Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watson to the Vikings???
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/salaries/bre...arterback/

Watson will take a bigger bite out of the cap. Is this what we want? I thought we wanted to free up cap?

[Image: tnhla7h193np.jpeg]
Out w/ the plexiglass & in w/ the massage table…!?  :o Confused

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:

Watson will take a bigger bite out of the cap. Is this what we want? I thought we wanted to free up cap?
Maybe...  maybe not?  It all depends on how willing he is to be flexible on his contract.  We've had Kirk who's been a fan of short term deals that are basically fully guaranteed with little cap flexibility...  maybe Watson would be more willing to do a longer deal where we can spread out his cap hit to be more manageable?

Either way this is a very unlikely hypothetical.  I wouldn't judge Kirk as harshly if he were more willing to work with the Vikings on managing our cap instead of trying to be the pioneer for guaranteed contracts in the NFL.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:

Maybe...  maybe not?  It all depends on how willing he is to be flexible on his contract.  We've had Kirk who's been a fan of short term deals that are basically fully guaranteed with little cap flexibility...  maybe Watson would be more willing to do a longer deal where we can spread out his cap hit to be more manageable?

Either way this is a very unlikely hypothetical.  I wouldn't judge Kirk as harshly if he were more willing to work with the Vikings on managing our cap instead of trying to be the pioneer for guaranteed contracts in the NFL.
He's expressed some willingness to play ball, cap wise. We'll see. 

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:

He's expressed some willingness to play ball, cap wise. We'll see. 

Agree.  It's what the Vikings are willing to pay and what Cousins is willing to accept.

Watson comes with baggage, he and his agent must know they have to be flexible in compensation.  Even if his legal issues are behind he is still a risk just from PR.

I think he would be more motivated to a team friendly contract, and the Texans know they are jot going to get a boatload of picks for a guy with that kind of baggage. 

I cant say it would be my first choice but I wouldn't rule it out.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"Zanary" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
My opinion on this probably isn’t going to be popular, but if there was any way in hell to get Watson (assuming of course that his legal troubles were resolved and he’d wave the big bad clause) I would want to do it. A strong new leadership team (new GM and HC) could help rehab his image, IMO. Somehow, I could believe that Watson may wave that clause knowing he’d be throwing to JJ, Thielen and KJ and handing the ball off to Cook. The new leadership team would be pivotal in every way imaginable to make this happen.

I don’t like what Watson has been accused of any more than anyone, but at what point are you willing to give an uber talented player like him another chance? If you feel strong enough about the people you’ve hired to run your team, and you have strength in your organization and believe you absolutely can rehab his image, then you’d be quite stupid not to go after him….

….Just the opinion of 1 Vikings fan who wants to see a SB win before she’s dead…
Here's something about him that I find truly fascinating, in terms of context:

His last full season: 33 TDs, 7 INTs, 4-12, some people are ready to trade the world and pay him likewise to get him.

Cousins last season:  33 TDs, 7 INTs, 7-9, defense gave away many games, "trade him, he can't perform under pressure!!!".

Yes, folks, we live in this world.
Hey, way to cherry pick stats...  Watson also led the Texans to 10 and 11 wins the two years prior...  Made the playoffs twice in his first 4 seasons...  

Kirk has led the Vikings to one playoff appearance in 4 seasons despite having a top 5 defense in 2018 and 2019... And took the Redskins to the playoffs once in his 4 years stating there...

...aaaaand in terms of cherry picking, as a Vikings fan, you KNOW that Kirk's line has been s**t his whole time here, that the D was showing serious decay in 2019 (Rhodes would be exhibit A), and that Zim's inability to run a passing offense was getting indisputable...

...and, as any fan who'd watched football for more than 3 seconds, you'd know that any Snyder-owned football team was a bipolar sh*tshow....

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
@"Zanary" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
My opinion on this probably isn’t going to be popular, but if there was any way in hell to get Watson (assuming of course that his legal troubles were resolved and he’d wave the big bad clause) I would want to do it. A strong new leadership team (new GM and HC) could help rehab his image, IMO. Somehow, I could believe that Watson may wave that clause knowing he’d be throwing to JJ, Thielen and KJ and handing the ball off to Cook. The new leadership team would be pivotal in every way imaginable to make this happen.

I don’t like what Watson has been accused of any more than anyone, but at what point are you willing to give an uber talented player like him another chance? If you feel strong enough about the people you’ve hired to run your team, and you have strength in your organization and believe you absolutely can rehab his image, then you’d be quite stupid not to go after him….

….Just the opinion of 1 Vikings fan who wants to see a SB win before she’s dead…
Here's something about him that I find truly fascinating, in terms of context:

His last full season: 33 TDs, 7 INTs, 4-12, some people are ready to trade the world and pay him likewise to get him.

Cousins last season:  33 TDs, 7 INTs, 7-9, defense gave away many games, "trade him, he can't perform under pressure!!!".

Yes, folks, we live in this world.
It is interesting that you left out their ages.

Watson did that in his 4th season at the age of 25.

Cousins did that in his 10th season at the age of 33.

Watson had David Johnson & Duke Johnson as his backs, Brandin Cooks, Will Fuller, Randall Cobb, and Jordan Akins as his receivers. His line was ranked 23rd in 2021.

Cousins had Dalvin Cook & Alexander Mattison as his backs, Thielen, JJ, Osborn, and Conklin as his receivers. His line was ranked 23rd in 2020.

What did Cousins do in his actual 4th season at age 27? 29 TDs, 11 INTs, 9-7.

Comparing the two at different ages and different seasons played is not useful.

OK, then...as I did with Wetlander, I guess I can reference the bottom-quarter of the league o-line Cousins has had his whole time here, and that the vaunted Zimmer defense was decaying by 2019...oh, and let's face it: every Vikings board has called our former coach out for his inability to run a passing offense, and/or for being too conservative with a lead.

Throw all that into the blender, let me know how it tastes.