Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bradford back at practice - moving around
Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
If the offensive line has problems maintaining a clean pocket, I'd rather have Case out there than Sam...
absolutely,  but you wont know that until you are into the game.   

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Jamie Demaree" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
I just can't see Zimmer playing anyone other than Case at this point.  Now Case has mentioned the offense needs to pick it up as they have struggled as of late.  But I will say this.  Two of those games, Elflein missed.  Our pass blocking suffered.  The other game was a frigid one at GB where the timing was off for everyone.  So as much as I worried about Case earlier this year, I am not worried now.

I certainly think switching to Bradford would be a desperation move and a bad idea.  I can't see him being game ready after basically not doing much for 4 months.  We are excited because he is "moving around" in practice.  That tells me he isn't going to be game ready, let alone playoff ready.  Case has this team behind him.  We win or lose with Case IMO.
Sam isnt auditioning for the #1 spot,  that is Cases to lose,  He is competing with Teddy for the #2.  However I expect that we are going to see Case put to the test in the next few weeks and if he falters it will be very difficult to not throw the #2 in there to try and save the day.
I dont really see it that way.  You are right Sam isnt auditioning for the #1, he is the #1.  For years and years in the NFL players dont lose their jobs to injury, unless they cant produce on the feild as well. Sam can produce and a healthy Sam is better than the current Case.  All that being said I think it would be really tough for Zimmer to pull Case now but think of this.  The Rams preparing for Keenum !!!  You know they would focus on stopping the run and making Case beat them with his arm.  Then come game day and Bradford is announced as the starter.  They have prepared all week for Keenum and have a run stopping package in place, or they prepared for both which still splits time for them.  Meanwhile the Vikings have had 2 weeks to get Sam ready.  I wouldnt want to be in Zimmers shoes.  That is why he is the coach and we sit behind a keyboard and second guess. 
the dont lose your job thing kind of has a statute of limitations wouldnt you think?  how long does Sam have to claim the #1 status?  I would say 4-6 weeks and the job is up for grabs.   if the replacement has proven to be very effective as Case has,  its impossible to make a change now.
Statute of limitations is 11 wins.....

I'm not confident Sam would have pulled that off.  He throws a nice ball but with so many of Cases plays being made while moving Sam like would have been sacked or checked down.  I like Case over Sam for the simple gritty gamer style he has.

As it is I would have Case #1 but without seeing practices I don't know if Teddy or Sam should be #2-if you consider the future it may be Teddy and the coaches have been watching Teddy for several weeks and his whole career prior so I'll lean that way for now.

We can all second guess but the coaches job is about one thing,  WINNING.

It doesnt matter who deserves it.  The only thing that matters is who Zimmer believes will win the game.  It will be interesting to see how he sees things.
Right now it would seem tough to pull Case, because he is winning.  But if Zimmer believes that Bradford is ready to do better then I would expect him to start him.

Quote: @"Poiple" said:

It doesnt matter who deserves it.  The only thing that matters is who Zimmer believes will win the game.  It will be interesting to see how he sees things.
Right now it would seem tough to pull Case, because he is winning.  But if Zimmer believes that Bradford is ready to do better then I would expect him to start him.
I don't think it's that simple. There's little doubt in my mind that Zimmer believes that both Teddy and Sam are better QBs, but it would take balls of steel to start anyone over Case Keenum right now. Removing him without clear and conspicuous cause would result in a napalm-like firestorm of controversy if it backfired. And even Zimmer's balls aren't that big. NFL coaches are under far too much scrutiny to take such a risk. 

I kind of feel bad for Keenum...  I don't know if anyone watched his presser recently.  He fielded some questions about Bradford and what it's like to have him back, etc...  and there was even one implying if Keenum was hurt, did he think Bradford would be ready to play in the playoffs.  LOL
I hope he keeps using those questions about Teddy and Bradford as motivation...  keep that big chip on your shoulder Case!!!  Win us a Super Bowl and we'll give you a statue outside of U.S. Bank Stadium!!!
BOOM

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
I kind of feel bad for Keenum...  I don't know if anyone watched his presser recently.  He fielded some questions about Bradford and what it's like to have him back, etc...  and there was even one implying if Keenum was hurt, did he think Bradford would be ready to play in the playoffs.  LOL
I hope he keeps using those questions about Teddy and Bradford as motivation...  keep that big chip on your shoulder Case!!!  Win us a Super Bowl and we'll give you a statue outside of U.S. Bank Stadium!!!
BOOM
thats wonderful,  the media once again trying to create a story instead of reporting on one.  fucking assholes.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
BOOM
nice, ask your starting QB about getting injured and who would replace him.  Stupid, stupid.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Poiple" said:

I don't think it's that simple. There's little doubt in my mind that Zimmer believes that both Teddy and Sam are better QBs, but it would take balls of steel to start anyone over Case Keenum right now. Removing him without clear and conspicuous cause would result in a napalm-like firestorm of controversy if it backfired. And even Zimmer's balls aren't that big. NFL coaches are under far too much scrutiny to take such a risk. 
Hi Maroon,
I hear what you’re saying and dont disagree.  But looking at all of the coaches who get fired and they know its about winning.  
Perhaps Sam or Teddy are generally the better QBs but right now, on this team, with this line, Sam is playing lights out.  #2 QBR in the league?  Who in their right mind would go away from that?
This season I have been reminded that being a QB is more than a great arm.  Heck Jeff George would have been a king if it wasn’t.  It seems Case’s medicore arm paired with great mobility actually makes him the better QB for this situation.  
Perhaps he is helping make this line look pretty good with his sense of knowing how and when to move around in the pocket and when to bolt.  I dont know how he senses it but the greatest ones like Montana and Tarkenton had it also.  This same line with Bradford behind it might not look nearly as good.
Now if we took his senses, Bradford’s arm and Teddy’s athleticism.....

I dont know about balls of steel, but i dont really disagree. Keenum is the guy.

But, there'll be some level of scrutiny and "what ifs" after the fact. This "is what it is" thing with Keenum will be reevaluated and questioned in a hurry if we struggle and lose. Bradford, Bridgewater... hindsight will be a double dose. 

... but i guess im splitting hairs on some kind of a mid game plan B vs. outright naming a new starter... because yea, I think that would be pretty ballsy.

I guess I dont think Keenum would prepare any differently if he wasn't the starter beyond reps in practice and I dont see why he cant play well off the bench again. I think he'd be a pro's pro about any situation this close to a title. I cant imagine a controversy internally in the event a switch was made in practice leading up to the game.  ... but, I wouldnt do it. 

Case has made his case. He can play some great quarterback and he extends drives with grit. Im excited to see what he can do next week; his game with some extra playoff fire could be a lot fun to watch.