Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We will lose in super bowl because of a kicker
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:
@mblack said:
At what point are we going to start talking about the Special teams coach Mike Preifer? It is starting to look like the issues we had at defensive back and wr where we always thought we did not have talent until the coaches were changed.
I am not saying Priefer is that bad, all I am asking is, has he reached his ceiling with this team?
The past couple years I have thought Priefer did a very good job, but it's fair to wonder. I believe he is the last of the coaches who is a holdover from the Leslie Frazier era: Zimmer kept Priefer,  Jeff Davidson (OL), and George Stewart (WR)...I thought those last two were rookie HC mistakes by Zimmer. Maybe Priefer as well? Coverage has been OK but Sherels doesn't get much in returns, blocking for kicks is obviously a problem, and you have to give Priefer some of the blame for settling for Forbath and not bringing in competition.
What are you talking about?  They had a great kicker battle at camp.  Hell I thought they might have kept the wrong one until the season started and Kai showed that he had strengthened his leg and was kicking higher and deep than last year.  Sherels isnt really getting much to return,  but teams arent really going to distance.. they are hanging them high and letting the coverage do its job.  It doesnt seem like the opposition is getting a high average on their punts.
He brought in another kicker but it seemed like token competition; my perspective on that might be wrong. I just expected a drafted kicker or better vet. I feel like our STs have been responsible for game-changing plays in past years, but not in 2017. It's a small gripe, and maybe they are due and will get some big plays in the next 6 (or 9...) games.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:
@mblack said:
At what point are we going to start talking about the Special teams coach Mike Preifer? It is starting to look like the issues we had at defensive back and wr where we always thought we did not have talent until the coaches were changed.
I am not saying Priefer is that bad, all I am asking is, has he reached his ceiling with this team?
The past couple years I have thought Priefer did a very good job, but it's fair to wonder. I believe he is the last of the coaches who is a holdover from the Leslie Frazier era: Zimmer kept Priefer,  Jeff Davidson (OL), and George Stewart (WR)...I thought those last two were rookie HC mistakes by Zimmer. Maybe Priefer as well? Coverage has been OK but Sherels doesn't get much in returns, blocking for kicks is obviously a problem, and you have to give Priefer some of the blame for settling for Forbath and not bringing in competition.
What are you talking about?  They had a great kicker battle at camp.  Hell I thought they might have kept the wrong one until the season started and Kai showed that he had strengthened his leg and was kicking higher and deep than last year.  Sherels isnt really getting much to return,  but teams arent really going to distance.. they are hanging them high and letting the coverage do its job.  It doesnt seem like the opposition is getting a high average on their punts.
He brought in another kicker but it seemed like token competition; my perspective on that might be wrong. I just expected a drafted kicker or better vet. I feel like our STs have been responsible for game-changing plays in past years, but not in 2017. It's a small gripe, and maybe they are due and will get some big plays in the next 6 (or 9...) games.
Quote: @mblack said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:
@mblack said:
Well, this is year three with kicker issues. It can't be just the kickers. A few weeks ago, Mike P mentioned they had changed the side Forbath kicked from. The blocked kicks can't only be attributed to poor execution. Detroit did it twice (even though one was offside) meaning they must have seen something on film. There was also a FG that was almost blocked.
I have nothing against him. I think coverage has been fairly good but the inside pressure and rush that nearly gets home on kicks is concerning to say the least. I hope I am just overreacting.
Yes Mike P is the last holdover of the last coaching staff.

The kicker they brought in was  a pretty damn good K,  he had a huge leg and really made a good battle out of it.

as far as yesterday,  they blocked one and I didnt get to see a replay but it looked to me like it was maybe a missed penalty on that block as they were over the C immediately.   the other block...who cares they jumped,  I could block a kick if they let me leave early.

Preifer has done a great job with our special teams,  I am not really worried any more than if it comes down to an extra point... or two.