Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case Keenum has “a horseshoe right now” but how long will he have starting job?
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
The best (but rather unlikely) scenario would be to resign them both in the off season and let them fight it out for the starter job. However, on top of having to try to retain at least one of our QBs (meaning Bradford, Bridgewater or Keenum) we also have to hope we keep Shurmur around, or hope that we can find someone like him to utilize his schemes and keep the roll going. Can you imagine not only losing multiple QBs but also your OC in the offseason?? Start thinking about it because it could happen...
We lose Shurmur we start all over on offense, and to me that's a much worse thing than trying to make a decision on the long-term QB (and I'm not underestimating what a big decision we have at QB, either). We finally have the O-line of our best, prettiest dreams, a very balanced running game, and a pass attack like we haven't had since Favre. Anyone think possibly having start over AGAIN on O would be appealing next season??
so ... assuming Shurmur is gone ( I am ) do you resign Case and lose Teddy, or do you keep an unproven Teddy and lose Case?  we wont get them both,  I just dont see it happening.

That's the hot button question, isn't it?? Big Grin My answer, in all honesty, is you keep Teddy, and the reason that's my answer is because I think Zim would favor that in that particular scenario. I don't know that for a fact, just my gut instinct (which certainly has produced mixed results in my lifetime lol).

@"prairieghost" said:
The best (but rather unlikely) scenario would be to resign them both in the off season and let them fight it out for the starter job. However, on top of having to try to retain at least one of our QBs (meaning Bradford, Bridgewater or Keenum) we also have to hope we keep Shurmur around, or hope that we can find someone like him to utilize his schemes and keep the roll going. Can you imagine not only losing multiple QBs but also your OC in the offseason?? Start thinking about it because it could happen...
We lose Shurmur we start all over on offense, and to me that's a much worse thing than trying to make a decision on the long-term QB (and I'm not underestimating what a big decision we have at QB, either). We finally have the O-line of our best, prettiest dreams, a very balanced running game, and a pass attack like we haven't had since Favre. Anyone think possibly having start over AGAIN on O would be appealing next season??
so ... assuming Shurmur is gone ( I am ) do you resign Case and lose Teddy, or do you keep an unproven Teddy and lose Case?  we wont get them both,  I just dont see it happening.
That's why you have to get Teddy some playing time. One way or the other, he's got to get some snaps in this offense to see how he responds. If you don't, decisions in the offseason get real murky and complicated.  

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
That's why you have to get Teddy some playing time. One way or the other, he's got to get some snaps in this offense to see how he responds. If you don't, decisions in the offseason get real murky and complicated.  
I am not as concerned with him getting reps in this offense as I am pretty convinced that Shurmur will be gone if things continue to click.  I think Teddy would do awesome in this O as his ball placement is better when he can step into his throws than Case IMO and he reads the defenses better IMO.   I am on board with riding out Case as long as he is playing good enough to keep the team in the home field hunt,  but I honestly think that Teddy was turning a corner and the offense would be as good or better with him in there.  oh well the team is winning and I am happy for now.

I stick with Teddy because I think he is the better QB, both from a football smarts level, and from a talent level.  Case is living (and ultimately may die from) putting it up there and letting Theilen go get it,  but I have to think at some point it will cease to have a happy ending.  I havent seen Teddy throw much since his injury, but I think his arm is likely stronger than Cases as well so I like that aspect also.  Everything I have seen from Case I have seen from Teddy,  but I think Teddy will ultimately be the better QB and fit into other offenses better... but if the coaches and front office decide its Case... I am ok with that as well,  Case has earned a better contract and a chance to compete for a starting role off this year.

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
I am not as concerned with him getting reps in this offense as I am pretty convinced that Shurmur will be gone if things continue to click.  I think Teddy would do awesome in this O as his ball placement is better when he can step into his throws than Case IMO and he reads the defenses better IMO.   I am on board with riding out Case as long as he is playing good enough to keep the team in the home field hunt,  but I honestly think that Teddy was turning a corner and the offense would be as good or better with him in there.  oh well the team is winning and I am happy for now.

I stick with Teddy because I think he is the better QB, both from a football smarts level, and from a talent level.  Case is living (and ultimately may die from) putting it up there and letting Theilen go get it,  but I have to think at some point it will cease to have a happy ending.  I havent seen Teddy throw much since his injury, but I think his arm is likely stronger than Cases as well so I like that aspect also.  Everything I have seen from Case I have seen from Teddy,  but I think Teddy will ultimately be the better QB and fit into other offenses better... but if the coaches and front office decide its Case... I am ok with that as well,  Case has earned a better contract and a chance to compete for a starting role off this year.
Agree that Case has earned a better contract and a chance to compete for a starting role next season, whether that is with us or someone else, depends less on him, and more on Teddy Bridgewater. 

I'm fine letting Case start another game, and if he plays well, another one after that. If nothing else, it's great motivation for Keenum. But at some point in these games, we have to see Teddy, if only for a series or two. Because the longer the Teddy question goes unanswered, the more muddled our future becomes. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"prairieghost" said:

Agree that Case has earned a better contract and a chance to compete for a starting role next season, whether that is with us or someone else, depends less on him, and more on Teddy Bridgewater. 

I'm fine letting Case start another game, and if he plays well, another one after that. If nothing else, it's great motivation for Keenum. But at some point in these games, we have to see Teddy, if only for a series or two. Because the longer the Teddy question goes unanswered, the more muddled our future becomes. 
my concern is unless Teddy is given a full game plan and a whole game or two... what will we really learn?  if we are getting spanked and he goes in it will likely be with a very predictable pass heavy game plan and it wont really be a true test,  or if we are stomping somebody it will be run heavy to kill the clock,  again not really painting any picture worth basing a monster decision on.  this is really a tough spot to be in considering how good the problem is to have.

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"prairieghost" said:

my concern is unless Teddy is given a full game plan and a whole game or two... what will we really learn?  if we are getting spanked and he goes in it will likely be with a very predictable pass heavy game plan and it wont really be a true test,  or if we are stomping somebody it will be run heavy to kill the clock,  again not really painting any picture worth basing a monster decision on.  this is really a tough spot to be in considering how good the problem is to have.
Of course it's not ideal, but I think you can learn a lot from a few series actually. I could tell right away that Daunte Culpepper wasn't the same QB after his injury, for example. Is he seeing ghosts? Is he keeping his head up and sensing pressure instead of looking at it? Is he composed enough to go through progressions, evade the rush and keep his eyes downfield? Those are things that Teddy Bridgewater did  well before and I'm sure folks with more training than I will be able to determine pretty quickly if those qualities have been compromised by the devastating knee injury or the time away. 

How fair would it be to Bridgewater to ask him to come in after not playing a meaningful football game since Jan 2016 and not screw up the current trajectory? That's a lot of time that he hasn't led a team. And that's a lot of pressure to welcome him back under. If it doesn't work you have a whole locker room full of folks that are going to ask why you went away from a guy that basically saved your season at the QB position. I just don't think we will see Teddy again this year. 

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
How fair would it be to Bridgewater to ask him to come in after not playing a meaningful football game since Jan 2016 and not screw up the current trajectory? That's a lot of time that he hasn't led a team. And that's a lot of pressure to welcome him back under. If it doesn't work you have a whole locker room full of folks that are going to ask why you went away from a guy that basically saved your season at the QB position. I just don't think we will see Teddy again this year. 
Bridgewater is a NFL QB, if he can't hack it, so be it and go back to Keenum.  Again, if Zimmer feels Bridgewater is the best option, he should go with him.  Play the best talent.  To paraphrase Zimmer, good enough is the enemy of great.

Isn't a little insulting to the rest of the team to say that Keenum saved the season?  I would guess the defense feels like they're a part of the success of the team.

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
well not as long as Case keeps doing enough to win.  if the trajectory changes I dont think that the team would have any issues with Teddy getting his chance.

Quote: @"silverjoel" said:
@"Mike Olson" said:
How fair would it be to Bridgewater to ask him to come in after not playing a meaningful football game since Jan 2016 and not screw up the current trajectory? That's a lot of time that he hasn't led a team. And that's a lot of pressure to welcome him back under. If it doesn't work you have a whole locker room full of folks that are going to ask why you went away from a guy that basicallysaved your season at the QB position. I just don't think we will see Teddy again this year. 
Bridgewater is a NFL QB, if he can't hack it, so be it and go back to Keenum.  Again, if Zimmer feels Bridgewater is the best option, he should go with him.  Play the best talent.  To paraphrase Zimmer, good enough is the enemy of great.

Isn't a little insulting to the rest of the team to say that Keenum saved the season?  I would guess the defense feels like they're a part of the success of the team.
Maybe you should read my post a little closer...