Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kipers new Mock
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
From GBN

Rumor du jour: Vikes, Pats close to swapping picks …
 Just a quick follow-up to yesterday’s story on the growing buzz surrounding Minnesota’s attempt to move up in the draft from the 11th pick overall to a position where they could get one of this year’s top QBs after acquiring an extra 1st from Houston, but there was a palpable buzz earlier today that the Vikings are ‘close’ to a deal with New England in which Minnesota would get the 3rd pick overall, presumably where they would select North Carolina QB Drake Maye, in exchange for a monster package of picks that could include the Vikings two first rounders this year and their #1 in

So this is what I was referencing. Everybody good giving up this kind of picks package to move up? Also considering that the 2025 pick may very well be a top 5 or top 10 pick
I’m fine with it. If it works we hit the jackpot. If it doesn’t well we won 7 games last year so its not like we blew up a juggernaut. A jackpot sounds nice to me. Let’s give it a shot!

From GBN

Just a quick follow-up to yesterday’s story on the growing buzz surrounding Minnesota’s attempt to move up in the draft from the 11th pick overall to a position where they could get one of this year’s top QBs after acquiring an extra 1st from Houston, but there was a palpable buzz earlier today that the Vikings are ‘close’ to a deal with New England in which Minnesota would get the 3rd pick overall, presumably where they would select North Carolina QB Drake Maye, in exchange for a monster package of picks that could include the Vikings two first rounders this year and their #1 in

So this is what I was referencing. Everybody good giving up this kind of picks package to move up? Also considering that the 2025 pick may very well be a top 5 or top 10 pick
For sure.  If the Vikings think they can get a franchise QB for that price and we hit...  No one will care about missing out on a couple prospects that may or may not be good in 2024 and 2025.

Now like I said earlier, even if the player we take busts, we probably don't know that until the end of the 2025 season.  And if he busts, we're probably picking early in the 2026 draft where we'll have a first round pick again to take another shot.

If we hit on the QB I don't care about the draft capital. Next year they will be in a position to plug quite a few holes with younger free agents that have already proven they are players in the NFL.

The only reason JJM fell to us in Kiper's mock is that he doesn't include trades in his mocks. With both the Broncos and Raiders right behind us needing a QB I can't imagine 1 of them not jumping us if we stay at 11.  For that matter the Saints at 14 and Seahawks at 16 could get ambitious.  After that.... elevator shaft to the top of the 2nd.

From GBN

Yep. It beats the shit out of giving up JJ in a trade. These are unknown quantities.....draft picks that get squandered every single year by most teams. You trade JJ and then you'll need to draft a WRer because it'll be a need pick, how dumb is that? Minnesota won't be drafting top 5 next year, lets not get dramatic. 

You said you need to swing for the fences to get a 'franchise QB'....this is how you do it. Its not about being ok with it as a fan, its just what has to happen if you want a top tier potential rookie QB. Its a big risk. Nobody's going to deny that. I'm still not convinced however that Minnesota is looking to move up that far.

From GBN

Absolutely. I'd even throw in a 3rd rounder if that's what it took. If you hit on a franchise QB and put him into one of the best surrounds in the NFL, and get to pay him peanuts for 4 years, nobody's going to give a damn about what it took to get him. 

From GBN

If the trade actually happens then this is the hill that this regime has chosen to die on. I do think that if they draft Maye or any QB in this draft that both KOC & Kwesi will be extended in order to give that QB adequate time to develop. But, no doubt if they swing & miss, it'll be the end for this regime.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
From GBN

Yep. It beats the shit out of giving up JJ in a trade. These are unknown quantities.....draft picks that get squandered every single year by most teams. You trade JJ and then you'll need to draft a WRer because it'll be a need pick, how dumb is that? Minnesota won't be drafting top 5 next year, lets not get dramatic. 

You said you need to swing for the fences to get a 'franchise QB'....this is how you do it. Its not about being ok with it as a fan, its just what has to happen if you want a top tier potential rookie QB. Its a big risk. Nobody's going to deny that. I'm still not convinced however that Minnesota is looking to move up that far.
I just think you have to be careful how you allocate that draft haul in a trade. Ask the Panthers, who also thought it was dramatic to think they'd be drafting in the top 5 again in 2024.  It happens, especially with a rookie QB. You give up that haul, you essentially are going to have a one player draft the next two seasons. If that player turns out to be Andrew Luck, great, if not....you are in deep deep doodoo. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
From GBN

Absolutely. I'd even throw in a 3rd rounder if that's what it took. If you hit on a franchise QB and put him into one of the best surrounds in the NFL, and get to pay him peanuts for 4 years, nobody's going to give a damn about what it took to get him. 
It may very well take some additional garnishment (as to how the media draftniks refer to it)...

Am I comfortable giving up this much capital? NO

More importantly, do I trust the org to pick the right guy? Sometimes

I dont believe the system is flawed in choosing QB's from the college ranks. Rather I believe a very high % of these kids are ruined coming into bad situations. 

Do I think the Vikings offer more positives (vs the avg team) in terms of surround to curate a QB?  YES 

Do I think the Vikings will eventually move up that high in the draft? No, but it may not be for lack of trying