Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could have had a franchise QB
Quote: @"medaille" said:
Here's a consensus ranking that shows where various groups ranked the two QBs.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/2014-nfl-draft-consensus-qb-rankings
Just when this turd was erased from my brain cells.... Sad
[Image: g8n138y5575b.jpg]

Fact is, Oakland has been building their franchise better than we have. Their O-line has been been built to last, while we have been hitting the bargain bins at Walmart. That alone should make your QB better. Moving up to get chumps like Waynes, and Patterson while ignoring significant weaknesses on our o-line has been ridiculous.

I'm afraid even the Lions have passed us due to the very fact that they have finally  addressed their o-line while we figured we'd find the diamond in the rough in the 4th and 5th round.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"comet52" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
6 months before the 2014 draft, Bridgewater was being discussed as a potential #1 overall pick. That's a huge attraction to Rick Spielman - he loves drafting guys who were "supposed" to go earlier according to Kiper and the drafting: Sharrif Floyd, TJ Clemmings, Mac Alexander, Dalvin Cook, Bridgewater. Not saying these are all bad, but he loves to hear he got a "steal".
You're implying he ignores the scouts and coaches and forces his "Kiper" picks down everyone's throats.  Yet there haven't been mass resignations, everyone at Winter Park just collects a check knowing their efforts mean nothing because on draft day Evil Ricky takes over and screws the pooch!
Not saying he ignores the staff or forces a pick: I'm sure many voices are heard. But I think Spielman is the one who advocates for these, for a couple of reasons: one is that they cross all position areas, and second is that these usually require a move up of some kind, so the GM almost has to be the one driving it. 

But yes, I think he plays a bit heavily to the "highly ranked" players in the draft. That can be good because sliding players sometimes really are big values (Moss above all). It can just be dangerous because the team might not have put as much research into a guy they expected would be long gone before they pick.

As for "Evil Ricky", I've never used any form of that name - don't confuse me with my esteemed colleague from the great state of New Jersey.
It was clear the advocates for Teddy were Norv and his son who worked him out in FL and fell in love.   No doubt that influenced the process but if the Vike's qb rankings matched those of the consensus it's not surprising they took TB.  

But until the weird, gloveless pro day bit I don't think this team had any shot at drafting him even if they used the Barr pick to do it because he probably would have been gone by then.   Why Norv didn't fall in love with Carr, who knows.   Maybe he would have been ours at 32 if someone else went for Teddy, say, Cleveland whose owner jumped in and did what only owners can do - make a terrible decision because hey, I gotta lotta dough so I must be smart at this football thingy... Johnny Football!!

And sorry, didn't mean to confuse you with someone from toxic waste land.

Haha Ralphie.  I remember many salivating over him and thinking how exciting he was going to be. 

Every Vikes QB's knees... why!??!?!? I loved carr, I love teddy. but Minny hates knees?!

I just want to win. I wouldnt care if Jimmy suited up if it meant we win. 

Quote: @"medaille" said:
Here's a consensus ranking that shows where various groups ranked the two QBs.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/2014-nfl-dr...b-rankings

I wanted Teddy over Carr.  Carr has stepped into an ideal offensive situation and he has looked better then I thought.  I do not think he would have thrived in our offense but we will never know.  Teddy looks to be a tragic story as I am doubtful he will ever get back on track - just my opinion.  

Now we have Bradford's knee blowing up - just great to be a Viking fan.

Now we have a handful of posters that blame Spelly/Zimmer/admin for both Teddy's and Bradford's situation which is silly to me.  But we certainly have had very bad luck the last 2 years with injuries including our coach.  

This is a just win baby league and if we don't rebound to the playoffs then I can see a lot of changes being made.  Depending on the circumstances, of course.  I think the Wilf's gave Spelly/Zim combo a injury pass last year but if Sam is out and we are 8-8 again things will get interesting.

With Sam, I expect to compete for the division.  Without Sam I expect to compete with the Bears for 3rd place.  We need a break so if the football gods are watching let's hope Sam's knee is a one time flareup for a week or two!

Quote: @"Canthony" said:
I just want to win. I wouldnt care if Jimmy suited up if it meant we win. 
You've seen my arm... you know thats money in the bank.... but I aint playing for peanuts,  if I am coming out of retirement they are going to have to show me a lot of love.

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
Fact is, Oakland has been building their franchise better than we have. Their O-line has been been built to last, while we have been hitting the bargain bins at Walmart. That alone should make your QB better. Moving up to get chumps like Waynes, and Patterson while ignoring significant weaknesses on our o-line has been ridiculous.

I'm afraid even the Lions have passed us due to the very fact that they have finally  addressed their o-line while we figured we'd find the diamond in the rough in the 4th and 5th round.

Just for reference, using the 2014, 15, and 16 seasons.

In the last 2 years, the Vikings record is 19-13 and the Raiders
record is 19-13.

In the last 3 years, the Vikings record is 26-22 and the Raiders
record is 22-26.

You could probably argue that they are trending better,
because we took a dip due to injuries last year.

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:

You mean like how they drafted Penn, Osemele, Hudson, and Newhouse?

What? None of them were drafted by Oakland?  

They did actually draft Gabe Jackson (3rd Round).  But everyone else had played for other teams or multiple other teams.

That's a legit but pricey way to build a Line. Meanwhile, their Defense stinks. 

So how exactly have they built their franchise better? They built a good Unit and have made some good draft picks (after years of bad picks), that's it.