Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Smoking
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
So I'm not a big smoker of meats....but eating them is another story. So when I lived in KC, a neighbor who I was a good buddy with LOVED to smoke meat. Had a really nice smoker, etc. But he never ate what he smoked. Ever. So he'd always invite my wife and I and a few other neighbors in our cul-de-sac over to eat. We'd bring the beer, sides, dessert, etc. I mean this went on almost every weekend from May to like early October. 

Now THAT'S how you smoke meat.  :p
I never liked BBQ until I went to Kansas City last fall with my son for a baseball tournament. I think the place we went to was called Slaps. Oh my. 

[Image: aladdin-jasmine.gif]
Yeah, I moved from KC about a year before Slaps came in. I loved Arthur Bryants, Oklahoma Joe's, Gates. A lot more places opened up over the last 11 years since I moved. Strouds used to be an excellent place for fried chicken, etc. but it didn't survive COVID. 
I'm happy to see fried chicken sort of making a comeback. For 20 years, outside of the one or two soul-food joints, it was really hard to find a restaurant in Denver that even had fried chicken on the menu. But I'll blame that on all the Subaru-driving, mountain-climbing, kale-eating health nuts in the area. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Glad this thread has got some traction! I thought the interest might overlap but it's still fun to see. I'm smoking a whole duck for the first time today. Gonna put it on in an hour or so for an early dinner (hopefully). Quack quack!
If you have a good duck recipe, let me know.  I’ve got a duck in my freezer that I’ve been
putting off just because I wasn’t sure of a good recipe to use on it.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
So I'm not a big smoker of meats....but eating them is another story. So when I lived in KC, a neighbor who I was a good buddy with LOVED to smoke meat. Had a really nice smoker, etc. But he never ate what he smoked. Ever. So he'd always invite my wife and I and a few other neighbors in our cul-de-sac over to eat. We'd bring the beer, sides, dessert, etc. I mean this went on almost every weekend from May to like early October. 

Now THAT'S how you smoke meat.  :p
I never liked BBQ until I went to Kansas City last fall with my son for a baseball tournament. I think the place we went to was called Slaps. Oh my. 

[Image: aladdin-jasmine.gif]
Yeah, I moved from KC about a year before Slaps came in. I loved Arthur Bryants, Oklahoma Joe's, Gates. A lot more places opened up over the last 11 years since I moved. Strouds used to be an excellent place for fried chicken, etc. but it didn't survive COVID. 
My son lived in KC for about 5 years and we'd go there often.  Oklahoma Joe's ribs are frickin' the bomb - love them!  The crown prime rib at Jack Stack's is like nothing I've ever had.  One rib fills you up - it's so delicious my mouth is watering as I type.[Image: AMCP0221.jpg]
Love burnt ends....can't always get them.

I'm a huge fan of KC BBQ.  'nuff said.
I have an older Traeger smoker...it has a hard time keeping it's temp consistent, but still turns out great smoked meat.
I have a separate gas grill...it has its place.

Last weekend, I did a rack of Baby Back Ribs differently than I've done before, shockingly in my oven, but they turned out better than any I've ever done.  The secret I think was three things: 
1) I was able to monitor the temp with my bluetooth MeatStick.  Kept it between 193 and 202. 
2) I had read a thread where the overwhelming recommendations were a) don't open the oven door to check on it...one guy had checked it every 15 minutes and 90% of the posters (and lovers of smoked meat) admonished  him for ruining his efforts, and b) cover roasting pan with aluminum foil and steam. 
3)  One of the posters on that thread suggested to use apple juice instead of water to steam it.  I didn't have apple juice, but i had apple cider. 

I used two Costco rubs on an infused olive oil coating...one was their store brand Rib Rub.  The other was their Mesquite seasoning.  
Coated it and roasted open for 40 minutes at the end with Kraft KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce...the closest thing I've ever found to real KC BBQ flavor.
It was fabulous.  

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
I have an older Traeger smoker...it has a hard time keeping it's temp consistent, but still turns out great smoked meat.

Last weekend, I did a rack of Baby Back Ribs differently than I've done before, shockingly in my oven, but they turned out better than any I've ever done.  The secret I think was three things: 
1) I was able to monitor the temp with my bluetooth MeatStick.  Kept it between 193 and 202. 
2) I had read a thread where the overwhelming recommendations were a) don't open the oven door to check on it...one guy had checked it every 15 minutes and 90% of the posters (and lovers of smoked meat) admonished  him for ruining his efforts, and b) cover roasting pan with aluminum foil and steam. 
3)  One of the posters on that thread suggested to use apple juice instead of water to steam it.  I didn't have apple juice, but i had apple cider. 

I used two Costco rubs on an infused olive oil coating...one was their store brand Rib Rub.  The other was their Mesquite seasoning.  
Coated it and roasted open for 40 minutes at the end with Kraft KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce...the closest thing I've ever found to real KC BBQ flavor.
It was fabulous.  
I like KC Masterpiece as well, Tom, but its a much sweeter sauce than some people like. Its really for the masses. But I love it. 

I'm the kind of guy that really enjoys omakase (sashimi flights at the chef's discretion) but also has no problem loving the hell out of a vending machine ham salad sandwich. Drives my wife nuts, lol. One night its scallops and risotto and the next I'll go nuts on Velveeta Mac and cheese. I like what I like. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Montana Tom said:

It was fabulous.  
I like KC Masterpiece as well, Tom, but its a much sweeter sauce than some people like. Its really for the masses. But I love it. 

I'm the kind of guy that really enjoys omakase (sashimi flights at the chef's discretion) but also has no problem loving the hell out of a vending machine ham salad sandwich. Drives my wife nuts, lol. One night its scallops and risotto and the next I'll go nuts on Velveeta Mac and cheese. I like what I like. 
You're very brave or very stoopid lol! 

I love Velveeta Mac and Cheese too -- the gold box (not the blue)

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
@Montana Tom said:

It was fabulous.  

You're very brave or very stoopid lol! 

I love Velveeta Mac and Cheese too -- the gold box (not the blue)

Stupid for sure, PF!  :p

I also love a cheap, stale ice cream sandwich....like from a dollar store or Walmart. And then love foie gras. Escargot. Followed up by expired orange slices candy from Dollar Tree, with some cherry sours I found unopened in the parking lot, lol. Zero shame in my game, brother.

For those interested in trying the thermoworks smoke controller it is currently only $144 plus shipping for the 4 channel model.  I recommend the purple model.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
https://twitter.com/historyinmemes/statu...57614?s=20
Some of the best cheeseburgers you'll ever have are by high end restaurants. Now is that something you want to order however in that context? Almost always no. There is a VERY nice restaurant called Buccan in Palm Beach and they have a hot dog on the menu, lol. Its on the appetizer menu but you can't believe how many people order it.