Quote: @Skodin said:
@mblack said:
@Skodin said:
@IDVikingfan said:
@mblack said:
@IDVikingfan said:
@Vikergirl said:
@mblack said:
Yet someone is dead. But I will not be surprised if the victim is to blame.
Me either. There is body cam footage and audio. Reforms and accountability are needed. 
Hmmm, you posted a quote from the BC police chief that the PO grabbed his gun instead of his taser and that it was an accidental shooting.  How can the victim be to blame for the PO's error and action?
Have you been reading this forum?
Yes, I have been and have since watched the body cam.  He didn't "make her choose the wrong weapon" or did he make her shoot.  He did make a major error.  Based on the timeline, the shooting would never have happened if he hadn't resisted and tried to pull away in the car.
This a fuck up on both sides, period.  He fucked up by trying to run, the PD fucked up by using a firearm instead of a taser.  

Frankly, this should a sobering event for both sides to admit faults and find room to avoid these interactions.
Please help me understand how trying to run was a requirement to getting shot. There is also the minor detail that the car started moving AFTER he was shot and also ran into another car AFTER he was shot.
Let me guess, it was a mistake. But one person is dead from that mistake. If a police officer cant tell the difference between a taser and a gun then maybe they should not be an officer. Its not like the officer reacted under pressure or her life was in danger. She announced "taser, taser" and there were a few seconds before the shot so all this while she could not tell she was holding a gun? That is simply gross negligence 
No doubt gross negligence, and no one is stating that running gives them the right to shoot you . . . . . BUT . . .  in the case of interactions with police officers, anything you do, including talk, will work against you.  Even the most innocent of interactions with PD, with a person of interest sharing information can easily result in more trouble.  The police ultimately have the authority to make any interaction worse for you, they have that power both by law and by force and usually by numbers.

Regardless of who you are, what color you are, any pushing back (other than exercising your 5th amendment) will result in a worse interaction for anyone.  

Take a couple minutes and watch this fascinating video by a law professor (and police officer) who tells you the TRUTH about your rights and what you should do in every interaction with a police officer.  Ultimately it is, even if you believe you are innocent, say nothing, period.  Exercise your right to the 5th amendment, and never speak to a police officer.  

In our "Miranda rights", which are given to us before arrest, it says YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, bingo, exercise that right BECAUSE "anything you say can and will be USED AGAINST YOU in a court of law".  Not for you, against you.

Again regardless of your sex, race, etc., you need to know your rights against set of power mechanisms our society has allowed.

What you just said is the problem that needs to be addressed. Police officers are not infallible. They have way too much power and that should not be the case. That is a problem.
"YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT" does not mean you should/must be silent. It means you can be silent if you choose to and being silent can't be held against you. However, if an officer asks you a question and you don't answer they get mad and you will be blamed for not answering the question. If you say you were exercising your fifth amendment the narrative will be that you are hiding something. We have seen that time and time again.
I will say this.... the only option you have is agreeing with whatever the cop says/perceives. Any disagreement is bad be it by saying something or being silent. And that is where we are.  That is a problem that needs to be addressed. Body cams help tell part of the story but what good is the story when one person (the non cop) is not treated as equal? The story being told by the cam is often tainted by the odds against the civilian because of the enormous power bestowed on the police. 
Note, I am not disagreeing with you. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@mblack said:
Me either. There is body cam footage and audio. Reforms and accountability are needed. 
This isn't the first time this mistake has been made.   Maybe a non lethal device that doesn't pull and feel like a gun is in order. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
@mblack said:
This isn't the first time this mistake has been made.   Maybe a non lethal device that doesn't pull and feel like a gun is in order. 
One is about 8 ounces, the other about 2.4 lbs. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
@mblack said:
One is about 8 ounces, the other about 2.4 lbs. 
When adrenaline is pumping you dont feel weight like you normally would,  you dont see and hear things like you normally would,  time is different,  you can try and train for it,  but without the juice its just practice. 

Pretty good points from our backup safety. 

https://twitter.com/NoExcuses_23/status/...69346?s=20

I don't know how it is outside of this state, but people are just heart-broken about this up here...Angry, frustrated and heart-broken. 

What a tragedy. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Pretty good points from our backup safety. 

https://twitter.com/NoExcuses_23/status/...69346?s=20

It's not about how many officers were on scene.  Wright was told he was under arrest and had a warrant. He resisted arrest when the officers tried to cuff him and dived back inside his vehicle.  The officers have no idea if he is going for a weapon, trying to drive away, or what his intentions were.  Coincidently his warrant was reportedly for resisting arrest and possession of a firearm without a permit.  He was apparently arrested in June for walking down the street waiving a firearm in the air and resisting arrest.

Wright is not an innocent victim in this equation.  What happened is unfortunate for everyone involved, but if he doesn't resist arrest none of this ever happens. 

let's see a felony warrant   for a firearm  plus a charge for resisting arrest  then he resisted  tried to get in car hmm how  would the average person would react   no word if a weapon was in the car   plus he was a known gang member