Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soooo....Is it time to shut up about Kirk?
Quote: @medaille said:
I think the thing we need to really stop doing is trying to
nitpick which one person is the reason for all the problems or toggling
between the black and white choices of Cousins is perfect and Cousins is
garbage.  This is a team sport, and there
is a lot of room for shades of gray.

I think it’s pretty clear that Cousins is playing some of
the best ball of his career recently, but that hasn’t really led to wins, and he
hasn’t been the primary issue in those losses, but he also hasn’t really
carried the team on his back.  One win doesn’t
really mean that we’re on a new trajectory, or that this is the new normal for
the Vikings.  I do feel pretty confident in
saying that if you want to get the most out of Cousins, focus on the
OLine.  They played well today.  Keep them playing well.

No doubt...That and have something pretty good @ tail-back in a Mattison or Cook. 

This is doubly true facing that Brownies DL this week. 

For multiple reasons, Vikings fans seem reluctant to enjoy how well Cousins is playing. If the Vikings had a winning record, he would even be an early MVP candidate.Everything that happened in the six months between the start of the NFL "league year" in March and the start of the season suggested the Vikings were a team in transition at quarterback — and that many fans and plenty within the organization were ready for that change.

First there were persistent rumors that the 49ers or possibly the Broncos could trade for Kirk Cousins.
Then the Vikings drafted Kellen Mond in the third round — and there were whispers at least that they had considered moving up in the first round to take Justin fields.
Throw in the Cousins vaccination story, him missing a significant part of camp and head coach Mike Zimmer publicly reacting to unvaccinated players ... and, well, it contributed to a less-than-great narrative for the expensive Vikings QB going into the season.
So naturally, through three games, Cousins is playing MVP-caliber football. Yes, I said that.
He's not in that discussion right now because the Vikings are 1-2. But that record is not his fault. He nearly rescued a flawed Vikings performance in Week 1 and had the Vikings driving for the game-winning score before Dalvin Cook's fumble. He had another strong game and clutch drive against the Cardinals before Greg Joseph's missed field goal. And he played about as well as I can remember him playing in Sunday's win over Seattle.
Win at least two of those — or especially all three — and Cousins is in the early MVP discussion, as Patrick Reusse and I talked about on Monday's Daily Delivery podcast.
Fans are seemingly reluctant to admit it, having bought into the "Bye, Kirk" narrative. They want to suggest that his stats are empty calories, but he's done it in the clutch this year — at least so far — as evidenced by his No. 2 ranking in ESPN's Total QBR metric through three games of the season.
You can dislike Cousins — for good reason — because he refuses to get vaccinated, a decision that is a public health risk and gives him a greater chance of missing time this year.
You can be frustrated with his uneven performances with the Vikings in three-plus years and the fact that Minnesota's significant financial investment in Cousins has yielded just one playoff appearance while forcing other hard roster decisions.
But if we just zero in on this season, Cousins has been terrific. It's a shame the Vikings wasted two of those three games, and it's certainly possible that some clunkers are on the horizon based on what history tells us.
For now, though, try to enjoy this version of Cousins instead of just grudgingly half-accepting it.
https://www.startribune.com/admit-it-vik...600101289/

Best part of Kirk is that the o-line seems to be gelling and playing well.  And that Kirk and Klint seem to be gelling even more.  Gotta like how the offense is coming together.

Quote: @medaille said:
I think the thing we need to really stop doing is trying to
nitpick which one person is the reason for all the problems or toggling
between the black and white choices of Cousins is perfect and Cousins is
garbage.  This is a team sport, and there
is a lot of room for shades of gray.

I think it’s pretty clear that Cousins is playing some of
the best ball of his career recently, but that hasn’t really led to wins, and he
hasn’t been the primary issue in those losses, but he also hasn’t really
carried the team on his back.  One win doesn’t
really mean that we’re on a new trajectory, or that this is the new normal for
the Vikings.  I do feel pretty confident in
saying that if you want to get the most out of Cousins, focus on the
OLine.  They played well today.  Keep them playing well.
Truth. Actually, Cousins ain't half bad when he doesn't get time. He's still mostly efficient and effective, with the 5th highest QB rating when under pressure.

But he can be absolutely DEADLY when he gets time. 

The meeting with Zim must have done it. Eh it couldn't have hurt. 

Quote: @greediron said:
Best part of Kirk is that the o-line seems to be gelling and playing well.  And that Kirk and Klint seem to be gelling even more.  Gotta like how the offense is coming together.
Yes, Week 1 it seemed like there were jitters all around...  the OL was shaky, Kirk wasn't getting the ball on time, and Kubiak couldn't get the offense in a rhythm.

That's all changed the last two weeks.  Best part about yesterday is Kirk was hitting the top of his drop and the ball was coming out.  He even tried to extend a few plays and the 3rd down pass to K.J. to extend that late 4th quarter drive was HUGE...  especially with pressure right in his face and a big hit after he got the ball out.

Hopefully the offense can keep this rhythm while the defense continues to gel with all the new comers.

Gotta love the seahawks twitter sadness
https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/statu...3630746639

read the comments.   :'(

Quote: @greediron said:
Gotta love the seahawks twitter sadness
https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/statu...3630746639

read the comments.   :'(
LOL,  where have I read those before.   Reminds me of a scene from Tombstone and explains why Vikings fans hate the Seahawks. 

Doc: [incredulously] And you must be Ringo. Look, darling, Johnny Ringo. The deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?
Big Nose Kate: You don't even know him.
Doc: Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.

The comments about the hit by Griffen made me laugh.