Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins & Zim combo needs to end
Do whatever mental gymnastics you have to, but Cousins isn't the fucking problem. 

And, just to restate, I am in no way a Kirk Cousins fan. I think he's a complete nutjob. But, to lay the blame at his feet as so many do is ludicrous.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
Vikings Win Percentage,
When Winning Turnover Battle in Gm,
Franchise History:

1961-2020 = .792

2021 = .285

Damn, we really need to move on from Cousins!
The defense and coaching stinks. Practically no one is disputing that. That fact doesn’t absolve Kirk. It’s 2 different arguments.

Since our big win vs GB when Kirk played great, the Vikings have been in a playoff push and Kirk’s TD:INT ratio is 9:5. Seems pretty mediocre to me. I guess we’ll see what happens at Lambeau this week. Hopefully he’ll rekindle the magic. 

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
Do whatever mental gymnastics you have to, but Cousins isn't the fucking problem. 

And, just to restate, I am in no way a Kirk Cousins fan. I think he's a complete nutjob. But, to lay the blame at his feet as so many do is ludicrous.
I also don't blame Cousins.  He's just not good enough to build a super bowl caliber team around, without an incredible amount of luck or a drop in how much he costs.

Most importantly, it is not either Zimmer or Cousins.

At this point, jettisoning Zimmer is a no brainer.  Just consider this list:
  • Ant Exum
  • Kendall James
  • Jabari Price
  • Trae Waynes
  • Mac Alexander
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Jack Tocho
  • Mike Hughes
  • Marcus Epps
  • Kris Boyd
  • Jeff Gladney
  • Cameron Danzler
  • Harrison Hand
  • Josh Metellus
  • Brian Cole
  • Camryn Bynum.
16 DBs drafted over 8 drafts by the cornerback whisperer.

As for Cousins, teams can win SBs with average QBs and Cousins is better than average.  But he is also a stat collector -- lots of empty stats.  He is also a salary cap consumer.   But I think that what bothers me the most is I don't see him as a charismatic leader.  I may be wrong, but I don't see the team rallying behind him.  I don't see him lifting everyone up.

JMHO.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:

As for Cousins, teams can win SBs with average QBs and Cousins is better than average.  But he is also a stat collector -- lots of empty stats.  He is also a salary cap consumer.   But I think that what bothers me the most is I don't see him as a charismatic leader.  I may be wrong, but I don't see the team rallying behind him.  I don't see him lifting everyone up.

JMHO.

Could not agree more.

I do not want us to try for salary Cap relief next year with Cousins and offer an extension which I think is most likely especially if we keep Spelly.  I want a trade of Cousins or stick with the one year 45 million hit and rip that band aide off so we can start a fresh rebuild which is today's NFL can be a 2 or even a 1 year process if you can nail it.  

Quote: @VikingOracle said:

• Ant Exum
  • Kendall James
  • Jabari Price
  • Trae Waynes
  • Mac Alexander
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Jack Tocho
  • Mike Hughes
  • Marcus Epps
  • Kris Boyd
  • Jeff Gladney
  • Cameron Danzler
  • Harrison Hand
  • Josh Metellus
  • Brian Cole
  • Camryn Bynum.

JMHO.

Agree about Cousins. His lack of fire, swagger, leadership has always been his biggest flaw. But every QB in the NFL is flawed in some way. The question for the Vikings is...are they ready to sacrifice his positives (arm, accuracy, durability) for a little bit of fire? Don't know the answer to that. 

Regarding your DB list, things like that always make me cringe. You can compile a list of all the DBs taken the last 8 years by every NFL team and it's going to look like ass. I'd bet half the players on the list will be out of the NFL.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@VikingOracle said:

• Ant Exum
  • Kendall James
  • Jabari Price
  • Trae Waynes
  • Mac Alexander
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Jack Tocho
  • Mike Hughes
  • Marcus Epps
  • Kris Boyd
  • Jeff Gladney
  • Cameron Danzler
  • Harrison Hand
  • Josh Metellus
  • Brian Cole
  • Camryn Bynum.

Regarding your DB list, things like that always make me cringe. You can compile a list of all the DBs taken the last 8 years by every NFL team and it's going to look like ass. I'd bet half the players on the list will be out of the NFL.

My point is that DBs are Zimmer's specialty, so I think the success of his DB draft picks is a fair way to judge him. 

Quote: @medaille said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
List of QBs to throw for 25+ TDs in 6 consecutive seasons in NFL history:

- Peyton Manning
- Tom Brady
- Drew Brees
- Philip Rivers
- KIRK COUSINS*

*The longest ACTIVE streak in the league

Mediocre.

Hokay.
You have your opinion.  It's not an uncommon opinion.  That said, it's also not close to unanimous.   Probably half the Washington fans and half the Viking fans wouldn't be too bothered with him not being on their team.  Looking at various QB Power Rankings, he's almost always in the 10-20 range.

Looking at the stat you posted.  25 TDs isn't top TD caliber.  It's 10-15 caliber on any given season in the modern time period.  What it really says is that he's consistently available and doesn't get injured and is in the top half of the league.
Half the Washington fans and half the Vikings fans have no clue what they are talking about.

Anyone saying Cousins is the problem is being irrational. The guy is currently playing with a broken freaking rib, in a true joke of an offensive scheme, yet still getting it done. I was at the game and Barr can piss off. The crowd was jacked until the same stupid play calling began. Having watched on tv prior, I recognized how poor the play calling was, but live it’s simply unbelievable. They ran the same freaking run play (or iteration of) 3 flipping times and took a loss of yards on first down every single time. That’s a crowd killer. 5 yard outs when you need more yards for the first? Check. It’s a simplistic offense run by a poor offensive coordinator. In my opinion they’d be 10X better off just allowing Cousins to call the offense.

The defensive play calling is little different. Soft zones at stupid times, little willingness to blitz either run or pass, and no answer schematically for stopping a running game that was not complicated. Zimmer doesn’t seem capable of adjusting on the fly. It’s wait until halftime while sticking with what is clearly not working. It’s maddening and it decimated the crowd. 
This team needs some better personnel, but the reason why we are loosing games is almost entirely due to poor coaching/play calling. Period. End of story.

Let’s be honest, no one rational is foolish enough to claim Cousins isn’t a good QB. We all know what the problem we have with Cousins is - his massive cap killing contract. It’s always been his huge contract. He puts us in position to win all the time. He does contribute mightily to winning big games. He nearly always does his part - except for allowing a more cap friendly contract. This off season he needs to do his part in a new contract that helps this team create room to put a more competitive team on the field. Had Spielman made the grown up decision and drafted Mac Jones like I wanted to, this would be a much easier decision to deal with. Since he ignored my emails (haha) and went LT, Cousins has to remain our guy. 

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:

Half the Washington fans and half the Vikings fans have no clue what they are talking about.

Anyone saying Cousins is the problem is being irrational. The guy is currently playing with a broken freaking rib, in a true joke of an offensive scheme, yet still getting it done. I was at the game and Barr can piss off. The crowd was jacked until the same stupid play calling began. Having watched on tv prior, I recognized how poor the play calling was, but live it’s simply unbelievable. They ran the same freaking run play (or iteration of) 3 flipping times and took a loss of yards on first down every single time. That’s a crowd killer. 5 yard outs when you need more yards for the first? Check. It’s a simplistic offense run by a poor offensive coordinator. In my opinion they’d be 10X better off just allowing Cousins to call the offense.

The defensive play calling is little different. Soft zones at stupid times, little willingness to blitz either run or pass, and no answer schematically for stopping a running game that was not complicated. Zimmer doesn’t seem capable of adjusting on the fly. It’s wait until halftime while sticking with what is clearly not working. It’s maddening and it decimated the crowd. 
This team needs some better personnel, but the reason why we are loosing games is almost entirely due to poor coaching/play calling. Period. End of story.

Let’s be honest, no one rational is foolish enough to claim Cousins isn’t a good QB. We all know what the problem we have with Cousins is - his massive cap killing contract. It’s always been his huge contract. He puts us in position to win all the time. He does contribute mightily to winning big games. He nearly always does his part - except for allowing a more cap friendly contract. This off season he needs to do his part in a new contract that helps this team create room to put a more competitive team on the field. Had Spielman made the grown up decision and drafted Mac Jones like I wanted to, this would be a much easier decision to deal with. Since he ignored my emails (haha) and went LT, Cousins has to remain our guy. 
I'll say this a second time, I don't think Cousins is the problem.  He's good enough to make the playoffs sometimes.  He's just not good enough to build a super bowl caliber team around,
without an incredible amount of luck or a drop in how much he costs.  I think a fair Cousins contract that gives us a chance to win with him at QB is around $20-25M a year.  I don't think that's possible though.  The NFL vastly overpays non-elite QBs.
I do agree that most of our current problems are coaching related.  I think Zimmer screwed the pooch when he decided to go into the season with Klint, Adam and Andre as the OC/DCs.  The defense is lacking fundamentals.  Klint shows moments of good and bad.  I think there's probably not enough Zimmer to plug all the holes in his coaching staff, and he's never really been that interested in the offense anyway.

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
@medaille said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
List of QBs to throw for 25+ TDs in 6 consecutive seasons in NFL history:

- Peyton Manning
- Tom Brady
- Drew Brees
- Philip Rivers
- KIRK COUSINS*

*The longest ACTIVE streak in the league

Mediocre.

Hokay.
You have your opinion.  It's not an uncommon opinion.  That said, it's also not close to unanimous.   Probably half the Washington fans and half the Viking fans wouldn't be too bothered with him not being on their team.  Looking at various QB Power Rankings, he's almost always in the 10-20 range.

Looking at the stat you posted.  25 TDs isn't top TD caliber.  It's 10-15 caliber on any given season in the modern time period.  What it really says is that he's consistently available and doesn't get injured and is in the top half of the league.

EXACTLY. Or the balls to trade up for Fields