Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilson released by Broncos
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
Wilson is easily the best bridge option out there for the Vikings. If we allow Cousins to sign elsewhere, $28.5M hits our cap. Wilson's minimal salary requirements would allow the Vikings to absorb that hit in 2024 at roughly $8M more than Cousins cap hit was in 2023.

Obviously, he's not perfect and there's a shit ton wrong with him, not the least of which is his impact on our carefully crafted culture. But all the perfect options are unavailable, and Wilson is the only QB out there who would legitimately give the Vikings a chance to remain competitive while they onboard a new QB by giving the Vikings the financial headroom to add tier-1 free agents to his surround.  
100%. On a bad Broncos team last season he still accounted for 29 TD's, over 3,000 yards passing with an almost 67% completion percentage. It really doesn't get much better than that for a bridge QB and with the money saved on his salary, it would certainly open up more doors for us. I'd also say this offense suits what he does best very well. 
You guys have me warming up to Wilson (Ha).  But we need to get our rookie QB in round 1 to groom behind him.  

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
Wilson is easily the best bridge option out there for the Vikings. If we allow Cousins to sign elsewhere, $28.5M hits our cap. Wilson's minimal salary requirements would allow the Vikings to absorb that hit in 2024 at roughly $8M more than Cousins cap hit was in 2023.

Obviously, he's not perfect and there's a shit ton wrong with him, not the least of which is his impact on our carefully crafted culture. But all the perfect options are unavailable, and Wilson is the only QB out there who would legitimately give the Vikings a chance to remain competitive while they onboard a new QB by giving the Vikings the financial headroom to add tier-1 free agents to his surround.  
100%. On a bad Broncos team last season he still accounted for 29 TD's, over 3,000 yards passing with an almost 67% completion percentage. It really doesn't get much better than that for a bridge QB and with the money saved on his salary, it would certainly open up more doors for us. I'd also say this offense suits what he does best very well. 
Yep. I'll add- the Wilson trade looks HORRIBLE for Denver today. But what if 2 years from now they realize the Sean Payton deal is even worse? Dude is a megalomaniac who just cut a solid QB simply because he doesn't like him.
If Russ goes to another team and does well while Denver flounders without a QB for a few years, it will truly be hilarious. Media is all throwing dirt on Russ and clinging to the Payton is a Genius narrative right now. I'd love nothing more than to see all of that shift and this blow up in Payton's face. As cringey as Russ can be, Payton is the dude who I actually kinda hate haha.

For vet min., I would take Russ in a heartbeat.  

You still draft a QB but you don't have to be desperate.  Maybe your guy is at 11, maybe you like Nix or Penix in the 2nd.  

You can resign Hunter, sign a Wilkins and center to solidify the trenches, draft a EDGE stud and field a playoff team.

He's not the passer that Kirk is but is mobile enough to be DANGERUSSSSSSSSSSSSS and keep you in every game.

Quote: @Skodin said:
For vet min., I would take Russ in a heartbeat.  

You still draft a QB but you don't have to be desperate.  Maybe your guy is at 11, maybe you like Nix or Penix in the 2nd.  

You can resign Hunter, sign a Wilkins and center to solidify the trenches, draft a EDGE stud and field a playoff team.

He's not the passer that Kirk is but is mobile enough to be DANGERUSSSSSSSSSSSSS and keep you in every game.
Yeah, not to go overboard but I'm not so sure Wilson wouldn't be the better signing at the end of the day for the reasons you mentioned. I think you would have a highly motivated Wilson coming in at a fraction of what you would have to pay Cousins, he gives you some pocket mobility, and he can still throw the deep ball to keep defenses honest. Add that to potentially being able to keep Hunter/Wonnum and add to the defense....and the Wilson signing might end up being the best move for the Vikings 

I don't see him as being a good fit in KOC's offense. KOC's offense features a lot of intermediate passes across the middle. That's not Russ's game.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
$85 million in dead cap money. Worst trade in NFL history. Russ was washed 2 years before he left Seattle. 
[Image: dy74cazj0id8.jpg]

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
I don't see him as being a good fit in KOC's offense. KOC's offense features a lot of intermediate passes across the middle. That's not Russ's game.
https://youtu.be/tPk05UBIQCA?si=ixPlBwW05v3Sxk3O

Looks like he can still make the intermediate throws to me. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:

Yep. I'll add- the Wilson trade looks HORRIBLE for Denver today. But what if 2 years from now they realize the Sean Payton deal is even worse? Dude is a megalomaniac who just cut a solid QB simply because he doesn't like him.
If Russ goes to another team and does well while Denver flounders without a QB for a few years, it will truly be hilarious. Media is all throwing dirt on Russ and clinging to the Payton is a Genius narrative right now. I'd love nothing more than to see all of that shift and this blow up in Payton's face. As cringey as Russ can be, Payton is the dude who I actually kinda hate haha.
While I think everyone hates Blue Steel, Payton didn’t cut
Wilson because he “didn’t like” him. 
Everyone knows this is fucking the Broncos up for a couple years with
the 85M dead cap and they still chose to do that.  Something bad happened where Wilson just can’t
be on the team anymore and it would be a serious liability to have him on the
team and it would probably be a liability for him to be on any team regardless
of cost.  Like he probably pulled a Harvin
and threw a weight at a coach or something equivalent or pulled an Irvin and
stabbed someone with a scissors.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
@MaroonBells said:

I agree Wilson would be better than Dobbs or Hall, but maybe not Mullens.  Mayfield would be much better than Wilson.  Wilson isn't good anymore, and a desparate QB needy team like Denver just kicked him off the team.  That to me is the huge red flag.
Mayfield is projected to get $27M AAV. This would sit on top of Cousins cap hit. So roughly a $55M cap hit. And Mayfield is going to want (and likely get) a multi-year deal from someone. If the Vikings were prepared to offer anyone a multi-year deal, they would just re-sign Cousins at half the cap hit. 

The only way I could see this happening is if Baker would be willing to accept a one-year, prove-it deal playing with JJ, et al. As tempting as that might be for him, he's far more likely to take the longer term. 

Baker took the one year prove it deal last year, and proved it. He's not taking another one.

I agree with you that Russell Wilson is far and away the best bridge option if Kirk walks. However, I think him coming here is unlikely. He doesn't want to be a bridge QB just like Kirk doesn't. He could go to Pittsburgh (or possibly WAS, NE) and be the locked in starter for multiple years. If the Vikings wanted that they'd give it to Kirk or Baker before Russ I think. We need to draft a QB early and badly. If this costs us multiple first round picks then does it really do the Vikings much good to try and make a run in 2024 with Russ or whoever? Getting Kirk's dead money off the books, getting the guaranteed money for guys like JJ and possibly Hunter or another impact defensive player out of the way, and resetting while preparing to make a big run in 2025 might be more prudent.
I’ll literally be physically ill if Russell Wilson ends up in Minnesota. Russ is the biggest egomaniac diva QB in the league. He is about Russ and Russ only. The Broncos are willing to eat EIGHTY FIVE MILLION in dead cap just to get rid of him.

Dude is an absolute cancer and this team will reap what it sews if they go down this path. I can’t believe anyone who roots for the Vikings would want him anywhere near our locker room

Quote: @CFIAvike said:
@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
@MaroonBells said:

I agree Wilson would be better than Dobbs or Hall, but maybe not Mullens.  Mayfield would be much better than Wilson.  Wilson isn't good anymore, and a desparate QB needy team like Denver just kicked him off the team.  That to me is the huge red flag.
Mayfield is projected to get $27M AAV. This would sit on top of Cousins cap hit. So roughly a $55M cap hit. And Mayfield is going to want (and likely get) a multi-year deal from someone. If the Vikings were prepared to offer anyone a multi-year deal, they would just re-sign Cousins at half the cap hit. 

The only way I could see this happening is if Baker would be willing to accept a one-year, prove-it deal playing with JJ, et al. As tempting as that might be for him, he's far more likely to take the longer term. 

Baker took the one year prove it deal last year, and proved it. He's not taking another one.

I agree with you that Russell Wilson is far and away the best bridge option if Kirk walks. However, I think him coming here is unlikely. He doesn't want to be a bridge QB just like Kirk doesn't. He could go to Pittsburgh (or possibly WAS, NE) and be the locked in starter for multiple years. If the Vikings wanted that they'd give it to Kirk or Baker before Russ I think. We need to draft a QB early and badly. If this costs us multiple first round picks then does it really do the Vikings much good to try and make a run in 2024 with Russ or whoever? Getting Kirk's dead money off the books, getting the guaranteed money for guys like JJ and possibly Hunter or another impact defensive player out of the way, and resetting while preparing to make a big run in 2025 might be more prudent.
I’ll literally be physically ill if Russell Wilson ends up in Minnesota. Russ is the biggest egomaniac diva QB in the league. He is about Russ and Russ only. The Broncos are willing to eat EIGHTY FIVE MILLION in dead cap just to get rid of him.

Dude is an absolute cancer and this team will reap what it sews if they go down this path. I can’t believe anyone who roots for the Vikings would want him anywhere near our locker room
If it happens, film u barfing and post the link imo. Could start a new TikTok trend to replace jersey burning.