Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dobbs definitely starter for next week!
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@rf54 said:
@MaroonBells said:
Wow, is this a QB controversy? It sounds like some of you think Dobbs should start even if Hall were healthy.
I think the confussion is many believe that Hall was picked to start above other options when in reality Hall was the only option to start against the Falcons.  Dobbs was added 5 days before the game and it was simply looked at as if he could not be ready. 

KOC had to get a QB ready to play and Dobbs was not even on the roster Monday or Tuesday.  He arrived in Min late Tuesday and was only at practice Wed, Thur, and Fri.  with Sat a travel day.  KOC put all his efforts into getting the 1 guy available ready.  

Now that he has Dobbs here for and entire week, and now that he knows Dobbs is able to learn fast, the clear choice is the guy that has been starting in the NFL for 7 weeks this year and several games last year.

KOC was astonished by what Dobbs learned in a few days and said so in his presser.  

Hall,although looked OK in his second drive.  is still a 5th round rookie, who is looked at as a project by the Vikings.  Dobbs, while also looked at a developmental, has years more experience.  Look at some of the throws he made.  The throw to Addison on the sideline, The throw to Hockinson that was punched out, these are throws that we have not seen Hall make, and he may not have even attempted them.

I also think the Vikings may have to add another QB this week to get another back-up with Hall likely unable to dress for Sunday and not sure if Mullens is ready to return.
Watch him look like a pile of dung this week when he gets some prep lol!! 

You are spot on in that they need to bring in another QB and they are probably praying hard Mullens gets back soon. They need QB bodies. 

All that said, I dont believe for a minute Dobbs is our QBOTF. I would have loved the remainder of the season to see what they got in Hall and that'll get truncated with the concussion. 
Isn't Mannion on the Practice Squad still?  They'll just elevate him if Hall doesn't clear protocol I would assume.  Just like last week, they wouldn't have a lot of time to get an outsider up to speed while they're also trying to get QB1 up to speed.

I think you have to rest Hall for next week because of the
concussion even if he is approved for play.  After that, I think you play whichever guy between
Hall, Dobbs and Mullens has the best command of the offense, which you probably
determine in practice.  I don’t think
Dobbs miracle plays with his legs are really something you want to depend on
when he’s barely able to run the regular plays. 
Obviously, he’ll get better knowledge of stuff as time goes on, but also
he’s been moved around a lot and a backup for a reason.  It’s not a reliable way to play the game
having to have KOC spend the whole game telling him all the keys for each play
in the handful of seconds during the huddle, and I don’t think that’s an insult
to Dobbs.

While obviously, the team is still thinking that we just
need to keep winning to get into the playoffs, our odds of being competitive in
the playoffs is probably not great.  I just
think by the end of the year, you really want to see what you have in both Hall
and Dobbs, when they’ve both had enough game time and proper preparation to
show what they’re capable of, so that you can make an accurate assessment on
what you want to do next offseason.  I do
think KOC is the right guy to get the most out of all of our QBs, so while
Dobbs has been a journeyman backup QB his career, maybe KOC is the guy that can
train him out of those dealbreaker turnovers and make him a starter in the league.  Hall is a young guy and maybe he’s got more
starting caliber potential than the 2 career backups.  We all know the pros and cons of Cousins and
I doubt we’re going to draft a QB in the first and then keep 4 QBs.

I’d probably give Dobbs next week for concussion related
reasons.  Then Hall the next two weeks to
let Dobbs stabilize his knowledge of the offense.  Then have an open competition.  I’m really curious why teams keep letting
Dobbs leave their team.  It seems that he’s
got the physical and mental traits that you’d want to develop longterm.

I had to look it up.  Josh Dobbs was still in diapers when the Falcons beat us in the NFCC game. Damn, I'm old.

Quote: @badgervike said:
@purplefaithful said:
@rf54 said:
@MaroonBells said:
Wow, is this a QB controversy? It sounds like some of you think Dobbs should start even if Hall were healthy.
I think the confussion is many believe that Hall was picked to start above other options when in reality Hall was the only option to start against the Falcons.  Dobbs was added 5 days before the game and it was simply looked at as if he could not be ready. 

KOC had to get a QB ready to play and Dobbs was not even on the roster Monday or Tuesday.  He arrived in Min late Tuesday and was only at practice Wed, Thur, and Fri.  with Sat a travel day.  KOC put all his efforts into getting the 1 guy available ready.  

Now that he has Dobbs here for and entire week, and now that he knows Dobbs is able to learn fast, the clear choice is the guy that has been starting in the NFL for 7 weeks this year and several games last year.

KOC was astonished by what Dobbs learned in a few days and said so in his presser.  

Hall,although looked OK in his second drive.  is still a 5th round rookie, who is looked at as a project by the Vikings.  Dobbs, while also looked at a developmental, has years more experience.  Look at some of the throws he made.  The throw to Addison on the sideline, The throw to Hockinson that was punched out, these are throws that we have not seen Hall make, and he may not have even attempted them.

I also think the Vikings may have to add another QB this week to get another back-up with Hall likely unable to dress for Sunday and not sure if Mullens is ready to return.

You are spot on in that they need to bring in another QB and they are probably praying hard Mullens gets back soon. They need QB bodies. 

All that said, I dont believe for a minute Dobbs is our QBOTF. I would have loved the remainder of the season to see what they got in Hall and that'll get truncated with the concussion. 
Isn't Mannion on the Practice Squad still?  They'll just elevate him if Hall doesn't clear protocol I would assume.  Just like last week, they wouldn't have a lot of time to get an outsider up to speed while they're also trying to get QB1 up to speed.
Mannion has been on the roster for weeks after being here for last years training camp...  Why wasn't he evaluated Sunday?

Quote: @medaille said:
concussion even if he is approved for play.  After that, I think you play whichever guy between
he’s been moved around a lot and a backup for a reason.  It’s not a reliable way to play the game
to Dobbs.

train him out of those dealbreaker turnovers and make him a starter in the league.  Hall is a young guy and maybe he’s got more
starting caliber potential than the 2 career backups.  We all know the pros and cons of Cousins and

let Dobbs stabilize his knowledge of the offense.  Then have an open competition.  I’m really curious why teams keep letting

This team isn't good enough to win the Super Bowl.  I don't think you'll find many arguing that point.  If you take a 10,000 ft overview, we probably would have been better off losing yesterday and helping our draft position. 

But damn it was fun!!!!!  Thats what the NFL is, its entertainment, and I'll take the win. 

Quote: @medaille said:
to Dobbs.

Agree. The Cards were not even going to start Dobbs this weekend before he was traded, giving the nod instead to a 5th round rookie, who was historically bad, btw. 

We have to remember that the Vikings are Dobbs' 9th team in 7 years. Considering that, and his intelligence, he obviously has the ability to adapt and learn offenses quickly. He was the perfect guy to come in on short notice to back up Hall. But to think he's anything more than that might be wishful thinking. 

Is it possible that he's just a perfect match for KOC's offense? Anything's possible. But just seems super unlikely. 

Quote: @rf54 said:
@badgervike said:
@purplefaithful said:
@rf54 said:
@MaroonBells said:

Mannion has been on the roster for weeks after being here for last years training camp...  Why wasn't he evaluated Sunday?
I wasn't quite sure why they didn't designate Mannion as QB2 for the week especially given the little time the staff had to prep two quarterbacks.  The emergency QB rule allows an emergency QB3 to dress for the game.  I'm assuming Mannion was dressed.  If the QB3 enters, however, before the 4th quarter...QB1 and QB2 are ineligible for the rest of the game.

@rf54 said:
@badgervike said:
@purplefaithful said:
@rf54 said:
@MaroonBells said:

I wasn't quite sure why they didn't designate Mannion as QB2 for the week especially given the little time the staff had to prep two quarterbacks.  The emergency QB rule allows an emergency QB3 to dress for the game.  I'm assuming Mannion was dressed.  If the QB3 enters, however, before the 4th quarter...QB1 and QB2 are ineligible for the rest of the game.
No Mannion was not elevated to roster for game and not dressed Sunday

Quote: @rf54 said:
@badgervike said:
@rf54 said:
@badgervike said:
@purplefaithful said:
@rf54 said:
@MaroonBells said:

No Mannion was not elevated to roster for game and not dressed Sunday

Well, at least they got that one right lol

@rf54 said:
@badgervike said:
@purplefaithful said:
@rf54 said:
@MaroonBells said:

I think the answer is that it would force the team to
promote him to the 53 man roster and that would jeopardize someone elses roster
spot if there wasn’t an opening made by having a player be on IR or something.
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-emergency-third-quarterback-rule-questions-and-answers

Q:  What
is an Emergency Third Quarterback?

A:  A
club may designate a bona fide quarterback as an Inactive/Emergency Third
Quarterback for a regular-season or postseason game. The player must be listed
on the Gameday Administration Report that is submitted prior to or at the
90-minute meeting, subject to the following:​

The
Emergency Third Quarterback must be on the club's 53-player roster; the player
cannot be an elevated Practice Squad player. The club's starting quarterback
(QB1) and its backup quarterback (QB2) must also be on the club's 53-player
roster.

A
club must have two bona fide quarterbacks on its 47/48-player gameday active
list to designate an Emergency Third Quarterback. 

A
club cannot designate an Emergency Third Quarterback if it has three or more
bona fide quarterbacks on its 47/48-player gameday active list.