Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It’s over . . Time to let go
Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ay-enough/
This is spot on...

Good enough isnt good enough. Time to hit re-set. 

Our lovable losers remind us again that the unthinkable is possible.  This team sucks, and probably will for another 2 or 3 seasons of rebuilding.  Oh well, it's not like we all haven't been through this before.

The Wilfs hiring strategy is like the coaching strategy of the head coaches they have hired -- conservative.  They need to swing for the fences and if they strike out, try again.

Vikings' frustration is evident after loss to the Cowboys. So what's next?The Minnesota Vikings opened "Sunday Night Football" with a beautifully scripted, seven-play, 75-yard touchdown drive and took a 7-0 lead on the Dallas Cowboys.
With the Cowboys having ruled out star quarterback Dak Prescott because of a lingering calf injury, the Vikings were given the gift of facing a quarterback, Cooper Rush, who had completed one NFL pass, and none since 2017.
The Vikings were playing at home, in front of a remarkably loud crowd, and they had their best skill position players healthy.
After their opening drive, they managed nine points against a statistically poor defense, and the Vikings' once-proud defense allowed Rush to beat them for a 73-yard touchdown pass and for the game-winning, last-minute touchdown, which came after three missed tackles allowed the Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott to convert a third-and-11.
The Vikings squandered a chance to score at the end of the first half and looked discombobulated on their last-chance drive, which ended with Kirk Cousins throwing a pass to nowhere.
The final: The Cooper Rush Cowboys 20, Vikings 16.
This is the kind of game that unravels a season, that destroys confidence, that leads to firings and organizational overhauls.
The Vikings are 3-4 and have not beaten a good team. This week they travel to Baltimore to face a better coach, Baltimore's John Harbaugh, and a better quarterback, former league MVP Lamar Jackson.
This game wasn't a must-win mathematically, but it became a must-win game emotionally when Prescott jogged off the field during pregame warmups.
There would have been no shame in losing to Prescott. Dak and his talented receivers would have been a difficult matchup for a Vikings secondary missing top cornerback Patrick Peterson.
The Vikings' defense should have been good enough to limit Rush, but he lit them up in the second half and especially on the game-winning drive, when all eight plays were Rush completions.
The Vikings' offense should have been good enough to make Rush's performance irrelevant. If they had scored 24 points, they would have won the game.
Cousins' statistics were, as usual, fine, but watching plays unfold live you could see that frequently he chose the safest option instead of looking downfield where receivers were running open. His caution kept the Cowboys in the game.
Adam Thielen scored on the first drive and finished with a strong line — six catches for 78 yards — but sounded angry after the game. Asked about the play-calling and game-planning, he said, "That's not my job but as competitors, yeah, we want the ball, we want opportunities, we feel like we have guys who can go up and make plays. We didn't do those things tonight …
"I'll say this — it's how we all feel. We've got to quit just hanging in games. Every game we just hang around, hang around, just let the other team hang around instead of putting our foot on the gas and going ...
"I would say if you're not frustrated, there's something wrong with you and you should not be on this team."
This is the second consecutive home loss after which Thielen sounded like he wanted to follow Stefon Diggs out of Minnesota.
Coach Mike Zimmer excused Cousins' check-down passes, saying he was under pressure, but that wasn't uniformly true.
As for the Vikings' myriad mistakes, Zimmer said, "Those are the kinds of things that get you beat. We'll continue trying to get better in those situations."
It's too late to sell the still-improving angle. This is Zimmer's eighth year and he has hand-picked his assistant coaches. Since the Vikings beat New Orleans in the playoffs, they are 10-14.
"We're just not as consistent overall as a football team as we need to be," Zimmer said.
There is consistency, and Thielen cited it. For two seasons the Vikings have stumbled against bad or battered teams.
In consecutive seasons, the Cowboys have come to Minnesota and won with a backup quarterback. Last year it was Andy Dalton. This year it was someone wearing what looked like a discount Andy Dalton fake beard.
https://www.startribune.com/vikings-frus...600111926/

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Skodin" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
Where are those great building blocks again? Going to leave the next regime with a rookie QB that looks like PS material, an aging Theilen, a broken offensive and defensive line, an overpaid, always injured OLB, underperforming corners, an old safety that hasn't made a play all year, and a good RB that's starting to show signs of wear?

This thing isn't getting fixed tomorrow, but I agree we CAN stop shooting ourselves in the foot, and make some needed changes. It's a total crap shoot the next regime will be any better.
I think they're turning the corner with the OL, now they need time together, experience and an upgrade @ Center
I think KC can play a few more years if he's willing to give a bit on contract
Too early for me to judge Mond, but not counting on that one
The D needs re-tooling and they got a lot of guys on 1 years. 
100% agree on Smith

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
Where are those great building blocks again? Going to leave the next regime with a rookie QB that looks like PS material, an aging Theilen, a broken offensive and defensive line, an overpaid, always injured OLB, underperforming corners, an old safety that hasn't made a play all year, and a good RB that's starting to show signs of wear?

This thing isn't getting fixed tomorrow, but I agree we CAN stop shooting ourselves in the foot, and make some needed changes. It's a total crap shoot the next regime will be any better.
I think they're turning the corner with the OL, now they need time together, experience and an upgrade @ Center
100% agree on Smith

@"mgobluevikes" said:

100% agree on Smith

@"mgobluevikes" said:

100% agree on Smith

I think we have 2 O-tackles.
I agree on Cousins.
Mond was a giant reach who's never had great accuracy and plays like a robot.
The D has been in re-tooling mode Since we lost Phat Pat and the boys, and has slid further as the back end has become toothless.
D been re-tooling since when?  Good lord . . talk about dramatic.  
2015, 2016, 2017, 2019 amazing defenses

Darrisaw, ONeil, Jefferson, Osborn, ISM, Cousins, Cook
Hunter, Tomlinson, Kendricks, 
Owners that want to spend
Facilities that are top notch

There is a lot to build off of here.
I think you can cross Cook off that list of rocks to build upon.   I find it highly unlikely,  with the way he gets dinged up all the time,  that he will be much help in 2 years of so when this team is ready to compete again.  unload that contract and maybe add back a day 1 or early day 2 pick in the process IMO.
If I am a GM or Head Coach candidate, I would love the opportunity to step in January 2022 and have Dalvin Cook as my running back.  I get the tread on the tires point but still, give me the tools/weapons to be successful.  

Come out and make best use of these assets, you can easily gain momentum to build your program.  Think of what McVay did when he took over the Rams gig in 17, he had a still very productive Todd Gurley and additional key pieces that Jeff Fisher couldn't make best use of.  

There is a lot in the cupboard here
RBs are a dime a dozen,  Cook is just one of the better ones so maybe 2 dimes,  but I still dont know that he is a crucial piece to a GM or Coach that knows that they need to build a defense and find a QB of the future.  IMO a starting RB is the last piece to a roster as they are easily replaced and have the shortest shelf life.

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:

100% agree on Smith

@"mgobluevikes" said:

100% agree on Smith

@"mgobluevikes" said:

100% agree on Smith

@"mgobluevikes" said:

100% agree on Smith

I think we have 2 O-tackles.
I agree on Cousins.
Mond was a giant reach who's never had great accuracy and plays like a robot.
The D has been in re-tooling mode Since we lost Phat Pat and the boys, and has slid further as the back end has become toothless.
D been re-tooling since when?  Good lord . . talk about dramatic.  
2015, 2016, 2017, 2019 amazing defenses

Darrisaw, ONeil, Jefferson, Osborn, ISM, Cousins, Cook
Hunter, Tomlinson, Kendricks, 
Owners that want to spend
Facilities that are top notch

There is a lot to build off of here.
You're making my point for me:

-I was referring to the O-line We have 2 pieces on the O-line in O'Neil and Darrisaw. Never mentioned WR other than the fact that we shouldn't be dumping more money into an aging Thielen.

-Hunter is the only one on that line that looks exceptional on the D-line, and is starting to get nicked up. We resigned signed Griffen on his last hurrah begged to come back, and an afterthought, to bail our bacon. Kendricks, Cousins, Cook are fine, but I was referring to Barr who should have been wearing a Jets uniform last year, and why did Harry get a fat new contract?  The fact that we have no back end to our D and despite adding beef, the middle gets no push and gets gashed by good backs is telling.

-This defense is going to be in rebuild mode with starting caliber S, CB's, OLB, DE, NT/DT while we will need at least 2 more O-linemen, a viable true #2 WR next to JJ

-Owners are fine in that they don't meddle, but seem to have no clue about building a winning football organization or urgency in doing so. They are loyal to a fault, and why not? Their P&L look great no matter what they do competitively.

Zimmer needs to go and while blowing up the roster makes some sense, it will not happen. 

1. The trade deadline is tomorrow. Even if we held an absolute bargain basement fire sale how many deals are realistically getting done in one day?
2. This team has needed a rebuild for 2 straight offseasons and it hasn’t happened, why would it happen now?
3. We’re a game below .500, not 1-6. And even if we were 1-6, NFL teams for whatever reason almost never blow it up at the deadline. NFL is a lot different than say the Cubs this past season in the MLB.

I think we probably have to wait until the offseason. I just hope a major shakeup is coming.

The NFL is a lot different than baseball because there's no minor league. Not like somebody's going to give us 4 prospects that we can judge. It's why it's so hard to turn around quickly if you have no talent. Have to start in the trenches, and hit the lottery with right scheme and right skill players.

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
The NFL is a lot different than baseball because there's no minor league. Not like somebody's going to give us 4 prospects that we can judge. It's why it's so hard to turn around quickly if you have no talent. Have to start in the trenches, and hit the lottery with right scheme and right skill players.
yep,  defensive tackles, and offensive guards and a center ( was it just me or did Udoh look bleh again yesterday?)  I think we are closer on the lines than we were a year ago, so maybe not as far as it seems after a nut punch loss,  but there are certainly enough holes on this roster to really cast doubt on a quick turn around IMO.