the intangibles KC seriously lacks.  Farve was in total command of the
offense, while Cousins says he's not even allowed to call audibles.  Why
not, seriously?
I don't think it was just Diggs
taking shots at Cousins.  I've heard Rudy, AT, and now JJ say some not so
great things about him too.

Cousins has talent and makes great
throws, but he's such a dork and just lacks the leadership the great QBs
have.  I don't think he’ll ever be a great leader either.
I can understand how some fans feel that way about him...

Will be interesting to see what happens, cause the next HC may see him as a great fit and building block - or not. 

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
KC will end up in Canton just like
Favre too... Not!  We all know there's a big difference between Favre and
KC.  Favre had leadership skills and the team loved him.  These are
not, seriously?

This is kind of harsh but I feel similarly. Vikings fans are quick to point out that Washington hasn’t had a QB worth a hoot since they moved on from Kirk, and that’s true, but are WFT fans clamoring for Kirk’s return?
The rep on him for going on 10 years now is that he puts up stats but isn’t a winner/leader. Thus far both he and the Vikings crummy oline (and bad defense, the past 2 years) have done little to alter this perception.

Maybe next year.

The recipe for success with Cousins at QB is pretty damn simple. Find a coordinator/coach who believes in passing downfield to set up the run is read of the insanity we trotted out this year and get a freaking competent defense. Even a middle of the road defense and we win 12+ games this year and would have been a legit Super Bowl contender. 
Cousins is the least of our concern other than his cap number. You can win a lot of games with a guy like that if you put together a balanced team. Zimmer is a stubborn guy and we have all paid for it. Now it’s time to bring in an up and coming coach.

My sun doesn’t rise and set on Kirk’s butt cheeks either, but if not Kirk who’s our QB? A rookie from what draftniks say is an underwhelming class? Or Mond?? Apparently he’s far from ready. Foles or Dalton? Fitzpatrick?? Watson? Too much unknown future spinning around Deshaun. Teddy???? (I doubt he’d come back here anyway) Cam Newton? Tyrod Taylor? Jacoby Brissett??

Those aren’t all the free agent names, but that’s a pretty ugly list. Careful what you wish for.

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
Brett Favre Vikes 2009 stats:
4202 yards, 33 TDs, 7 Ints

Kirk Cousins 2021 stats:
4221 yards, 33 TDs, 7 Ints

[Image: 1fem648r0u37.gif]
Wow....that is a truly remarkable fact. But once again, most folks are incapable of separating functions on a football team. From GM, to HC to QB, in the minds of many, all are equal and all are equally responsible for each W and each L. 

They need to offer him a contract w/ a check down option, you all know he can’t resist those…!!!  :p 

I don't know why Favre's stats (in 16 games) vs Cousins stats (in 17 games) is posted here in this thread about Cousins willing to restructure?

What is the intent of the person who posted this without any comment besides an image?

It's disingenuous at best.

If I am the Vikings, whether it be with the same GM or new GM, then I am asking him to let the team add two void years to his deal and spreading 15M over 3 years which creates 10M in cap space.

That would be step 1.

Now, Cousins' agent will obviously see this as making it easier to trade him and could ask for a no-trade clause to be added if they accept.  I would not blame him.

At the same time, if I am the Vikings I would say no and insist on him helping out the team. If he and his agent refuse, I go public with the failed attempt at having the QB help the team create cap space.

Cousins would still get his 35M no matter what.

Step 2 would be to discuss what an extension would look like that the team would be comfortable with.  I would not want to go too much past 30M.  Maybe up to 32M?

The top paid QBs all signed their deals at age 27 or younger.

Cousins will be 35 when an extension begins and it is legitimate to wonder how long he can put up good stats and avoid injury. He has been very lucky and durable but sooner or later they all get bit by the injury bug (knock on wood). He is a tough SOB that is for sure.

With the current state of decline the defense is in, will they be able to create enough cap space to sign a few decent free agents and hopefully pick up some solid draftees that probably will have developmental time line.

Zimmer biggest concern when signing a top QB to big bucks is that it took away from other positions they might be able to add players to in free agency.

They didn't just sign defensive free agents either. Alex Boone, Riley Reiff, & Mike Remmers were a few mid to high level signings for the offense during Zimmer's tenure.

Is Kirk Cousins worth 30M plus at age 35, 36, & 37?

Would the team have enough cap space to field a decent defense?

The excuse would be ready made.

I will say that if you look at the box score play by play in several losses you will see way too many drives ending in punts early in a couple of games (maybe a few) and then the offense picks it up later in the game.  But the defense was solid early on when the offense MAY have been able to provide more cushion.

Cant just blame the short handed defense.

Hunter going out really really hurt.

In summary,
I thought this thread about a restructure
I would want to add two void years to his deal first.
I would discuss internally the idea of an extension in relation to the amount and other positions that need bodies.

A decent solution for me is they add the void years and let him play it out next year.

The problem is what would the team do for a QB if they traded him?  There are so many teams needing a QB.  The Vikings could be left with a Marcus Mariota, Kellen Mond, and a rookie perhaps?

At the same time, maybe his market will never be better than right now.

So, in your world, Cousins played 17 games this season?

Cool. 

Further proof the multi verse is real.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
KC will end up in Canton just like
Favre too... Not!  We all know there's a big difference between Favre and
KC.  Favre had leadership skills and the team loved him.  These are
not, seriously?

I can understand how some fans feel that way about him...

Will be interesting to see what happens, cause the next HC may see him as a great fit and building block - or not. 
Agreed, regardless the new HC is going to have him for a year minimum. Probably more obviously if they restructure. Its not like Kirk is a spring chicken, he'll be 34 years old before the start of next season. But he's been very healthy, keeps himself in good shape so he's got a lot of tread on the tires yet. 

Would be facinating to see what a coach like Reid or Belicheat could get out of Kirk.