Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Peterson

Hmmmm.  I am rejuvenated.
So we get a different All-Pro CB/Safety (PP?), two new DT run-stuffers (Tomlinson/Pierce), maybe a Pro-Bowl DE back (Hunter), and a Pro-Bowl LB (Barr)...all different than last seasons roster?
This kinda put me over the edge tonight.  In a good way.
Nice to be back among my purple brothers.

give me one more pass rusher. just one more

Dunlap?

With the players around him and Zim calling the defense,  I can see why Peterson will thrive.

The Vikings only prior big name UFA signing was Newman,  

In signing PP it knocked every Viking CB down a peg on the depth chart, 

Until now, that had never happened under Zim.

The Vikings had been trying to make a splash at CB in FA, but I was still not expecting them to go after a veteran CB like Peterson. It's an interesting move. Peterson has been one of the top CBs in the game for a while, but was declining in a system where they played the most man coverage in the league. He also has more experience than Dantzler, Gladney, and Hughes combined. I think he could benefit from a change of scenery like Rhodes did and have a bounce back year and I'm also intrigued about the idea of moving him back to FS if necessary. It's a low risk deal and even if Peterson is not elite anymore, he should still take pressure off of the young CBs and maybe we luck out and he turns into another Newman.

The Vikings are being a lot more active in FA than I would have expected. My guess is that Spielman and Zimmer are feeling pressure to save their jobs and expedite the rebuild/reloading on defense.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Damn. Put the Kindle down to charge for an hour and BOOM.

Not the type of signing we typically make. 
Yeah me too.....My SON told me five minutes ago

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Wow...Vikings exceeding expectations in free agency. So Peterson's only 30 years old. That surprised me. So is he a corner or our new free safety? Just read a blurb where he said he's willing to play safety to extend his career. 
We will see how creative they get, but he may be position-less. He will probably take the majority of his snaps at CB but that doesn't mean he won't line up as a safety in certain looks.  

Good signing for Minnesota, but no doubt he's on the downside of his career. He will help the team, however, and his versatility Z likes. Probably also be a very good mentor for the young 2nd year corners. 

Obvious that Zimmer is trying to rinse the bad taste of last year's atrocious D out of his mouth.