Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins melts under pressure, real or perceived
So, let me see if I understand.

Lions haven't scored 20 in a game since week 1.

Vikings D gives up 20 to said team IN ONE QUARTER OF FOOTBALL.

Cousins is to blame.

Gotcha.

I'm not saying we have stupidest fan base in the NFL, but we're definitely in the window licker division if you believe that.

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
@StickyBun said:
Guys: the O line is a shit show. Please stop with blaming Cousins. Z needs to go.
You are right about Cousins but can someone please tell me why he can't throw more than a two yard pass on 3rd and long.
A lot of bad to mediocre players playing for the Vikings now, but Cousins isn't helping them out much.
Actually, he has...but, if everybody he can see is covered and he's about to get steamrolled (all too often), he has to take what he can see in a tiny amount of time.

I think it completely escapes people that QBs have to move, scan, process, and throw with a fraction of the visibility viewers get.

Quote: @medaille said:
The result of the game is a accumulation of everything that happened in it, not just how it ended.  If Kubiak stopped calling so many WR screens on 3rd and long with no blockers, we probably win.  If Cousins played above backup caliber in the first half, we probably win.  If the defense played better on just the last drive, we probably win.  If the defense played better throughout the rest of the game, we probably win.
Cousins doesn't do average, competent football.  He either plays well or he sucks and it averages out to mediocre, but Zimmer's defense was very poorly schemed today.  I would have been blitzing constantly.  The last drive was a masterpiece of conservative ineptitude.
If Kirk's blindside had ANY f**king blocking in the first half, you think he might've had a better result?

In yesterday's game, they had exactly twice the QB pressures that we had....

Quote: @Zanary said:
@medaille said:
The result of the game is a accumulation of everything that happened in it, not just how it ended.  If Kubiak stopped calling so many WR screens on 3rd and long with no blockers, we probably win.  If Cousins played above backup caliber in the first half, we probably win.  If the defense played better on just the last drive, we probably win.  If the defense played better throughout the rest of the game, we probably win.
Cousins doesn't do average, competent football.  He either plays well or he sucks and it averages out to mediocre, but Zimmer's defense was very poorly schemed today.  I would have been blitzing constantly.  The last drive was a masterpiece of conservative ineptitude.
If Kirk's blindside had ANY f**king blocking in the first half, you think he might've had a better result?

and they were missing their top pass rusher in Flowers, as well as another DL starter who is on the IR.  we always hear about the players our team is missing and its a running excuse for poor play,  but they are all professionals and its the coaches job to make sure they are ready when their number is called... they werent.

still Cousins makes his share of WTF throws and needs to be called out from time to time.

Quote: @Zanary said:
@medaille said:

I don't know why you are making this out like we'd be arguing this point, when you're adding another element that I'd agree with but just didn't list.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
https://twitter.com/christomasson/status...4957730822
They finished last year ranked #29 in points allowed --- behind all but Jax, Raiders and Lions. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@medaille said:
Under this logic, why does any QB get credited with game winning drives to win games? Its all 'accumulation', right?? 

Yeah, Cousins does all kinds of football, including average. And he played well enough to for the Vikings to win this game. 
Nobody cares about game winning drives until you get to the point where you try and figure out why the normal ways of ranking QBs are wrong with your opinion.  I do think there's some validity in thinking that a QB who has game winning drives has some clutchness, and Cousins has shown a lot more clutchness the last two years than in previous seasons.  In an ideal QB, you'd consistently be winning at the end of the game and not have as many opportunities for game winning drives, and then they'd go out an win a game when behind at the end of the game.

I do agree that Cousins played well enough to win if our defense was average, but we also would have won if Cousins didn't completely suck in the first half.

My main point is that I don't agree with the viewpoint that there's only one issue.  The defense is the biggest issue, but I don't think Cousins will ever be consistently good enough to win a SB, because he always has some games where he causes the offense to completely disappear.  He is getting better, so maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Vikings were a 54 yard field goal and 3 seconds away from being swept by the Lions this year. 

#Vikings defensive rankings since Week 1 of the 2020 season:

Points Allowed = 27th

Total Yards Allowed = 26th

Passing Yards Allowed = 25th

Rushing Yards Allowed = 28th

COUSINS!