning it all because you expect your Defense to hold really good teams under 21 points.

Yup.

IF Zimsu thinks he can win it all with this D and an average QB? Then I want what he's been toking on...He's got an awful short memory too. January wasn't that long ago. This is not the Ravens or Bucs D's that won SB's with stifling defenses and average to mediocre offenses. 

The whole thing smells old school to me. I hope its subterfuge. 

@"StickyBun" said:

41 to 33 and over 1100 yards of offense.

Not sure we saw that much defense this past SB...But yah, the team that scored the most won.  :p

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

You mean that awesome Defense that gave up 33 points? Against virtually no Gronk looks in the first half? Virtually no Cooks at all?

The last two Super Bowl winners have had to eclipse 30 points to win.

Rub routes. Bunch formations. RPO.  Tons of good RBs that can reverse cut and go. Maverick OCs that can scheme TEs onto small Slot CBs and RBs like Hunt, Kamara and Clements facing LBs.

And that doesn't even account for the proliferation of PF and PI calls against the Defense. Or how the young coaches are looking at analytics and making bolder calls on 4th, in the Redzone, etx.,

Defenses will adjust. They always have. But the last few years have proven that you need to score consistently to win. I don't think this is the time to plan on winning it all because you expect your Defense to hold really good teams under 21 points.
Point remains,   an average QB won, not the world beater.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Not sure we saw that much defense this past SB...But yah, the team that scored the most won.  :p
Ultimately it wasn't the better QB,  it was the team with the better D that best the best QB in the league.  Its going to take a great D to beat teams with great QBs.

@"purplefaithful" said:

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Ultimately it wasn't the better QB,  it was the team with the better D that best the best QB in the league.  Its going to take a great D to beat teams with great QBs.
The better QB wins 8 out of 10 times. If you want the anomaly, good for you. I want the Super Bowl. Zimmer is talking like a second place coach who can't grasp that an offense is the difference in the NFCC games.

I will proceed to tricking myself into believing that whoever we settled for can do the job (Viking fan mantra Copyright Kramerhammer)

We are officially the Chiefs of the NFC for the last 20 years.