Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The NFC North is “calling our bluff” of sorts
Who's to say Cousins even comes back as the same player, even with advancements in medicine? That's his plant achillies he blew out and any instability leads to less zip on throws and the body potentially compensating leading to other injuries. He's 36 and that's not the kind of injury you want for those very reasons. The injury and the age muddies the waters even more on wether we had any intention on bringing him back anyway. I wouldn't do anything outside of an incentive laden one year deal, with a team option for a second year. It's just such a huge roll of the dice to get into "guarantees" and big money deals (which you know he wants) when talking about a guy like Cousins and the circumstances surrounding that signing. 

I'm not so certain that Russell Wilson wouldn't be the better bet on a short term deal 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Who's to say Cousins even comes back as the same player, even with advancements in medicine? That's his plant achillies he blew out and any instability leads to less zip on throws and the body potentially compensating leading to other injuries. He's 36 and that's not the kind of injury you want for those very reasons. The injury and the age muddies the waters even more on wether we had any intention on bringing him back anyway. I wouldn't do anything outside of an incentive laden one year deal, with a team option for a second year. It's just such a huge roll of the dice to get into "guarantees" and big money deals (which you know he wants) when talking about a guy like Cousins and the circumstances surrounding that signing. 

I'm not so certain that Russell Wilson wouldn't be the better bet on a short term deal 
According to popular opinion on advanced medicine, all players come back better, stronger and faster after injuries so who knows… we may get a versions of Cousins that is faster and moves around better. /sarcasm

Quote: @mblack said:
@supafreak84 said:

According to popular opinion on advanced medicine, all players come back better, stronger and faster after injuries so who knows… we may get a versions of Cousins that is faster and moves around better. /sarcasm

Better.  Faster.  Stronger.  Que the 36 million dollar man music.

I mean, aren't the Jets supposed to release Rodgers and we coax him out of retirement just before training camp? Isn't that supposed to be how this plays out....?

Quote: @VikingIowA said:
This is pretty simple.  Offer cousins a one year 30 million with a guaranteed 2 year if he meets certain performance incentives, tied to team not individual success.  NFC divisional round appearance at minimum.  If he doesn't take that, which he won't it proves he is who he is, a self serving, individual first, overpaid player.  There could be multiple bridge QBs this offseasn.  Hell Goff is only making 25 mil and scheduled for that next year as well.  Mayfield, who we could have signed, could have easily been playing in the NFC championship game given a few different outcomes on plays yesterday.  Mullens type players won't get the job done but a Minshew, Mac Jones, Cooper Rush, Darnold, Carr (if available), player just might offer competitive play on par with Mayfield while still either drafting a top QB or top defensive player and developing second tier QB drafted in the second whit cap flexibility.  

I would do this and dump Cousins because Cousins won't offer a team friendly deal and the likelihood of him suddenly changing his spots when it comes  to field of play are extremely low.  We need to rebuild but having money to sign free agents (that are good signings) and making Kwesi prove he can draft competently along with those signings are as important as drafting a franchise QB.
Can set please stop with this narrative that one of these QBs that keep getting mentioned with Mayfield is going to "keep us competitive".  What does THAT kind of competitive mean anyhow? Maybe 9 wins if we're really lucky? Literally every one of those QBS outside of Carr and Mac Jones (who got benched because he sucks) started the season as a back up....for a reason.

So we wanna pay Cooper Rush 25 mil a year to walk in and what? Lay a turd on the field because he's really not that good and has no experience in our system? All to save 10 mil over what it'll likely take to sign Kirk?

If you hate Kirk that much, fine.  But don't pretend we can be a playoff team or a contender by just dropping Gardner Minshew or Sam Darnold into our offense.  That's asinine. This level of QB is just good enough to keep us from losing enough games to aquire an impactful draft pick.

The absolute worst case scenario for this team is to go this route and draft a Penix, Nix , or McCarthy and pray they develop in a couple years.  Because when they don't, we're gonna sign another dog shit back up level signal caller and keep throwing darts at the wall drafting second tier QBs in the 11-15 range.

Quote: @CFIAvike said:
@VikingIowA said:
This is pretty simple.  Offer cousins a one year 30 million with a guaranteed 2 year if he meets certain performance incentives, tied to team not individual success.  NFC divisional round appearance at minimum.  If he doesn't take that, which he won't it proves he is who he is, a self serving, individual first, overpaid player.  There could be multiple bridge QBs this offseasn.  Hell Goff is only making 25 mil and scheduled for that next year as well.  Mayfield, who we could have signed, could have easily been playing in the NFC championship game given a few different outcomes on plays yesterday.  Mullens type players won't get the job done but a Minshew, Mac Jones, Cooper Rush, Darnold, Carr (if available), player just might offer competitive play on par with Mayfield while still either drafting a top QB or top defensive player and developing second tier QB drafted in the second whit cap flexibility.  

I would do this and dump Cousins because Cousins won't offer a team friendly deal and the likelihood of him suddenly changing his spots when it comes  to field of play are extremely low.  We need to rebuild but having money to sign free agents (that are good signings) and making Kwesi prove he can draft competently along with those signings are as important as drafting a franchise QB.
Can set please stop with this narrative that one of these QBs that keep getting mentioned with Mayfield is going to "keep us competitive".  What does THAT kind of competitive mean anyhow? Maybe 9 wins if we're really lucky? Literally every one of those QBS outside of Carr and Mac Jones (who got benched because he sucks) started the season as a back up....for a reason.

So we wanna pay Cooper Rush 25 mil a year to walk in and what? Lay a turd on the field because he's really not that good and has no experience in our system? All to save 10 mil over what it'll likely take to sign Kirk?

If you hate Kirk that much, fine.  But don't pretend we can be a playoff team or a contender by just dropping Gardner Minshew or Sam Darnold into our offense.  That's asinine. This level of QB is just good enough to keep us from losing enough games to aquire an impactful draft pick.

The absolute worst case scenario for this team is to go this route and draft a Penix, Nix , or McCarthy and pray they develop in a couple years.  Because when they don't, we're gonna sign another dog shit back up level signal caller and keep throwing darts at the wall drafting second tier QBs in the 11-15 range.

I respectfully disagree. I believe Penix, McCarthy, and nix will be better than Williams. I'm sure there will be no real way to prove it but all I'm saying is that one of those 3 will lead teams to the playoffs years before Williams.  I would seriously doubt we would need to throw anymore darts. I also think Maye will show quicker progress than Williams. This is just my opinion.  We definitely aren't going anywhere with the status quo. We need a QB that won't hesitate to throw JJ the ball.

Quote: @FLVike said:
@CFIAvike said:
@VikingIowA said:

I respectfully disagree. I believe Penix, McCarthy, and nix will be better than Williams. I'm sure there will be no real way to prove it but all I'm saying is that one of those 3 will lead teams to the playoffs years before Williams.  I would seriously doubt we would need to throw anymore darts. I also think Maye will show quicker progress than Williams. This is just my opinion.  We definitely aren't going anywhere with the status quo. We need a QB that won't hesitate to throw JJ the ball.
Penix will never stay healthy...I'll go as far to say I don't think he'll ever finish a full NFL season. Penix's ceiling might be Byron Leftwich. 

Nix plays in a gadget offense that's designed to mask his weaknesses (ala throwing to anyone other than his first read).  Bo Nix has Marcus Mariota written all over him. 

JJ McCarthy will take a MINIMUM of three years holding a clipboard to even have a chance of starting.  He's way too young and he's in an offense where he basically just doesn't have to screw anything up. He needs another year in college, But unfortunately he's probably the best of the much lower second tier.

If you think all three of these will be better than Caleb Williams that means it's a 1 or 2 QB draft (which would actually track with the average of successful first and second round QBs drafted since 2000).

One of the Top 3 QBs will bust and the odds any of the next tier being a good/great starter are slim at best.  

Again....one man's opinion.  But I'm not going to bullshit myself into believing that if we end up with one of the 3 second tier QBs available in this draft, we're set for the next 10-15 years. But if someone wants to set themselves up for a world disappointment with a trip to "Ponder Land", be my guest 

@FLVike said:
@CFIAvike said:
@VikingIowA said:

Penix will never stay healthy...I'll go as far to say I don't think he'll ever finish a full NFL season. Penix's ceiling might be Byron Leftwich. 

Nix plays in a gadget offense that's designed to mask his weaknesses (ala throwing to anyone other than his first read).  Bo Nix has Marcus Mariota written all over him. 

JJ McCarthy will take a MINIMUM of three years holding a clipboard to even have a chance of starting.  He's way too young and he's in an offense where he basically just doesn't have to screw anything up. He needs another year in college, But unfortunately he's probably the best of the much lower second tier.

If you think all three of these will be better than Caleb Williams that means it's a 1 or 2 QB draft (which would actually track with the average of successful first and second round QBs drafted since 2000).

One of the Top 3 QBs will bust and the odds any of the next tier being a good/great starter are slim at best.  

Again....one man's opinion.  But I'm not going to bullshit myself into believing that if we end up with one of the 3 second tier QBs available in this draft, we're set for the next 10-15 years. But if someone wants to set themselves up for a world disappointment with a trip to "Ponder Land", be my guest 
You might be right, time will tell, but three years is an eternity in the NFL. If teams actually think he’ll take that long then he’s not draftable before like the 6th.

I personally don’t think JJ will take nearly that long. Maybe a season. But the Niners are doing just fine with a QB who’s asked not to screw stuff up. To some extent so are the Lions. Just need playmakers around then. We’re an RB short of having just as good of weapons as those two teams. Defense is a whole ‘nother story but with FA and two drafts these are issues that could be fixed to make a real run in 2025 with JJ at QB. Maybe it does take an extra year. Ok. That’s 3 drafts and 3 FA cycles we have then. And McCarthy will still be on a cheap deal. If he busts that sucks but now the overall roster should be improved and you decide if signing or trading for a better QB makes sense. This is my preferred path as of now. It might wind up being nothing but Kirk’s achilles scares me quite a bit. Giving him big $ and then having it not work out is the kind of thing that will set this team back much further than drafting a bust at QB. It’s a tough decision. I hope whatever KO and KAM decide is the correct choice. 

@FLVike said:
@CFIAvike said:
@VikingIowA said:

You very well may be right. But if you think Cousins will get anywhere close to sniffing a Superbowl appearance then I'm afraid your disappointment will be much greater.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@CFIAvike said:
@FLVike said:
@CFIAvike said:
@VikingIowA said:

You might be right, time will tell, but three years is an eternity in the NFL. If teams actually think he’ll take that long then he’s not draftable before like the 6th.

I personally don’t think JJ will take nearly that long. Maybe a season. But the Niners are doing just fine with a QB who’s asked not to screw stuff up. To some extent so are the Lions. Just need playmakers around then. We’re an RB short of having just as good of weapons as those two teams. Defense is a whole ‘nother story but with FA and two drafts these are issues that could be fixed to make a real run in 2025 with JJ at QB. Maybe it does take an extra year. Ok. That’s 3 drafts and 3 FA cycles we have then. And McCarthy will still be on a cheap deal. If he busts that sucks but now the overall roster should be improved and you decide if signing or trading for a better QB makes sense. This is my preferred path as of now. It might wind up being nothing but Kirk’s achilles scares me quite a bit. Giving him big $ and then having it not work out is the kind of thing that will set this team back much further than drafting a bust at QB. It’s a tough decision. I hope whatever KO and KAM decide is the correct choice. 

The draft analysts said the same thing about AR in last year's draft, that he would have to sit at least 2 years. Dude started on opening day.