Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup QB $hit show
Quote: While Willis is likely to spend the upcoming season as Tannehill's understudy, head coach Mike Vrabel has been impressed with his young quarterback thus far during training camp.
"I think his ability to move on to the next play, to be able to process things quickly and understand when (a play) was a mistake and being able to be coached has been great," he told reporters. "As we move forward here, in some of the stuff that we're doing, to be able to handle the operation (and) making sure it's clean (is a priority). His ability to recover from a snap that he wasn't at his best, I think he's done a really nice job."
I am not saying Willis would have been the answer, but he sure sounds like he is doing better than Mond and I believe was worth taking a shot on when he was there in the 3rd instead of taking a LB who is going to be a backup.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@1VikesFan said:
@pattersaur said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Mond is in his 3rd system in as many years,  and only his second year as a pro,  we talked last December that 2021 is a throw away year for many players due to the shit that Zimmer was pulling,   IMO I still stand by that.  I am going to reserve judgement at least until camp is over.  I dont think Mond got much of a chance to grow and learn last year so maybe this is the year he gains confidence and makes some strides.
Yep. There’s an 80-85% chance Mond stinks. But that’s still a shot. We know for a certified fact that Mannion does. Would much rather see Mond be the QB2 this year and if he’s not, that’s pretty damning. 
Where the hell did you come up that percentage?? Mond might surprise people with the the right coaching 

I came up with it based on my opinion of the situation and of all the info, highlights, and news we've heard about Mond. Giving him a 15-20% chance of being a good QB/future starter at this point seems pretty fair to me. Like Jimmy said, maybe I'm being too optimistic. My point was though he has a chance. Mannion is just dust at this point so I hope Mond can knock him off the roster.
I don't know that it matters. I can't say for sure since I haven't been to camp, but most reports I'm reading suggest that neither has looked very good. If we had to start one of them in a real game, I doubt we'd stand much of a chance. 

People talk about our lack of movement at the center position, but I'm beginning to wonder if the one decision that comes back to haunt us is the lack of action at backup QB. Will the Vikings address this via trade before the season? 
why?  when people here were pissed that the team resigned Mannion we were assured that it was a non issue... why is it suddenly an issue that would warrant trading away assets to correct when it wasnt one 4 months ago?  It wasnt because Mond had shown ready to take a big jump,  and it certainly wasnt because Mannion has ever given any reason to assume he could do the job.

IMO,  fuck it,  we have what we have,  if Cousins misses time then it turns into a drive for the draft,  I think I heard "suck for CJ" will be the chant.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
https://twitter.com/SeanBormanNFL/status...9411041280
As long as they arent wasting resources on a rental journeyman back up that has no chance at being part of a future here.

PLAYER (18 OF 16)POS.AGEFROMTOYRSDOLLARSAAVTOTAL GTDGTD AT SIGN2022 CAPPOTENTIAL OUT
AVAILABLE PLAYERS (16)POS.AGEFROMTO
Ryan FitzpatrickQB39WASTBD-
Cam NewtonQB33CARTBD-
Mike GlennonQB32NYGTBD-
A.J. McCarronQB31ATLTBD-
Garrett GilbertQB31LVTBD-
Nate StanleyQB24MINTBD-
Kevin HoganQB29HOUTBD-
Kurt BenkertQB27GBTBD-
Anthony GordonQB25KCTBD-
Ryan WillisQB25CHITBD-
Felix HarperQBCLETBD-
Davis CheekQB23CARTBD-
Levi LewisQBSEATBD-
D’Eriq KingQBNETBD-
Kyle SloterQB28JACTBD-
Cole KelleyQBWASTBD-

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@1VikesFan said:
@pattersaur said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Mond is in his 3rd system in as many years,  and only his second year as a pro,  we talked last December that 2021 is a throw away year for many players due to the shit that Zimmer was pulling,   IMO I still stand by that.  I am going to reserve judgement at least until camp is over.  I dont think Mond got much of a chance to grow and learn last year so maybe this is the year he gains confidence and makes some strides.
Yep. There’s an 80-85% chance Mond stinks. But that’s still a shot. We know for a certified fact that Mannion does. Would much rather see Mond be the QB2 this year and if he’s not, that’s pretty damning. 
Where the hell did you come up that percentage?? Mond might surprise people with the the right coaching 

I came up with it based on my opinion of the situation and of all the info, highlights, and news we've heard about Mond. Giving him a 15-20% chance of being a good QB/future starter at this point seems pretty fair to me. Like Jimmy said, maybe I'm being too optimistic. My point was though he has a chance. Mannion is just dust at this point so I hope Mond can knock him off the roster.
I don't know that it matters. I can't say for sure since I haven't been to camp, but most reports I'm reading suggest that neither has looked very good. If we had to start one of them in a real game, I doubt we'd stand much of a chance. 

People talk about our lack of movement at the center position, but I'm beginning to wonder if the one decision that comes back to haunt us is the lack of action at backup QB. Will the Vikings address this via trade before the season? 
why?  when people here were pissed that the team resigned Mannion we were assured that it was a non issue... why is it suddenly an issue that would warrant trading away assets to correct when it wasnt one 4 months ago?  It wasnt because Mond had shown ready to take a big jump,  and it certainly wasnt because Mannion has ever given any reason to assume he could do the job.

IMO,  fuck it,  we have what we have,  if Cousins misses time then it turns into a drive for the draft,  I think I heard "suck for CJ" will be the chant.
The issue isn't with Mannion; it's with Mond. Mannion is what he always was. It's Mond who doesn't appear to be stepping up. 

I believe they actually brought in Kevin Hogan a few weeks ago. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
https://twitter.com/SeanBormanNFL/status...9411041280
I don't understand how they did not know this prior to now, I would imagine the coaches had video from last years practices as well the mini camps, if Mond is as bad as the reports, how did they not see this coming?

They should have listened to Zimmer  =)

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@1VikesFan said:
@pattersaur said:
@JimmyinSD said:

The issue isn't with Mannion; it's with Mond. Mannion is what he always was. It's Mond who doesn't appear to be stepping up. 
well if they hadnt wasted a roster spot and money on Mannion, they could have signed another QB to compete with Mond for the #2 spot, so yes it most certainly is an issue with Mannion and the insanity of resigning him.  carrying and paying a back up player that you have no intention of ever actually playing or developing is just plain ass stupid,  and its now been done by 2 GMs.