Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ed Donatell....bub bye
Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Yes, you can feel the love in that, can't you? 

Think he'd just say yes if it were yes.  But it's a corporate-speak organization.
Noticed that. They talked a lot but said very little.

Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Think he'd just say yes if it were yes.  But it's a corporate-speak organization.
Why would he just say yes if he hasn't talked to him yet or in fact hasn't decided?

I want Donatell gone as much as anyone but no way would I want KOC telling the world his decision, if he's made one, if he hasn't told the man personally.

Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
@"comet52" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Why would he just say yes if he hasn't talked to him yet or in fact hasn't decided?

I want Donatell gone as much as anyone but no way would I want KOC telling the world his decision, if he's made one, if he hasn't told the man personally.
This. Ed is a human being, let KOC treat him like one no matter what the decision is. 

I would also think that they wouldn't make any decision until they have a replacement plan in place and that may require another week or two if their primary candidate is still actively coaching in the playoffs.  Also that candidate may be already talking with whatever DC he is currently working with about following him to a new team,  so lots of pieces may need to fall into place before we could have a replacement in hand. 

I think what they're doing is the right thing. Stupid people make stupid, rash decisions based on popular opinion and without proper evaluation. And KAM does not strike me as stupid. 

Let the process work. It's obvious the defense needs a complete reevaluation, from players and contracts to scheme and coaching staff. I think you have to approach all of that holistically and formulate short term and long term plans before you start to lopping heads. 

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
Can't just shit can Ed without shit caning the scheme. Of the teams that run this scheme, none of them are successful. So running the same scheme with a different coach isn't likely to improve results. The same with bringing in players to better fit the scheme. At least a handful of teams primarily run this scheme each with their own set of players, they aren't successful. The scheme is flawed.
Ed needs to go and take the scheme out the door with him!
Can you be more specific on which scheme you are referring to? There are several variations of the 3-4. The one Donatell runs with the 2 deep Safety Shell is not common among 3-4 Teams. I believe the Vikings used the most 2 Deep Safety Shell formation of any team in the NFL. A lot of people have been referring to Ed's scheme as a permanent Prevent Defense which I agree with that description. You are correct it doesn't work and he shouldn't be back but these are the teams that use some variation of the 3-4. As of 2022, NFL teams that regularly incorporate the 3–4 defensive alignment scheme as a base include the Green Bay PackersLos Angeles RamsLos Angeles ChargersSeattle SeahawksPittsburgh SteelersBaltimore RavensAtlanta FalconsNew York GiantsMinnesota VikingsMiami DolphinsTampa Bay BuccaneersDenver BroncosNew England PatriotsTennessee TitansJacksonville Jaguars and Arizona Cardinals

Of those listed, I'm going to highlight a couple. First the Giants and Wink Martindale. He uses a 3-4 front, but he is anything but passive. His Blitz rate is the highest in the NFL and he is one of the most aggressive coordinators at attacking the QB which I don't have to remind anyone of fresh off the Vikings' loss. His version of the 3-4 looks nothing like Donatell's. Next up the Broncos who had the second highest rated defense in the NFL this year and were also 2nd for fewest points allowed. As we know, that wasn't the Vikings who had a negative points differential. Credit goes to Ejiro Evero the Broncos' DC who has used elements of other 3-4 schemes he's learned over the years while also sprinkling in his own elements to keep teams off balance and guessing what's coming. We were told that's what we would be getting with Donatell, but as we found out not all 3-4 schemes are the same and both KAM and KOC shoulder a lot of blame for letting the shit show that was our defense continue all season long until it cost us a playoff game. My point is that you can't lump 3-4 schemes together because they all have different variations and as I pointed out several teams are having success with their version of the scheme.   

Quote: @"medaille" said:
KOC’s job being at risk because of Donatell only occurs if
he makes his decision in a vacuum or vouches for Donatell.  If a bunch of smart front office people get
together and come to a consensus, it would be a much bigger problem if they
threw KOC under the bus after their group decision failed.  While I think everyone is super impatient and
heads must roll, I don’t think they are at tremendous risk of ruining next year
by missing out on the perfect DC option by taking a couple days to figure out a
full plan rather than shitcanning Donatell and then figuring out a plan.
Agree with this. If/when KOC fires ED I expect he will be very complimentary and respectful and will thank him for all his hard work and leadership throughout the season, even going so far as to say that he was a big part of the 13 wins. But if KOC insists on running it back with ED over everyone's objections and we get another year of lousy defense, KOC will be toast.

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
Can't just shit can Ed without shit caning the scheme. Of the teams that run this scheme, none of them are successful. So running the same scheme with a different coach isn't likely to improve results. The same with bringing in players to better fit the scheme. At least a handful of teams primarily run this scheme each with their own set of players, they aren't successful. The scheme is flawed.
Ed needs to go and take the scheme out the door with him!
I don't know about this. I don't question your assessment that teams running this scheme are not having success. But I question whether KOC is ready to dump the scheme together with ED. He may see that as throwing out the baby with the bathwater. I thought KOC liked the 3-4 because it caused him problems. He may be quite willing to hold onto one decision (the 3-4) but move away from another (ED as DC).

KAM and KOC both millennials. Come from the culture of everyone gets a trophy. [Image: 1agscmdu1d55.gif]

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
KAM and KOC both millennials. Come from the culture of everyone gets a trophy. [Image: 1agscmdu1d55.gif]

We pick 23rd.  Isn't that 9th place?