Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
By now, you'd have to pry job away from Vikings' Case Keenum
Quote: @El_Padre said:
I'm going to start this out by saying that I'm going to ride the fence hard on this.  I love Teddy, but at the same time Case has done an awesome job this season.  The big question in my mind, is how much has AT and the other receivers made Case's game look better?  There are a lot of catches that probably would have been drops, or even int's, if it wasn't for AT or even Rudy bailing Case out.  There are also a few occasions where a better placed ball would have resulted in a much bigger gain or even a touchdown.  The biggest example of this is AT's "fake inside then run to sideline" route that he is money for.  If Adam doesn't need to stretch out for those he could turn it up field.

The other question is how does Teddy look in a non-run focused offense?  Take the AP handcuffs off and how much better (or worse?) does he look.  We know Teddy could ball, and honestly I think he still can.  Letting Teddy go will be a big mistake for us I think.  I really wish we would have signed Case to a multi year backup deal.  We are in a pretty bad spot right now after this season ends.
Shades of the 2015 Broncos... Peyton retired, Brock Osweiler left, and the Broncos were left with Seimian. In this instance, we have no QB on our roster for next season outside of Sloter (a former Bronco, no less). 

Quote: @holmanjp said:
@El_Padre said:
I'm going to start this out by saying that I'm going to ride the fence hard on this.  I love Teddy, but at the same time Case has done an awesome job this season.  The big question in my mind, is how much has AT and the other receivers made Case's game look better?  There are a lot of catches that probably would have been drops, or even int's, if it wasn't for AT or even Rudy bailing Case out.  There are also a few occasions where a better placed ball would have resulted in a much bigger gain or even a touchdown.  The biggest example of this is AT's "fake inside then run to sideline" route that he is money for.  If Adam doesn't need to stretch out for those he could turn it up field.

The other question is how does Teddy look in a non-run focused offense?  Take the AP handcuffs off and how much better (or worse?) does he look.  We know Teddy could ball, and honestly I think he still can.  Letting Teddy go will be a big mistake for us I think.  I really wish we would have signed Case to a multi year backup deal.  We are in a pretty bad spot right now after this season ends.
Would Ted even throw it to those guys? (in the exact same situation)

75%-85% of the time, I think he checks it down. Or gets sacked waiting for a wide open WR. (He would never attempt the same throws)
If it's Teddy pre-injury that might be the case. But you have to take into consideration his growth from the adversity. Also all the time in the meetings as well as the work he has put in. Would the players make Teddy look better or would he get credit? With this OL, I don't think he would feel the need to checkdown as much. He was aware of the areas that need work. I can't help but wonder where his progress is at.

Quote: @holmanjp said:
@El_Padre said:

75%-85% of the time, I think he checks it down. Or gets sacked waiting for a wide open WR. (He would never attempt the same throws)
We don't know, and that is one of the big questions that needs to be answered.  Before with AP and Norv he did what was asked, don't make mistakes, manage the game, and win 17-14.  On paper and in theory this offense fits him as well as Case and Teddy is a more accurate passer, to this point he has been less of a gambler.  Is that by nature or nurture?  You have to think Teddy looks really good in practice if Zimmer was so anxious to get him on the field.  Of course it is practice but there is no evidence in his history that says he is a practice warrior and bright lights flop.  Prior to this season Keenum had career numbers that make Ponder look good, Teddy's were far better based on to that point in their careers. Is Shurmer and this offense good enough to elevate Case that much?  Did we just luck out and find the next Rich Gannon that elevated his game and the team around him?  Would this offense elevate Teddy to the next level also?  All things being equal do you want a 25 year old or 30 year old QB of the future?  Are they confident enough in the trend with Case to give him a $100+ million contract?  Those are all big and important questions and the likelihood they get to punt until next year to answer them is very low even if Teddy is tolled. 

It's easy to just ignore that and enjoy the ride and we should but it also can't be ignored by the front office and coach, they don't have the same luxury us fans do so instead of sharpening the pitchforks for Zimmer fans could step back and understand what he and management are facing after this season.  Did anybody see Speilman on the sideline just after the game ended yesterday-he almost looked frustrated/disappointed rather than elated.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@El_Padre said:

No, a bad spot is going into next season with Ponder, Bollinger, Joe Webb, Tarvaris, McNabb,  Cassel or Shaun Hill as your QB Wink

well sloter isnt as accomplished as any on that list, cept Webb maybe.  I will enjoy the season though. its a great problem to have 3 good Qb’s ( when healthy) to choose from

Quote: @NodakViking said:
@holmanjp said:
@El_Padre said:

We don't know, and that is one of the big questions that needs to be answered.  Before with AP and Norv he did what was asked, don't make mistakes, manage the game, and win 17-14.  On paper and in theory this offense fits him as well as Case and Teddy is a more accurate passer, to this point he has been less of a gambler.  Is that by nature or nurture?  You have to think Teddy looks really good in practice if Zimmer was so anxious to get him on the field.  Of course it is practice but there is no evidence in his history that says he is a practice warrior and bright lights flop.  Prior to this season Keenum had career numbers that make Ponder look good, Teddy's were far better based on to that point in their careers. Is Shurmer and this offense good enough to elevate Case that much?  Did we just luck out and find the next Rich Gannon that elevated his game and the team around him?  Would this offense elevate Teddy to the next level also?  All things being equal do you want a 25 year old or 30 year old QB of the future?  Are they confident enough in the trend with Case to give him a $100+ million contract?  Those are all big and important questions and the likelihood they get to punt until next year to answer them is very low even if Teddy is tolled. 

It's easy to just ignore that and enjoy the ride and we should but it also can't be ignored by the front office and coach, they don't have the same luxury us fans do so instead of sharpening the pitchforks for Zimmer fans could step back and understand what he and management are facing after this season.  Did anybody see Speilman on the sideline just after the game ended yesterday-he almost looked frustrated/disappointed rather than elated.

I generally agree that have to see what they got in Bridgwater. Case may not allow that to happen is the growing reality.

Did I see RS? Yah and my take sure isn't what you are insinuating...To think he's disappointed and frustrated after getting the Lions off our backs, all but sewing-up the 2nd division title in 3 years, amassing a 9/2 record (or disappointed how we got there) is a tough one for me to buy into. I'd wager he's dancing a jig every night. 

Who was letting Teddy go---I see a discuss of the hot hand staying under center at this time nothing more.  What about Wr.s and a QB who've built trust and are in sync---let's blow it up cause our Qb is wanting to get back under center now that he's cleared medically.  I hope Teddy can come back from his injuries but believe in riding the hot hand until it becomes clear it needs to change or we're in a new season

Quote: @NodakViking said:
@holmanjp said:
@El_Padre said:

He was wishing he would have signed Case for longer than just this season.

It is far to ask/question what Ted would/could have done with this team this year.
Yes it sucks his leg got injured. Is Ted the next Sam? (injury prone) If it happened in a game
vs no contact I would feel better about a long term contract for TED.
Regardless I think they should do what ever it takes to sigh him to a prove it contract (Ted)

I wonder what Ted would/could have done in CK's shoes with Rams and Texans.
I think about the exact same as Case did.

Every team in the NFL that needs a QB, whether it's starter, competing starter, or a competent backup, will be after Keenum in the offseason. With all of this talk about dumb free agent signing vs. Keenum, we are going to be looking at going up against a 3 year, $20 million guarenteed minimum deal. Glennon's deal is worth $45 million. That's a LOT of money for a guy who may not even start. That's a lot of money to pay a guy who might not start, and it's a lot of weight on the books if Teddy takes the job and earns a new deal the following year...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@NodakViking said:
@holmanjp said:
@El_Padre said:

I generally agree that have to see what they got in Bridgwater. Case may not allow that to happen is the growing reality.

Did I see RS? Yah and my take sure isn't what you are insinuating...To think he's disappointed and frustrated after getting the Lions off our backs, all but sewing-up the 2nd division title in 3 years, amassing a 9/2 record (or disappointed how we got there) is a tough one for me to buy into. I'd wager he's dancing a jig every night. 
He isn't frustrated about the 9-2 record. I think he is frustrated about the challenge of making the right decision at quarterback. It's a very important decision and there are several possibilities to choose from.

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
Every team in the NFL that needs a QB, whether it's starter, competing starter, or a competent backup, will be after Keenum in the offseason. With all of this talk about dumb free agent signing vs. Keenum, we are going to be looking at going up against a 3 year, $20 million guarenteed minimum deal. Glennon's deal is worth $45 million. That's a LOT of money for a guy who may not even start. That's a lot of money to pay a guy who might not start, and it's a lot of weight on the books if Teddy takes the job and earns a new deal the following year...

I dont think Keenum is here if Teddy earns the job and a shiny new deal. Much as I'd like both of them competing for the starting job @ TC next year.