Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brees, Cousins, Draft Pick Or Teddy To QB The Vikings In 2018
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"SFVikingFan" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
The next 8 to 10 weeks will have a lot to say about that. There are a hundred different scenarios that could play out, but I think it will be Teddy. Sam will retire, and we'll resign Keenum as a backup and keep developing Sloter. 
I don't think there is any way Case will be back here as a backup.  After his play so far this year, I bet he will be looking to at least compete for a starting job somewhere and will want a salary to match.
Wow, I don't see that at all. Guy played two years for the Texans, then part of a year for the Rams, the back to the Texans, then back to the Rams. And nowhere did he ever really compete for a starting job. He was a backup and an injury replacement player. And that's exactly what he is here.

I see him getting a nice little raise because he deserves it, but unless he goes nuts in the next few weeks, I don't see him competing for any starting jobs. And if Sam can't make it back, the Vikings make a lot of sense. 
I've heard the same argument and don't believe he is going to have an overwhelming number of suitors on the open market who intend to start him. He has put himself in the position to be paid like a premium backup QB though. If Case wants to be back I can see the Vikings offering him $3.5 - $4.0M to stick around. Remember that Sloter is still under contract as well since the Vikings signed him to a 3 year deal. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"SFVikingFan" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
The next 8 to 10 weeks will have a lot to say about that. There are a hundred different scenarios that could play out, but I think it will be Teddy. Sam will retire, and we'll resign Keenum as a backup and keep developing Sloter. 
I don't think there is any way Case will be back here as a backup.  After his play so far this year, I bet he will be looking to at least compete for a starting job somewhere and will want a salary to match.
Wow, I don't see that at all. Guy played two years for the Texans, then part of a year for the Rams, the back to the Texans, then back to the Rams. And nowhere did he ever really compete for a starting job. He was a backup and an injury replacement player. And that's exactly what he is here.

I see him getting a nice little raise because he deserves it, but unless he goes nuts in the next few weeks, I don't see him competing for any starting jobs. And if Sam can't make it back, the Vikings make a lot of sense. 
I've heard the same argument and don't believe he is going to have an overwhelming number of suitors on the open market who intend to start him. He has put himself in the position to be paid like a premium backup QB though. If Case wants to be back I can see the Vikings offering him $3.5 - $4.0M to stick around. Remember that Sloter is still under contract as well since the Vikings signed him to a 3 year deal. 
Geoff: Have you heard anything at all about what they think of Sloter after getting to see him practicing since they signed him? 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"SFVikingFan" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Geoff: Have you heard anything at all about what they think of Sloter after getting to see him practicing since they signed him? 
They really like his potential. He still needs to continue to grow, but I haven't heard any reason to believe the Vikings don't view him as a long-term project. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"SFVikingFan" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

They really like his potential. He still needs to continue to grow, but I haven't heard any reason to believe the Vikings don't view him as a long-term project. 
I've heard he needs a lot more reps from under center. He's raw for sure. 

What about Sam as the veteran back up?  His knees don't sound like they are going to take a full time gig,  but could he be trusted as a backup and how much would he demand?  I don't see him getting a starting type contract but maybe an incentive laden deal in case he is forced into a starter role?

Top of my head:

Teddy, Keenum, Sloter.  If one of Teddy or Case can't / won't sign, then use a high pick on a QB.  Otherwise, roll into camp with those three and a late-round QB.

If Keenum wants to start next year, he'll have options. Here's where I think he would be the default starter next year:  Arizona, Texas, maybe NO (depending on Brees), Cleveland, NY Jets, Washington (depending on Cousins).  

If he wants to be the highest-paid back-up QB in the league, he can do that here.  And he'll probably still get a chance to play here.