Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forgive student debt, yes or no?
What happens after you forgive todays debtors.  Are they going to forgive future debtors every ten years.
My guess is the next push will be towars free college education for all.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
I am back and forth on this one. Tuition prices are ridiculous. Student loans are a racket. Reform is needed all around. And yet some people are just drowning in debt. I get that Bobby chose to study anthropology or even worse spent 7 years in college trying to find himself. Maybe he didn't know what he wanted to do. That's where mentorship and shadowing could help. I also think maybe some people need a gap year. There is a lot of pressure to prepare for college and if you don't know what you want, maybe waiting a year could help. I also get being responsible and making good choices. Don't take out more than you need and don't be stupid with the money. But we have bailed out the auto industry, banks and numerous other agencies, I am thinking giving some of the masses a break may be a good investment in the future. I especially like that those that were defrauded by some schools are getting their loans forgiven. Government is so quick to help corporations but when it comes to the majority of regular people not so much. 
Masses?  What % of the masses are we talking about here?   And do more wrongs make the wrongs of the last somehow less wrong?  It was wrong to bailout wall street, auto makers ( by the way Ford didn't take the money which is a big reason I now own all Ford vehicles) and people upside down in their home loans.  At what point to adults have to live with their bad choices?  And why is it that paying for those bad choice bailouts always come at the expense of the same group of people,  the working middle class of this country can't afford any more of this feel good bull shit,  not subsidizing a war effort,  not any of this shit,  if they think they have money to be pissing away... how about paying down our debt so that maybe when these kids do find a job for their worthless degrees they won't be buried with sky rocketing taxes and a dollar that isn't worth shit because the govt kept printing them to pay for stupid fucking people making their stupid fucking decisions other people's problems. 
Not sure why you think the dollar isn't worth anything, its at a 20 year high right now: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/ask...the-dollar

The problem I have with bailing out student loans is the same problem I have any time Democrats want to tax and spend our money on social programs like this: there are exceptions that shouldn't be included. Some of these kids didn't even use their student loan money on college, they bought cars and vacations with it. Remember a few years ago when Bernie was running to be the Democratic candidate for President and he wanted to abolish all student loan debt? ABC News or somebody like that ran a story on a girl at a Sanders rally that held up a sign that said "$156,000 in student loan debt"...just a random person. It turns out this girl didn't spend any of the money on school and bought a bunch of personal shit. She just wanted to debt gone. 

Not a huge National Review fan but sometimes there's some nuggets in there, like this:
https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/08/b...-screw-em/
Your good take on the student loan issue aside, your "dollar isn't bad" take is complete shit.  Why do I think that?  Cuz of inflation.  Paying more than double what I was for gas, food is going thru the roof, other items are as well.  

So, take the PBS crap and see if you can eat it, because their case is as inflated as real costs right now.

Quote: @greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
I am back and forth on this one. Tuition prices are ridiculous. Student loans are a racket. Reform is needed all around. And yet some people are just drowning in debt. I get that Bobby chose to study anthropology or even worse spent 7 years in college trying to find himself. Maybe he didn't know what he wanted to do. That's where mentorship and shadowing could help. I also think maybe some people need a gap year. There is a lot of pressure to prepare for college and if you don't know what you want, maybe waiting a year could help. I also get being responsible and making good choices. Don't take out more than you need and don't be stupid with the money. But we have bailed out the auto industry, banks and numerous other agencies, I am thinking giving some of the masses a break may be a good investment in the future. I especially like that those that were defrauded by some schools are getting their loans forgiven. Government is so quick to help corporations but when it comes to the majority of regular people not so much. 
Masses?  What % of the masses are we talking about here?   And do more wrongs make the wrongs of the last somehow less wrong?  It was wrong to bailout wall street, auto makers ( by the way Ford didn't take the money which is a big reason I now own all Ford vehicles) and people upside down in their home loans.  At what point to adults have to live with their bad choices?  And why is it that paying for those bad choice bailouts always come at the expense of the same group of people,  the working middle class of this country can't afford any more of this feel good bull shit,  not subsidizing a war effort,  not any of this shit,  if they think they have money to be pissing away... how about paying down our debt so that maybe when these kids do find a job for their worthless degrees they won't be buried with sky rocketing taxes and a dollar that isn't worth shit because the govt kept printing them to pay for stupid fucking people making their stupid fucking decisions other people's problems. 
Not sure why you think the dollar isn't worth anything, its at a 20 year high right now: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/ask...the-dollar

The problem I have with bailing out student loans is the same problem I have any time Democrats want to tax and spend our money on social programs like this: there are exceptions that shouldn't be included. Some of these kids didn't even use their student loan money on college, they bought cars and vacations with it. Remember a few years ago when Bernie was running to be the Democratic candidate for President and he wanted to abolish all student loan debt? ABC News or somebody like that ran a story on a girl at a Sanders rally that held up a sign that said "$156,000 in student loan debt"...just a random person. It turns out this girl didn't spend any of the money on school and bought a bunch of personal shit. She just wanted to debt gone. 

Not a huge National Review fan but sometimes there's some nuggets in there, like this:
Your good take on the student loan issue aside, your "dollar isn't bad" take is complete shit.  Why do I think that?  Cuz of inflation.  Paying more than double what I was for gas, food is going thru the roof, other items are as well.  

So, take the PBS crap and see if you can eat it, because their case is as inflated as real costs right now.
Damn PBS....been messing up this country and leading us straight to hell since 1970. 

I hear Lauren Boebert is now in support of this, since she was told the GED council would refund the $24.99 education debt she incurred, in full.

It looks like the Catholic church got between 1.4 and 3.5 billion in PPP loans. That seems like another example of corruption to me. There is so much corporate welfare that is occurring and no one says anything about it. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:

Damn PBS....been messing up this country and leading us straight to hell since 1970. 

I wasn't complaining about PBS, but rather about your take.  My experience in the world tells me that the dollar is worth much less than it used to be.  Seems logical considering the trillions our govt wants to give away to foreign countries and billionaires.  

Quote: @greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
@greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:

I wasn't complaining about PBS, but rather about your take.  My experience in the world tells me that the dollar is worth much less than it used to be.  Seems logical considering the trillions our govt wants to give away to foreign countries and billionaires.  
and the fact that in order to do so they are just printing more,  not actually doing anything to acquire the money to give away,  just printing it and devaluing the dollars that are already in circulation.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
It looks like the Catholic church got between 1.4 and 3.5 billion in PPP loans. That seems like another example of corruption to me. There is so much corporate welfare that is occurring and no one says anything about it. 
you want to talk about it,  lets take a real deep dive into all the organizations getting govt assistance or tax free status.  IMO very very few organizations should benefit from tax exempt status, "churches" being a major one.

where did you get this information?  I dont know that I would call it corruption on the churches part, unless you think buffet taking advantage of the tax laws to not pay anywhere near the effective tax rate that most working class people would have to pay... the problem is the system...and thousands of new IRS agents are only going to make it worse.  we need to fix our tax code in this country.  I cant really think of many organizations that should be tax exempt except those that are volunteer like local FDs and Ambulances that run on volunteer labor.   All these so called entities that pay people to run them need to have their tax status evaluated.  or entities that receive money and then funnel it to campaigns and other such shit that it wasnt intended for.  the list is pretty much endless when looking for abuses.

Yeah it's standard operating procedure for many corporations and organizations to take advantage of the tax code. I definitely agree that churches should not be tax exempt, lots of opportunities to hide money. Tax codes are another area for reform no doubt but many of the wealthy are going to resist it. There was an investigation regarding PPP loans, the LA archdiocese received 80 million. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
Yeah it's standard operating procedure for many corporations and organizations to take advantage of the tax code. I definitely agree that churches should not be tax exempt, lots of opportunities to hide money. Tax codes are another area for reform no doubt but many of the wealthy are going to resist it. 
screw em... if its not a volunteer public service organization then it shouldnt be a non profit.   lots and lots of people getting rich off the tax free donations to all sorts of organizations that only serve segments of the population.  our tax system could be made a lot simpler if there werent so many ways to hid taxes out there through charitable entities that end up benefitting the donor.  I wonder how often the IRS crawls up the ass of the non profits and such.  I know I was told  by a legislative person a few years ago when I asked why the govt doesnt go after religious groups for tax issues and I was told that the largest and most powerful law firms in the country are on retainer by a group that exists to protect the tax status of religious organizations ( he specifically mentioned the Jewish and Catholic Churches, but said they all pay in and get protection from ) and they could bankrupt a state or other entity in court if they ever made a serious effort to take away the protections that the "churches" have.