Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Request Interview For DC/Other Positions
I'm surprised there's been this much activity to fill out the staff....Where the hell is he finding the time???

I guess O'Connell really is happening lol!

Vikings and a 3/4 D??? I cant wrap my head around that at all

I thought O'Connell couldn't be involved til after the SB, if so who's interviewing these candidates?? Kwase I guess, just seems you'd want the head coach involved.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
DC will likely end up being Pleasant. Told he is the favorite candidate and it isn't particularly close. Based on some of the posts above, I agree he would be a solid hire. 1st time DC but a proven track record with young players which is a plus when you need to rebuild that side of the ball. 
Pretty much a lock to go 3-4 then?

Jordan Davis and Travis Jones just became more attractive.

I hope not, but what am I missing here with Pleasant? The Lions were abysmal last year defensively. 31st in the league in points allowed and ranked 30th in sacks. That was a terrible defense that didn't do anything well. Why would we bring in an assistant coach from the knee cappers to install a completely new defense here in Minnesota? As much as people bitch about our defense last year (and rightfully so) the Lions were worse. 

[Image: MaAIgBaS_normal.jpg]
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
· 3m
The #Giants are planning to hire former #Ravens defensive coordinator Don “Wink” Martindale as their new DC, sources say. He was their top outside candidate choice and with Patrick Graham going to the #Raiders, Martindale steps in for NYG.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I'm surprised there's been this much activity to fill out the staff....Where the hell is he finding the time???

I guess O'Connell really is happening lol!

Vikings and a 3/4 D??? I cant wrap my head around that at all
Won't have to worry about slim pickings. They are doing their due diligence. I love it 

@"Geoff Nichols" said:
DC will likely end up being Pleasant. Told he is the favorite candidate and it isn't particularly close. Based on some of the posts above, I agree he would be a solid hire. 1st time DC but a proven track record with young players which is a plus when you need to rebuild that side of the ball. 

I wouldn't necessarily assume that. I would say that it makes it more likely, but the personnel is just funky if they want to go the 3-4 route. You have Pierce/Tomlinson who can play 34 but you're then projecting Hunter to become a standup EDGE rusher. Kendricks doesn't fit a 3-4 in any of the LB spots. So you're basically taking a weak unit and negating your best players. So unless they have their eyes on entirely gutting that side of the ball I think they may stick in a 4-3 with some 3-4 alignments. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

I wouldn't necessarily assume that. I would say that it makes it more likely, but the personnel is just funky if they want to go the 3-4 route. You have Pierce/Tomlinson who can play 34 but you're then projecting Hunter to become a standup EDGE rusher. Kendricks doesn't fit a 3-4 in any of the LB spots. So you're basically taking a weak unit and negating your best players. So unless they have their eyes on entirely gutting that side of the ball I think they may stick in a 4-3 with some 3-4 alignments. 

Exactly my thoughts. Our best players on defense aren't a great fit in a 3-4 and it's frankly difficult to get the right personnel to run it effectively. I'd hate to see the new coaching staff try to completely reinvent the wheel here defensively. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Really depends on the type of 3-4 that you run. If your DL is built solely with 2 gap guys, you definitely stand up Hunter. So, in that case, he's like Chandler Jones.

But, I don't think 3-4 definitively equates to Hunter standing up. Plenty of 3-4 alignments have a 0 or shade, a 3T, and a 5. Again, Hunter could easily play the 5 with Wonnum standing. 

Kendricks isn't your classic 3-4 iLB, but he wouldn't be rendered moot. In today's NFL, iLB that can cover and blitz will always fill a role. Draft a guy like Davis or Jones, pair Kendricks with a guy like Leo Chenel, land an early round CB. 

Viola, 3-4.

@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Really depends on the type of 3-4 that you run. If your DL is built solely with 2 gap guys, you definitely stand up Hunter. So, in that case, he's like Chandler Jones.

But, I don't think 3-4 definitively equates to Hunter standing up. Plenty of 3-4 alignments have a 0 or shade, a 3T, and a 5. Again, Hunter could easily play the 5 with Wonnum standing. 

Kendricks isn't your classic 3-4 iLB, but he wouldn't be rendered moot. In today's NFL, iLB that can cover and blitz will always fill a role. Draft a guy like Davis or Jones, pair Kendricks with a guy like Leo Chenel, land an early round CB. 

Viola, 3-4.
Yeah i cant agree that we are not in good shape in a 3-4. Pierce, Tomlinson, Watts and Kendricks would excel I think. Dhunt is critical I agree.  No reason you cant keep his hand in the dirt if the look doesnt dictate otherwise. 

Im not counting on Barr as i think he is toast, we are gonna have to soend some major capital on LB this offseason 

I wouldn’t be shocked to see them move on from Hunter, especially if they go to a 3-4. He's extremely expensive for a guy who hasn’t played much in a league that’s wired as “what have you done for me lately”. 
I agree with Guru, I think it’s a tough proposition to move to a 3-4 in one year with our personnel. Not impossible, but difficult nonetheless. 
If I were to do it, I would trade Hunter and add some experienced pieces. You could probably add 2-3 good vets with his salary. The key would be finding those Linebackers/standup guys. There will be a couple in free agency, but it’s hard to say how crazy the prices will get this year. The draft may be the place to go, but we could also use a cornerback. The good news draft wise is this draft is awesome for really athletic edge rushers and cornerbacks.