Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimum Return for D. Hunter
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
If we get moderate improvement from the defense, the Vikings should be a playoff team again in 2023. It's hard to see that happening without Hunter. 

I see Hunter as a tipping point on the rebuild scale. He's the best player on our defense. One of the truly elite edge rushers in the NFL. And he's only 28. You don't pay a guy like it's really hard to make the argument your rebuild is a "competitive" one. 
Agree, especially when we have nothing proven at pass rusher behind him.  Wonnum and Patrick Jones are nice players but they don't look like difference makers.  The guy out of Army is intriguing but I'd be surprised if he does anything notable his rookie year.  Right now our pass rush is questionable, if we trade Hunter it could be a big problem.
Sounds like Wonnum is the one who got Hunter's snaps in OTAs, which is a little surprising to me. I think of PJ2 as the better pass rusher and Wonnum the better run defender.

Hunter is THE key decision of the offseason IMO. The "river" in poker terms. You keep him, the Vikings should be legit contenders. You trade him and they're not. But you might just get the capital you need to draft the QBOTF. 

Wonnum thus far has been mediocre at best. It'll be interesting to see if the Flores defense agrees with him. PJ2 for sure has shown more to date as a pass rusher. The wildcard to me is Luigi Vilain. Of the 3, he's the only one who was signed by the current regime. That just might be enough to get him a spot on the roster.

Granted there are multiple ways to field a super bowl team during the salary cap age.  Everyone knows the rookie QB strategy that is highly successful in putting real talent on the field.  I think a second approach is have a scheme that elevates ordinary players.  For some teams, their schemes are so good that they can easily replace players and not miss a beat.  I remember the Broncos o-line scheme being one that did not require phenomenal olinemen.  KC can get but with decent wide receivers (partly due to Mahones and partly due to scheme).  I think it is important to have a scheme where one positional group can get by with average players for salary cap purposes.

I mention this because it maybe that the former linebacker and linebacker coach, Flores, believes the his creative, blitz heavy scheme does not require superstar linebackers.  Yes, of course it would be better with such players but just perhaps the team feels that the scheme will make up for the lack of a superstar.

Just spitballing here, but it is a thought.

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
Granted there are multiple ways to field a super bowl team during the salary cap age.  Everyone knows the rookie QB strategy that is highly successful in putting real talent on the field.  I think a second approach is have a scheme that elevates ordinary players.  For some teams, their schemes are so good that they can easily replace players and not miss a beat.  I remember the Broncos o-line scheme being one that did not require phenomenal olinemen.  KC can get but with decent wide receivers (partly due to Mahones and partly due to scheme).  I think it is important to have a scheme where one positional group can get by with average players for salary cap purposes.

I mention this because it maybe that the former linebacker and linebacker coach, Flores, believes the his creative, blitz heavy scheme does not require superstar linebackers.  Yes, of course it would be better with such players but just perhaps the team feels that the scheme will make up for the lack of a superstar.

Sometimes that youthful frenzy can make up for older established talent, especially on defense.

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:

Interesting thought. And you're probably right to some degree. Cover two defenses, for example, don't require top cover corners. Just corners who can tackle. Mike Zimmer actually joked once that you can go pick up a cover-two corner at the 7-11 in Bloomington. 

It sounds like that what a Flores defense requires most is versatility, which would seem to require knowledge and experience. A bit of a scary thought considering how young this defense is. 

This year's Viking team is going to be entertaining, that's for sure. 

@"VikingOracle" said:

Interesting thought. And you're probably right to some degree. Cover two defenses, for example, don't require top cover corners. Just corners who can tackle. Mike Zimmer actually joked once that you can go pick up a cover-two corner at the 7-11 in Bloomington. 

It sounds like that what a Flores defense requires most is versatility, which would seem to require knowledge and experience. A bit of a scary thought considering how young this defense is. 

I should know better than to type this, but it couldn't be worse than last years debacle...

could it?  :p

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:

I should know better than to type this, but it couldn't be worse than last years debacle...

Depends on what you mean by worse I guess. In terms of rankings, I have no idea. I just have a hunch we're going to make a lot of big plays (sacks, turnovers, picks) and we're going to give up a lot of big plays via QBs who know how to take advantage of the blitz and young defenders frequently out of position. 

How that shakes out is anyone's guess. 

@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:

Depends on what you mean by worse I guess. In terms of rankings, I have no idea. I just have a hunch we're going to make a lot of big plays (sacks, turnovers, picks) and we're going to give up a lot of big plays via QBs who know how to take advantage of the blitz and young defenders frequently out of position. 

thats how I see it as well,  it will be a feast or famine year for D,  unfortunately they will face a lot of experienced QB this year so it might be a pretty lean year for those that enjoy watching a dominate Vikings D.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:

thats how I see it as well,  it will be a feast or famine year for D,  unfortunately they will face a lot of experienced QB this year so it might be a pretty lean year for those that enjoy watching a dominate Vikings D.
Just my opinion, but the faster we get back to 4-3 football with an emphasis on a dominant defensive line, is when we will see a significant jump and getting back to Minnesota Vikings football. Fuck this 3-4, fancy blitz packages, and flanking out our best passrusjers out into coverage. Look at the top defenses last year; San Francisco, Philly, Dallas, Washington, Buffalo, New Orleans, the Jets...the common theme is they run a 4-3. I know KOC goal is to turn us into the Midwest Rams, but come on! That's not Vikings football 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:

Just my opinion, but the faster we get back to 4-3 football with an emphasis on a dominant defensive line, is when we will see a significant jump and getting back to Minnesota Vikings football. Fuck this 3-4, fancy blitz packages, and flanking out our best passrusjers out into coverage. Look at the top defenses last year; San Francisco, Philly, Dallas, Washington, Buffalo, New Orleans, the Jets...the common theme is they run a 4-3. I know KOC goal is to turn us into the Midwest Rams, but come on! That's not Vikings football 
I am not a fan of the 34 either,  but it does get more hands in passing lanes at that quick hitter level of the passing game,   just as last year though.... we dont have the people to do it right.  and this offseason didnt really do much to improve that IMO.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:

Much less so than previous years. Due mostly to the Rodgers trade, the Vikings have an unusual amount of young QBs on their schedule this year.

Then you throw in Bryce Young, Brock Purdy, Desmond Ridder, the too-easily confused Baker Mayfield and whatever jabrone they throw out in Vegas, and BFlo should be able to dial up the dogs much more often than not.