Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troubling Rumor from Tom Moore
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Makes sense to replace the GM first and then let him determine the coaching situation.   However what concerns me is that I still don't think Zimmer was Rick's pick,  I think that was Parcells influence and this move would make me wonder if he isn't still in their ear and is actually the one running the team.
Why do you say that?  From what I recall, both bonded over being sons of coaches and their love of football.  Obviously any HC pick isn't just the GM's decision, ownership is involved as well, but Spielman seemed all in with Zimmer by the way they talked about each other after he was hired.  Didn't sound like window dressing, seemed genuine.
I always found it too convenient that The Wilfs have always said they use Parcels as a NFL guide at times and that Zimmer had been passed over so many times and when Rick finally gets to hire his own head coach he chooses the guy that the Wilfs mentor has been pimping for so long?  That and I dont really see them as the same type of football guys.   I have my doubts that Rick would be so close minded to developing and utilizing more modern concepts to take advantage of the way the rules have changed.  Zimmer ball seems to still be trying to win the 1995 Superbowl.

I think Rick has learned from Zimmer when it comes to picking players, and he has been complimentary about it.  however I dont know that they are buddies or anything like that.  I just never got the feeling that Zim was Ricks choice.
What is Zimmer ball?  If it's having a strong running game to compliment a play-action passing attack...  you must hate watching the Packers, Rams, Patriots, Ravens, Saints, and 49ers.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Makes sense to replace the GM first and then let him determine the coaching situation.   However what concerns me is that I still don't think Zimmer was Rick's pick,  I think that was Parcells influence and this move would make me wonder if he isn't still in their ear and is actually the one running the team.
Why do you say that?  From what I recall, both bonded over being sons of coaches and their love of football.  Obviously any HC pick isn't just the GM's decision, ownership is involved as well, but Spielman seemed all in with Zimmer by the way they talked about each other after he was hired.  Didn't sound like window dressing, seemed genuine.
I always found it too convenient that The Wilfs have always said they use Parcels as a NFL guide at times and that Zimmer had been passed over so many times and when Rick finally gets to hire his own head coach he chooses the guy that the Wilfs mentor has been pimping for so long?  That and I dont really see them as the same type of football guys.   I have my doubts that Rick would be so close minded to developing and utilizing more modern concepts to take advantage of the way the rules have changed.  Zimmer ball seems to still be trying to win the 1995 Superbowl.

I think Rick has learned from Zimmer when it comes to picking players, and he has been complimentary about it.  however I dont know that they are buddies or anything like that.  I just never got the feeling that Zim was Ricks choice.
What is Zimmer ball?  If it's having a strong running game to compliment a play-action passing attack...  you must hate watching the Packers, Rams, Patriots, Ravens, Saints, and 49ers.
Losing.   That is Zimmer ball.  Those teams are ran by coaches that know how to put teams away.  They know you dont throttle the game,  when things are working you keep doing them until the other team stops them,  if what you are doing isn't working you dont keep doing it hoping that it eventually works,  you change shit up until you find what does work.  Zimmer as a HC is a failure.

Our offense is only like those in base philosophy,   the way they are ran is visibly different and IMO that has a lot to do with the one consistent factor,  the guy that says I've will go down doing it his way.  He needs to go down.

@Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I do think the Wilfs listened to people with their own agendas when hiring both Zimmer and Childress -- people trying to reward Childress and Zimmer more than trying to hire the best coach for the Vikings.

I often think of something in my history, I and a couple friends went to the greyhound races for the first time.  Didn't know anything about how to bet the races.  This older gentleman decided to teach us and recommended some bets.  We lost each time.  Of course, the new mentor made a different bet after us -- "just came to him at the last moment."  He was using our small bets to try to manipulate the moving line (greyhound racing is like nickel slots).  Lesson stuck with me.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I do think the Wilfs listened to people with their own agendas when hiring both Zimmer and Childress -- people trying to reward Childress and Zimmer more than trying to hire the best coach for the Vikings.

I often think of something in my history, I and a couple friends went to the greyhound races for the first time.  Didn't know anything about how to bet the races.  This older gentleman decided to teach us and recommended some bets.  We lost each time.  Of course, the new mentor made a different bet after us -- "just came to him at the last moment."  He was using our small bets to try to manipulate the moving line (greyhound racing is like nickel slots).  Lesson stuck with me.
I bet on the last one to take a shit during the parade lap.  It worked....once

Follow up - Cook and Hunter have been injured alot over the past two years.. If some team is willing to give high draft picks take it. The point is if the Wilfs move on past Zim and Rick then start to let players go also. Start a new culture. Rebuild with new players. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Yep. Its not like a Zimmer offense hasn't produced. Its more about situational football and time management he stinks at. Lots of successful teams use 'Zimmer Ball'......they are just better at the other little things that win ball games. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Yep. Its not like a Zimmer offense hasn't produced. Its more about situational football and time management he stinks at. Lots of successful teams use 'Zimmer Ball'......they are just better at the other little things that win ball games. 

What they are doing is not Zimmer ball in so much as an offensive scheme like wet infers.  Zimmer ball is try to let the air out of the ball will offense when his defense can't stop the opposing team,  instead of continuing to take advantage of what the opposing D is giving.  Zimmer ball is poor situation management like you said. 
Putting it plainly,  he is a shiity HC and his ability to coach up defenses has declined as well,  thus his value is gone.  IMO he is still a brilliant defensive strategist,  but unless he can create schemes around the players he has,  not just the  elite at their positions,  then his time has come.

Really poor history of game chess
I'm not convinced the trenches are very good on either side
Shameful recent track record with DB's
Coordinator decisions going into 21 were poor in retrospect
I'm not convinced things are harmonious in the locker room

@VikingOracle said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I bet on the last one to take a shit during the parade lap.  It worked....once

I am told that the best way to bet on greyhounds is go on a windy day and bet on the heaviest dog.

@JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Zimmer ball is what some blame when the team loses because the offense doesn't score more points than the other team.

They would rather lose because the defense gives up too many points, then they can blame Zimmer D.