Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One QB in the Hand is Worth Two In the Bush
Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
I won't be surprised to see Case being the only Viking QB getting shiny new contract for the team next year.  With home field advantage at stake, I seriously doubt Teddy sees any meaningful play time this season, if Case stays healthy.

What if Sam proves he's 100% healthy come playoff time?  I think the team would still stick with Case.  He's playing that well, and is way more mobile than Sam.

If the Vikes really wanted a QB battle, then they'd have to sign them to new contracts.  Would they even consider doing that?  I think there's a good chance only one of the three gets a new deal from the Vikes, and the others walk.

The team knows what they have in Case, and are probably just as surprised as us fans that he just keeps improving.  What a strange year, and nobody expected to see Case be the hard earned #1 QB for the team. 

It took awhile for me to believe, and I do now.  He's the real deal, and it looks like the Vikes finally found their starting QB.
Wow, thats a big turn-around! 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"pumpf" said:
I *think* we need to treat Case as the starter... with the caveat that he could be beaten out by Teddy... and sign both of them.  Whoever doesn't win the starting job will become trade bait (at some point in the future).  Sloter is our "long-term" #2.
I wish that were possible. Who knows, maybe we can find a way to do it, but unless he turns back into a pumpkin--and that does not seem likely at this point--Keenum is now likely to command a starter's salary, as will Bridgewater. What a happy mess. I just hope to God we make the right decision. But I fear another '98, where we committed to our Cinderella, who quickly turned back into a pumpkin and traded our starter, who went on to win a Super Bowl. This team CANNOT make that mistake again. One thing that gives me hope is that I think we have smarter people in charge now. 

Edit: And, yes, I'm aware that Teddy, with his knee, could also be the pumpkin. 
Well, hind-sight is 20/20...But McCombs, Woods and Tim Connolly should have known better than that. Watching Cunnigham piss down his leg the second 1/2 of the NFCCG should have been a clear enough warning. 

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
@"NorthernCalVike" said:
I still want to see how Teddy would perform with this O-Line / Offensive scheme. I think he would be excellent. Going to be very interesting off season, wether we win the Super Bowl or not - BIG QB Decisions will be made.

I see either Teddy or Case being our starter next year, with the young guy we picked up, Sloter, as the back up IF he has been showing great promise.

How much money would that tie up in the QB position to sign them both?  Case is going to get a starting QB salary with the way he's playing, but Teddy may get that too.   I think the Vikes have to go with a proven QB, and I agree.  Teddy might be better, but maybe not.  If Case is playing well, and the team is winning, then who cares if Sam and Teddy leave?  We don't need two starting QBs.
I think it would have to be north of $30M ($15M each) and probably closer to $40M.  I just can't imagine either QB accepting less at this point.  I don't think either QB would get a $25M/year contract.  

I really think the only way to keep them both is if
something goes real wrong with Keenum this year to drop his value or we
successfully toll Bridgewater’s contract.

I just don’t think we’ll be able to afford to keep both of
them if we have to give them their market value right now.
I agree with this...I would be very surprised if they found a way to keep Keenum and Bridgewater at this point. I keep getting back to what Barr said a Keenum contract would look like - very similar to Glennon:

The Chicago Bears' commitment to new quarterback Mike Glennon is basically limited to just 2017.The official numbers of Glennon’s free agent deal with Chicago reveals that the contract contains $18.5 million in guaranteed money.
But the bulk of that guarantee is paid in year one. Glennon will earn $16 million guaranteed in 2017 in the form of base salary ($8 million), roster bonus ($5 million) and signing bonus ($3 million). Glennon’s cap number this year is $14 million.
The guaranteed moiney in Mike Glennon's contract is $16 million in his first year but drops to $2.5 million in 2018. Mark LoMoglio/Icon Sportswire
The rest of contract is as follows:
2018: Base salary ($12.5 million), roster bonus ($2.5 million fully guaranteed) and cap number ($16 million).
2019: Base salary ($12 million), roster bonus ($2 million due on 5/15/19) and cap number ($15 million).

Quote: @"TBro" said:
I think Case's success is scheme and coach specific. With all of the potential Head Coaching openings this offseason, we need to prepare ourselves that Shurmur will be gone. I think plenty of teams will look at his stint with Cleveland and give him a pass. He wasn't great, but had far more success than Hue Jackson and the other Scrubs they've had. His success with Keenum and what he's done with this offense after a full offseason of implementing his system will get him another HC gig in 2018. How does that change your thinking going into the offseason? I could easily see Case following Shurmur to his new Team to be his starting QB. If that happens, you need to draft a QB and sign Teddy. I'm also afraid that the Vikings emotional attachment to Teddy will also sway their decision in who they sign, and who they let walk. 

How is it that Case Keenum, the all-time major college passing leader in completions (1,546), yards (19,217) and touchdowns (155), was not selected in the 2012 NFL draft?
Apparently NFL scouts weren’t impressed, even with his final college game and Levine’s first as a head coach:
Levine was a receivers and special teams coach for Sumlin from 2008 to 2011, the bulk of Keenum’s career. He saw the amazing performances from Keenum, and also what happened to the Cougars in 2010 when Case tore an ACL in the third game of the season at UCLA.

Maybe that was it … the NFL teams thought Keenum was too old to draft at 23? Or his arm was tired from throwing 2,229 collegiate passes?

“I can remember vividly an NFL scout telling me, ‘If Case was 2 inches taller, he would be drafted in the first round,’ ” Levine said. “And the other thing you always heard was, ‘He’s a system quarterback.’
“They tried to come up with every reason they could to ignore the stats he had and the games he won. Whenever I talked to someone from the NFL, I would say, ‘Those stats and wins … they were not by accident.’ ”
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-quart...462330323/

I still question Case's arm strength,   as much success as he is having IMO a strong arm is key component at times for a long term successful QB.  I see the Vikes hand getting forced on this deal and this years squad having enough success to force Ricks hand and signing Case long term thusly losing Teddy and the whole thing going to shit next fall.  Teddys arm isnt super stong either,  but he has more zip than Case has shown and I think Teddy is young enough to still get stronger while I think Case is what Case will be.  I agree that Case will be serviceable in the right O,  but I doubt we are able to retain Shurmur unless we win the whole damn thing... and then only likely for 1 year.

#glasshalffull.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I still question Case's arm strength,   as much success as he is having IMO a strong arm is key component at times for a long term successful QB.  I see the Vikes hand getting forced on this deal and this years squad having enough success to force Ricks hand and signing Case long term thusly losing Teddy and the whole thing going to shit next fall.  Teddys arm isnt super stong either,  but he has more zip than Case has shown and I think Teddy is young enough to still get stronger while I think Case is what Case will be.  I agree that Case will be serviceable in the right O,  but I doubt we are able to retain Shurmur unless we win the whole damn thing... and then only likely for 1 year.

#glasshalffull.
Lol, love the hashtag...

Arm strength, cinderella, system qb, doesn't make second reads, gunslinger, OC dependent, too short, etc, etc, etc,

At some point we either put our faith in the guy or not. We believe that what we're seeing is extendable over time or not. We have the belief that more improvement is possible or not. 

That time isn't now, cause he's the clear starter this season. But unless something really crazy unfolds the next 8 weeks, the offseason @ QB is going to be a doozy - or maybe not. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"pumpf" said:
I *think* we need to treat Case as the starter... with the caveat that he could be beaten out by Teddy... and sign both of them.  Whoever doesn't win the starting job will become trade bait (at some point in the future).  Sloter is our "long-term" #2.
I wish that were possible. Who knows, maybe we can find a way to do it, but unless he turns back into a pumpkin--and that does not seem likely at this point--Keenum is now likely to command a starter's salary, as will Bridgewater. What a happy mess. I just hope to God we make the right decision. But I fear another '98, where we committed to our Cinderella, who quickly turned back into a pumpkin and traded our starter, who went on to win a Super Bowl. This team CANNOT make that mistake again. One thing that gives me hope is that I think we have smarter people in charge now. 

Well, hind-sight is 20/20...But McCombs, Woods and Tim Connolly should have known better than that. Watching Cunnigham piss down his leg the second 1/2 of the NFCCG should have been a clear enough warning. 
I could be wrong, but I think they extended him before all that happened.. I think it happened late in the year? I could probably Google it. But I do know when they extended him (basically spelling Brad Johnson's fate) I 'wove a tapestry of obscenity that is still hanging in space' over Denver, Colorado, to borrow a great piece of writing from Jean Shepherd :-)

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"pumpf" said:

I could be wrong, but I think they extended him before all that happened.. I think it happened late in the year? I could probably Google it. But I do know when they extended him (basically spelling Brad Johnson's fate) I 'wove a tapestry of obscenity that is still hanging in space' over Denver, Colorado, to borrow a great piece of writing from Jean Shepherd :-)
Your memory is better than mine...Good call:

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/12/25/sports...nsion.html

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:

#glasshalffull.
I wholly disagree that Teddy has shown a stronger arm than Case so far.  You might have a point regarding Teddy's age and the possibility his arm will get stronger, but that's an unknown, and from what I've seen, I would say Case throws the harder ball and I don't see any issue at all with his arm strength.

Teddy always had that bad tendency to throw off his back foot and/or drop his elbow and basically just flick the ball down the field.

Quote: @"SFVikingFan" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

#glasshalffull.
I wholly disagree that Teddy has shown a stronger arm than Case so far.  You might have a point regarding Teddy's age and the possibility his arm will get stronger, but that's an unknown, and from what I've seen, I would say Case throws the harder ball and I don't see any issue at all with his arm strength.

Teddy always had that bad tendency to throw off his back foot and/or drop his elbow and basically just flick the ball down the field.
No he hasn't always had that tendency. When given time he steps into his throws and delivers the ball with very good velocity.   It was only after he got the shot knocked out of him in norvs offense behind our shit oline did he get the yips and start dropping his elbow and not following through....a problem that he mostly corrected in the offseason before his injury.

Cases lack of arm strength becomes evident when he tries to throw out routes or down field when he isn't able to really step into his passes.  It's working for now,  bit it's still a concern of mine  going into the cold weather games and going forward.